GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will shortly be having fitted a t3/t4 turbo, upgraded turbo elbow and nismo 555cc injectors fitted to my R33 GTSt.

I currently have an after market exhaust (Japspeed) de-cat pipe and Trust downpipe an uprated fuel pump and iridium plugs. I am running with a Greddy boost controller and Apexi AFC. Before anyone suggests it I can't have a Power FC as the car is an automatic.

My question is with all the extra power the new turbo will give me (I hope) will I need a metal head gasket? I did read somewhere but can't find it now that the series 1 GTSt (as mine is) has a metal head gasket already, is anyone able to confirm this?

Finally, if a replacement metal head gasket is needed can anyone recommend the appropriate thickness, as I see there is a range available.

Definately finally.... I see that metal head gaskets for the Gtst come in a range of bores, is there anyway of telling which one I will need without taking the head off. I say this as I use the car every day and would like to order the parts I need from nengun in advance of the car going to the tuners.

TIA

mf.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Unless your going well over 1.5 bar and 500hp I wouldn't be worrying about the head gasket, spend the money on good tuning.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Yes

·
Through the Night
4,267 Posts
Head gasgets on Skylines are very relaible ,that is not one of there week points ,a well set up GTR should be ok on 600bhp at the fly.

419 Posts
I

Quite agree. But I think you would be a stupid man to remove the cylinder head at that level of boost and replace it with a standard one!

Tony

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
tonysoprano said:
But I think you would be a stupid man to remove the cylinder head at that level of boost and replace it with a standard one!

Tony
He doesn't have the head off already, he's asking if he should pull the head off to change the gasket to a metal one for the power level he's talking about and in my opinion no.
I have built many many engines from scratch as highish power motors (600-700+) and most times use a stock head gasket and not 1 has ever failed.

If your damaging RB head gaskets at 600hp at the fly, your tuning needs some attention.

I'm not saying a metal head gasket isn't better, but I am saying that it is not needed.

Rob

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
How many stock head gaskets have you had blow?
If any, at what power/boost levels?

mutleysfriend said:
I will shortly be having fitted a t3/t4 turbo, upgraded turbo elbow and nismo 555cc injectors fitted to my R33 GTSt.

My question is with all the extra power the new turbo will give me (I hope) will I need a metal head gasket? I did read somewhere but can't find it now that the series 1 GTSt (as mine is) has a metal head gasket already, is anyone able to confirm this?

mf.

He's not likely to be making any more than 450hp, so to answer his question, I still say no.

I think too many people go ahead and install parts or do mods that are not really needed for their aplication thats all, but at the end of the day, if people want to spend extra time and money for what they perceive as extra insurance thats up to them.

Kind of like guys who say you must have forged pistons anywhere over 450hp, says who?? probably only the guy trying to sell you the pistons I think :blahblah:

·
Through the Night
4,267 Posts
What I was suggesting was as Tony Said ,for that power not relly needed but if the head comes off ,it would indeed be daft to have a standard gasget fitted ,but if the head is not coming off I dont see it as being a problem at that level .

·
Registered
296 Posts
Many thanks for the info everyone. I don't want to pull the head off anytime soon, so if the OEM gasket will hold up under 1.3-1.4 kg/cm2 pressure then that is good enough for me. It's not the part that is the prob, its finding the time to do it...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hello !
Sry for bumping this old thread. But im running for 550-600 BHP in my car, and wonder do i relly need a new head gasket ?
How about the mainfold an plenum gaskets ?

I was about to buy a metal gasket kit from Tomei but then i read this and changed my mind. Can i run on stock gasket ? My car has some miles on the meter

Best regards
//Varro

·
Registered
366 Posts
Im doing it. Cheap insurance. rb26 + 2530s

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Let's not forget the original poster (albeit in 2006...) was asking about an RB25DET engine running a bigger turbo at higher boost, he needs to drop the CR a good bit, and a thicker head gasket is the simplest, if far form the best way of dooing this. My personal take is the stock multi layer steel shim (metal) head gasket is fine and bullet proof, and it's best to keep a tight squish and drop CR with piston choice or machining, or combustion chamber machining, keeping the stock .9mm gasket thickness.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts