GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just looking to replace my tyres and have decided to go for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S (Black Circles seems to be the cheapest), just wondered if anyone could confirm if I need them to be N0 / N1 or just XL? Also the sizes I'm looking at are 265/35/20 and 305/20/20, is anyone able to confirm this is
correct?

TIA!

·
Ooo Matron !
2,103 Posts
That size is slightly larger than standard but they fit fine and it's the size that most owners seems to go for. It's the size I fitted those tyres in that size on mine just over a year ago now. N0/N1 are Porsche spec but I bought the XL ones.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That size is slightly larger than standard but they fit fine and it's the size that most owners seems to go for. It's the size I fitted those tyres in that size on mine just over a year ago now. N0/N1 are Porsche spec but I bought the XL ones.
Thanks snuffy,

Do you know if there is actually any difference between the N0/N1 and XL?

·
Ooo Matron !
2,103 Posts
They are all XL anyway, but with the added bit (if that's the right word) for each car manufactures preference. As I recall when I looked into buying them, the N0/N1 etc had stiffer side walls (I think that was it, but it might have been some other difference). If you look at the wear rating and the wet grip rating, the standard XL ones are slightly better on both counts.

So I went with the normal XL ones because of the wear rating being a tad better and because they were also a few quid cheaper.

I suspect it's all much of a muchness really and there's nothing in it really.

Out of interest, I paid £1056 last February from Balckcircles as it happens, and it's coming up with £962 now.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes sorry 305/30/20!

OK that’s interesting, does that price include fitting? The price displayed to me is £1007 but I have a code for a further 10% off.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,103 Posts
I got £461 for the fronts and £540 for the rears, which is £1001. Then I used the code 4MICH40 for £40 off for buying 4, so £961 give or take a few pennies. That was the fitted price.

·
Vendor
1,823 Posts
Don’t we have any vendors on here who could put something together? Or is it sawn up with the big players.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,103 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
if you are a member of Cosco or know someone that is, i recently priced them up at about 850 fitted.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Isn't it worth going for 265/40 and 295/35, keeping the profile the same. Sure the ETS doesn't like the smaller radius otherwise.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,103 Posts
Probably mate, I just put the link up so the op could do the math
I popped them into Kwik-Fit's site just out of interest and they came out at £1001.

As you say, it's just for comparison. There's not much in it one way or the other. Call it £1k give or take £50 either way.

ATS are sometimes good, the previous time I put new tyres on they had a deal where I got a £100 fuel card.

·
R35 Section manager
10,836 Posts
I popped them into Kwik-Fit's site just out of interest and they came out at £1001.

As you say, it's just for comparison. There's not much in it one way or the other. Call it £1k give or take £50 either way.

ATS are sometimes good, the previous time I put new tyres on they had a deal where I got a £100 fuel card.
My local tyre bay charges £5-10 to fit a tyre subject to how he is on the day.

·
Vendor
1,823 Posts
My locals a £5 but he always does a good job so I give him £40 a set. He’s just not got a market for decent tyres,so struggles with pricing on new branded stuff.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,103 Posts
I took my Fiat 500 to a local garage to change all 4 tyres over to some new wheels I bought and they charged £17 a wheel ! Took them all of 30 minutes. He give me the bill and saw me balk at the price and said "that's our standard charge per tyre". So I paid him the £68 and I've never been back.

·
R35 Section manager
10,836 Posts
I took my Fiat 500 to a local garage to change all 4 tyres over to some new wheels I bought and they charged £17 a wheel ! Took them all of 30 minutes. He give me the bill and saw me balk at the price and said "that's our standard charge per tyre". So I paid him the £68 and I've never been back.
Yes another bay round us charges £18 per tyre, needless to say we have never used them

·
Ooo Matron !
2,103 Posts
Yes another bay round us charges £18 per tyre, needless to say we have never used them
The place I went to I used to take my small car to for servicing, MOT and repairs. They seriously shot themselves in the foot as now I go somewhere else. Okay, I'm sure it made no difference to them really, but I feel better for taking my business elsewhere now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts