GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if anybody has had fitted or fitted themselves, the Messiah chip for the PS2?

If so how good is it and how difficult is it to fit?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
A friend installed a similar style chip, and the bloke at the Comp fair said "its just a bit of soldering"

We actually found out that you need a 0.1 mm soldering iron tip and he ended up burning half the track on the board!!

Get someone at a Comp fair to do it or you and tell them you want a warranty (i.e. they show you it working on a telly infront of you once its been fitted, if it dont work you want a new PS2)

Rob

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Get someone else to do it... Its supplied and fitted at most fairs for £100 As said make sure they show you it working...

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, cheers, it does look pretty tricky to do, 23 minute wires...

I wondered how well they worked, i.e. non swap, etc...?

·
Registered
221 Posts
i agree don't even THINK about installing a messiah yourself unles you an expert solderer or u will end up with a dead ps2

dor details on all the different ps2 chips available go HERE

Ish:smokin:

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Decided to have a go and it works a treat. Very tricky soldering, not sure I'd do it again but I've just found a source of PS2 'back up discs'... ;)

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Kudos to you PeterE if you did it yourself - I took one look at the specs and decided if I was gonna get it done, I would get the pros to do it :)

Tekken 4 JAP is amazing by the way! :smokin:

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Durzel,

Well if I'm totally 100% honest, I took the PS2 apart to get the main board out and put it all back together again, did all but 8 of the connections myself but I did pay a guy £10 to do these last 8 as they were so incredibly tight. The chip itself is only about 15mm long so you see on the attached picture how tight things are....

Mine is a version 3 which is supposed to be the most difficult to do, apparently versions 4 & 5 are easier...

Do you know of any good sources for Japanese games then?

Peter.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Peter,

when will you actually get someone else to do something for you ??

next time you try something like that give me a shout and I'll lend you my teeny tiny soldering iron.
it is a 15w the size of a pencil for doing fine pcb work...

well done that looks like a bastard of a job (and I'm an electronics engineer)

enjoy the cheap games...

/Steve

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers Steve. I should have thought of you shouldn't I. :rolleyes: I bought a 15w soldering iron and ended up filing the end so it was needle sharp. Did you get your pads sorted out?

Peter.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
PeterE said:
Do you know of any good sources for Japanese games then?
A friend of mine bought his copy of Tekken 4 off Ebay recently. The US/Euro versions arent out til September at the earliest, plus the advantage of the JAP version is that it isn't artificially crippled speed-wise like the PAL equivalents always end up being. :mad:

By the way, fancying doing mine if I make it worth your while? I was looking at spending £120+ to get the same place as did my mates to do it.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure I could stand the pressure again. Switching it on was akin, to a lesser extent, to starting my car after fitting the new cams, always expecting the worse. I'd resigned myself to the fact that it wouldn't work and I'd end up buying a new PS2.

I'll have a look on eBay, thanks. :)

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Duncan IV said:
also a guy i know installs Messiah's for £85 all in if anyone wants one
Im definitely interested.

However (without wanting to cause offence) - has he done it before at least once? I would presume I wouldn't have any kind of quantifiable warranty on the work would I? :( Then again, Im not even sure if I do with traditional places...

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Duncan,

Thanks for telling about the guy doing the Messiah for £85, my chip alone cost me £83. :(

Still I like your pm, sounds very interesting. :)

Durzel,

I'd go for it if I were you. It opens up a whole new world as I'm finding out....

Peter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts