GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

Ages ago, a car magazine ran an article on street racing in Japan. It mentioned a group of hardcore nutters that have a club under the name of "Midnight" and if I remember you need about 400hp to get in:D They spend there time speeding round the Tokyo ring road whilst trying to get the fastest lap time.

Is there any more info on the web about this? i have done a search but nothing comes up.

thanks
MR6

·
Registered
766 Posts
the Midnight Club? didnt they make a computer game about them? from the little bits i have heard, they are a group of racers that gather on the highways outside of Tokyo. but no there is absolutekly nothing on the net about them. maybe one of the Japanese members can help you (and me) out a bit better.

·
Registered
961 Posts
yeh ive got an artical bout that midnight club

you need to do over 160 to join. somthing to do with outrunnig the cops!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yeah Mito Natto I used to have the stickers on my old car! Though it wasnt really capable the new one meets all the forementioned criteria :D :smokin:

Bill

·
Registered
434 Posts
mitto nato is a bit of a gag

the midnight club is a group of racers that frequent the tokyo to yokohama expressway (the aqualine) which is above die-coke park (the main cruise type thing in tokyo area)

to be part of the midnight club you must be capable of over 180mph and have to be renowned as a great driver. Thats before they will even consider you! When you join you start at the bottom of the ranks, when you go out on the highway the more respected members will go at the front and the newer and less respected members at the back. Although there is apparently a great team spirit and they are just mucking about in fast cars.

Mitto Nato (hence my user name) is actually a joke. It is a fictional racing team made up by one of the guys that works for option video in japan (ken nomoura (nomen)) and basically the idea is that they have the "best" team in japan. So at shows they run round sticking mito nato racing stickers on the best cars and make them part of the team. it's very funny to watch, trust me!

Mat

·
Registered
434 Posts
shin,

it was actually akira, nomen and tarzan yamada that started it, but nomen does the sticker thing and makes me laugh so i put him there to less confuse issues!

as far as i know the osaka to yokohama freeway is the aqualine? anyway, as far as i know anywhere is game, but thats the popular one to race on! :D :p

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Yeah

Yes, you are right.
And the express way from Tokyo to Nagoya is Tomei express way.
And Express way from Chiba to Yokohama is called "Wangan" way.
Aqualine is quite new tunnel that goes through under the Tokyo bay from Kawasaki (near Yokohama) to a part of Chiba.

Yours,
Shin

·
Registered
434 Posts
woah! somebody knows there way round the racing roads in japan a little too well ;) lol. i didn't realise it was actually the wangan expressway, i just thought wangan was the term used for the high speed stuff, much like zero-yon (0-400) and touge (up and down road) ?

Good stuff anyway. nice to meet you! :smokin:

so have you spent a bit of time out there? it's been quite some time since i was last out there, but i spent most of my time in the north near morioka.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Oh, Morioka

Hi,

Morioka is Iwate prefecture, isn't it?
Have you ever tried "Wanko-Soba"??:D
Actually, I was born in Tokyo and lived there for 28 years before I moved here.
"Wangan" is the real name of one of the Tokyo Metropolitan Express Way.

Yours,
Shin

·
Registered
434 Posts
btw, if you look at the thread "my car in jap performance" by driftaholic, thats me on page two, top right with the matt black onevia! lol, been resprayed now - thank god! :D

·
Registered
434 Posts
ah, got ya now! that'll be why you know what your on about then! memory has failed me and i can't remember the name of the prefecture :( i was actually staying in a little town call hachinohe which is about 15 miles south of morioka and the dam us army base there! nice little place with some of the best touge i have seen!

Have to say though, my japanese is appauling so you'll lose me pretty quickly! sumimasen! isn't "wanko-soba" that drink thats a bit like pocari sweat? or am i being dumb?

so being from the city your a bit of a wangan racer then?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hachinohe

I thought it is north of Morioka.
I'm not sure because it is far north of Japan from Tokyo.
Is the base this?
http://www.ic.jmsdf.go.jp/~hatinohe/
Wanko-soba is traditional noodle eating endurance race in Morioka.:D
I can see you on JP.:)
I look forward to seeing you soon.
Nice One-via!!!
Please give my best regards to Nana!

BTW, sorry but I cannot say anything about Midnight here because I know too much about the club.;)

Yours,
Shin

·
Registered
434 Posts
what was called wanko then? i know i spent about two hours in mini-stop crying laughing at all the names of things, lol :D i never thought i'd see chocolates called "poop" lol

absolutley need to have lotterria chicken again!

no, thats not it, hachinohe is definatley south, it's pretty small. hatinohe is one of the sister towns to the north i think. There's about 6 or seven places around morioka that have almost identical names. image the fun i had reading the signs on the trains - kanji only! argh lol

May need to have a chat about the minight thing ;)

btw, well done for knowing what a onevia is! lol

·
Registered
434 Posts
S13 200sx and 180sx are the same thing, but there is a variation of the S13 called the silvia. BUT the chassis of both cars is exactly the same, so you can swap the front end from the silvia onto a 180sx which then makes a sil-80. If you put the front of a 180sx onto a silvia it becomes a 1-via.

currently i know of 5 sil-80's in the UK and 1 genuine 1-via - which is mine! :smokin:

which is actually built as a drift car and has a mental spec list :D

·
Registered
515 Posts
Don't forget Orido!

Don't think Nomura or Yamada have anyting to do with it do they? It's only made of racing drivers. Orido, Akira, Tsushiya etc. I might be wrong....it happens occasionally. I'm suprised you didn't know about the Wangan expressway...and to think you named a company after it. Shame on you oh great ginger one!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts