GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought an R32 GTR a short while ago with the intention to keep it moderately stock with a goal of maybe 350 WHP. Slowly replacing things such as vacuum lines and hoses, but after reading up on the risk of running higher PSI on the stock ceramic turbo I want to look at replacing those next. I've seen a few threads about HKS 2530s and Garret 2860s, but I cant imagine their the only reliable turbos on the market?

Started looking at possible replacements other than those and came across some MHI TD05H-06's for decent price. Retains the journal bearing and is a direct bolt-up for about 700 Euro a pop. Anyone have any experience with these or have any other recommendations?

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you're only aiming for 350whp you can't go wrong with a set of 2860-7's

Imo though if you've got the funds i'd scrap the twins entirely and go for a modern single setup, better than twins in every way.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,193 Posts
Bought an R32 GTR a short while ago with the intention to keep it moderately stock with a goal of maybe 350 WHP. Slowly replacing things such as vacuum lines and hoses, but after reading up on the risk of running higher PSI on the stock ceramic turbo I want to look at replacing those next. I've seen a few threads about HKS 2530s and Garret 2860s, but I cant imagine their the only reliable turbos on the market?

Started looking at possible replacements other than those and came across some MHI TD05H-06's for decent price. Retains the journal bearing and is a direct bolt-up for about 700 Euro a pop. Anyone have any experience with these or have any other recommendations?
Don't know those turbos but I'd imagine that they won't fit without different manifolds etc.

Once you get into changing manifold the cost goes up and you start looking at single turbo options

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems that the MHI bolts up without any modification:

MHI Performance Turbo upgrade up to 700HP for Nissan Skyline Showroom Nissan Skyline Coupe 2.6 Turbo 4x4 2568 ccm, 206 KW, 280 HP

I'll follow up on that though. And not that I want to be cheap, but holding out throwing too much money at the powertrain until I can get the body rust taken care of, so probably wont jump to single anytime soon. I'll definitely look into the Garrett 2860-7s, but I also would need an oil restrictor to impede flow to the ball bearing turbos, correct? Happen to know what size restrictors I would have to consider?

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Seems that the MHI bolts up without any modification:

MHI Performance Turbo upgrade up to 700HP for Nissan Skyline Showroom Nissan Skyline Coupe 2.6 Turbo 4x4 2568 ccm, 206 KW, 280 HP

I'll follow up on that though. And not that I want to be cheap, but holding out throwing too much money at the powertrain until I can get the body rust taken care of, so probably wont jump to single anytime soon. I'll definitely look into the Garrett 2860-7s, but I also would need an oil restrictor to impede flow to the ball bearing turbos, correct? Happen to know what size restrictors I would have to consider?
Why do people have such a hard time in believing that ball bearing turbos only need a mist of oil therefore the need to have oil restrictors. HKS 0.8mm works best with low mount twins with Oem, N1 Nismo and Jun oil pumps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why do people have such a hard time in believing that ball bearing turbos only need a mist of oil therefore the need to have oil restrictors. HKS 0.8mm works best with low mount twins with Oem, N1 Nismo and Jun oil pumps.
Not hard to believe, just needed the clarification you added about the restrictor. thanks for the info

1 - 7 of 7 Posts