Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one of the great ad of the century....

Attachments

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
I see the contempt for BMW still holds even here!

They are good cars but...

During the last part of last year I had to drive an M3, the circumstances were complex but the car was my only transport for a month, it was fast and quite good fun, but the worst thing about owning such a car is the way you are viewed by other drivers. No one EVER lets you out from a turning, in my Soarer with its Lexus badges and understated looks EVERYONE 'lets me out' I live near the Newbury racecourse and in My soarer I have no trouble getting out ever, in the BMW I sat for nearly 15minutes even other BMW drivers don't let you go!
On the M4 I have never had been trailed by the rozzers since getting rid of my DB7, but that damned M3 had them back on my tail twice, I wasn't stopped but it was infuriating to be trailed at 75mph for mile after mile, in my Soarer I can pass any Rozzer on the M'ways at 90mph and they just smile and wave, I have NEVER been trailed or stopped, On both the BMW occasions I am certain I would have been 'done' for doing that. In London it just got worse Taxi drivers actually aim for these cars of that I'm certain, i could go on but suffice to say that when my baby returned and the M3 went back I was just SO thankful, to pay big money to be treated with such contempt is just plain stupid to me.

We should, and I mean this genuinely, be nice to MacLarenfan, someone has to be.

·
Premium Member
5,954 Posts
MclarenFan

is that Mclaren Mercedes???????

Just wondered :p

·
Registered
709 Posts
Nowt wrong with Beemers

Regardless of what most people think - I for one think that BMW make fine cars. I've owned a 325i and an M3 (both E30's) and couldn't fault them for performance and reliability. Live in central London and never had any real problems with other drivers. If I had the money I'd buy myself an M5 and I'd sooner have a E30 325i over an non-turbo Skyline anyday.

Talat.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Nice cars, BMW. I own one, an M5 (6cyl. 340 bhp). Despite the fact that it's a nice car, I will

TRADE MY M5 AGAINST THE RIGHT SKYLINE GT-R ANYTIME

Do I need to say more ?:smokin:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: MclarenFan

Simonh said:
is that Mclaren Mercedes???????

Just wondered :p
McLaren as in Bruce McLaren. not any car or any company just Bruce McLaren. most of the guys think Fangio, Senna or Schumi is the greatest ever but i think none of them are better than Bruce.

btw very funny this is the first time i heard ppl complain about my sig. i've had is since Oct last year.... *shrugs*

·
Registered
9,090 Posts
surely you mean none of them IS better than bruce? ;)

btw.

Schumacher
then Senna
then Prost
then maybe Fangio
then Mclaren.

in fangio's days, one grand prix win could get you the title.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Schumacher above senna???

I don't think so.

The rest I'll agree with.

Coolest F1 champion however would be 'James Hunt' :smokin:

·
Registered
709 Posts
I think it's silly to compare drivers of different era's. Although it baffles me as to why people think Schuey is the greatest when the quality of the opposition is so poor.

Anyway the point of this post for all you GP gurus is that you've missed out Jim Clark from your GP greats list. I thought Senna was the greatest - but this is just my opinion.

Talat.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Yep, Senna all the way. His driving skills in the wet alone were simply awesome. Twas a very sad day when he met his maker.

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Tazio Nuvolari, it was he who managed to tame the terrifying V12 and V16 Auto-Unions in the inter-war period, even Ascari who I think is No2 conceded Nuvolari to be 'a man beyond description'.
with Fangio 3rd, Schumacher 4th and Senna 5th.

If you can please go and see or get from a library a Video about the great Mercedes vs Auto-Union contests of that era, to travel round the Nurburgring at speeds equal to that put up by modern Skylines etc in a car with 5"wide 'Englebert' tyres, 480hp, Drum brakes and a leaf spring transaxle makes these guys true Heroes.

The Auto-Union team were the original Silver Arrows, and Mercedes just took this name over!

The Auto-Union V12 and particularly the V16 are considered to be the hardest GP cars ever to master, the V16 had 4WD and was lethal as it was often raced with no centre diff!!!

Way beyond any of the guys out there now.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Talking of that era, one shouldn't forget Bernd Rosemeyer in the Auto Union V16 then. It was he who destroyed all the opposition in the 36 Eifelrennen in thick fog, Nuvolari included. He lapped 40 seconds quicker than Nuvolari. He died the following year in a 270 mph accident during a speed record attempt.

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
But he lived 6 miles from the track for more than 10 years so had 'insider' knowledge so to speak, but he was a great driver none the less.

These guys were Lions!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts