GTR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

A couple of months ago I went to the Mercedes Testing Ground in Germany, I went with Dirk Schoymans to specifically work on my wet handling. The testing center was simply incredible and the tire testers rate it as being one of the best centers in the world. They have a number of different courses including a Wet Handling track (with sprinkler system), 12KM high-speed oval, high speed skid pan and a small replica of the Hokenheim circuit . I have included the link below:

http://www.atp-papenburg.de/englisch/information/strecken.html

Best of the entire center is open 365 days a year 24hrs a day, it is also extremely good value for money. We spent a whole day on the wet handling track, high speed skid pan and we did some laps on the Oval and it came to about 200 pounds each. You only pay for the ‘time’ spent in each of the areas so you can spend 20 minutes and come into the canteen/car park and go out again for 40 minutes and you will only be billed for 1 hr. It is not a track day and cameras are a banned but once you are in your assigned area you can do what you like. You need to book your areas in advance on the busy days but Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon are the slower days. You also need to have a company that they can invoice too and be prepared to say your are booking the area for test purposes rather than saying ‘me and my mates want to see who can pull the biggest 4th gear power slide’.

If we get enough interest perhaps we can get a group and go their together, but now for the bad news. The test center is about a 6-7hr journey from Calais and is located in next to the Dutch border in Northen Germany.

/Dan

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Banked Oval

Aha,

Well seeing as my R34 was still in peices I took a Boxster S. Top speed I did was 260 but I was doing that with my hands off the steering wheel. The bank turns allows constant 250KMH without actually steering the car. If I was in the R34 I could easily maxed out as banked turns are rated up to either 320 or 340.

Dan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts