GTR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

tomorrow I will install Michelin PS2 tires, for the simple reason that I couldn't get in time Toyo R888.
I want to try other tires for trackdays in winter conditions (read, Cold and wet)
Last trackday the bridgestones really s***ked (on small not fast clubcircuit)

Now I am trying PS2's in the following sizes:

Front tires: 255/40ZR20 with load index 101 (Y) N0 (= specific porsche code)
Rear tires: 295/35ZR20 with load index 105 (Y) N0

I was concerned about this load index as our GT-R is a heavy car;
But when I compare to the OEM standard I feel comfortable with the Michelins

OEM=Dunlop :
255/40R20 97y = 1609lbs or 730kg / tyre vs 1819lbs or 825kg for the PS2

rear= 285/35R20 100Y = 1764lbs or 800 vs 105Y or 2039 lbs or 925kg / tyre

Has someone tried the PS2's?
What is you opinion?

I will give you my testresults after this weekend

I do not expect in these weather conditions to lap record times but I do expect more grip than the Dunlops or Bridgestones (in current conditions)

greets

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
The german Race Academy cars had Pirelli PZero´s on....the cars felt indirect and slided a lot around compared to the Dunlop equiped cars we got delivered.....

The Michelin is worth a try,maybe works good on the car,have it on my Evo X,only downside is that it maybe has a too soft tyrewall for the heavy GTR...:confused:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The german Race Academy cars had Pirelli PZero´s on....the cars felt indirect and slided a lot around compared to the Dunlop equiped cars we got delivered.....

The Michelin is worth a try,maybe works good on the car,have it on my Evo X,only downside is that it maybe has a too soft tyrewall for the heavy GTR...:confused:
If you know a good circuit to test, you are welcome to test / compare it ..
think you have also enough circuit experience to handle it ;-)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Wont claim to be a circuit driver but my PS2 on my other car are exceptional on anything but snow.

They went to Milbrook with Colin and performed above his expectation on a heavy car with sideways grip and dealing with damp conditions.

For those who are mainly road drivers the long term wear is amazing and it also cured the cars "wheel hop" where odd bumps upset the stability system.

Where can I get them for the R35? I would have them plus a spare any day.

AM

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My First impression:

Totally no conflict of the 4WD system..
In the rear the tyre size difference is less than 1% (0.92% to be exact)

IN the rear tyres look realy good.
In general the feeling is less hard than OEM tyres;
Traction in straight line with temps of < 10°C is better than OEM (no wheelhub tested on same road with same conditions = dry very cold)
Noice is also better (not that it is important .. because my GTC ti exhaust is overruling any rolling sound)

I have only driven moderate corners so I cannot tell if it is better.

Keep in mind I use these tyres only for less optimal conditions; I am convinced that at this moment the Dunlops are still superior in normal conditions.
I hope also to have some driving experiences with Toyo's R888 asap.

Keep you informed!

grts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi guys,

Just to give an update on teh PS2 tyres;
Last weekend I drove several days on the circuit with them; Altough for street use the PS2's are fine, on the circuit they cannot reach the level of the dunlops.

When the tyres are cold you get a really 'moochie' feeling with a little bit dancing of the car, due to the absence of the strong sidewalls in the tyres?

When the right temperature is achieved, they are pretty ok, if you do not push the car to the limits.

Positive thing as many Michelin tyres, the wearage is constant.

So compared to the Dunlops; Dunlop = 7,5/10
PS2= 5,5/10

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Hi guys,

Just to give an update on teh PS2 tyres;
Last weekend I drove several days on the circuit with them; Altough for street use the PS2's are fine, on the circuit they cannot reach the level of the dunlops.

When the tyres are cold you get a really 'moochie' feeling with a little bit dancing of the car, due to the absence of the strong sidewalls in the tyres?

When the right temperature is achieved, they are pretty ok, if you do not push the car to the limits.

Positive thing as many Michelin tyres, the wearage is constant.

So compared to the Dunlops; Dunlop = 7,5/10
PS2= 5,5/10
So the Michelin PS2´s are as the Toyo R888´s......

With the Toyo´s the car is sliding allways a bit when driven hard on track,i was told from the journalist who tested my car last week,we installed the Dunlops and the car did stop sliding.....haven´t tested it yet myself on track,as the weather is shit again here in germany,snow,rain....:bawling::bawling::bawling:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts