GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question for anyone using Millers octane booster.

I'm considering buying some Millers but was wondering which product everyone was using. I understand that 3 types are available - VSP Plus, Octane Plus and CVL. From what I've read the VSP Plus and Octane Plus are pretty much identical whilst the CVL is more potent.

I also understand that 1 bottle will treat around 25 litres of fuel on non-catted cars so how many bottles does everyone use per full tank ? I'm thinking about using 2 but I've heard people are more inclined to use 1. Any thoughts ?

This may seem like overkill but my car has been heavily modded and I don't want to risk a blown engine over a couple of quid.

Talat.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hi Talat,
at the trackday recently I bought some Millers off Guy.....don't know off hand which one though......and put it in my R32. Guy said that 1 small bottle would be enough for about a tank full, ie/ 50 to 60 litres. I'd filled up with Optimax and because of the somewhat brisk pace we all adopted getting to Kemble, I'd only got half a tank left. But I put in the whole bottle, hell lets live a little, was the thought!!
I have to say it felt superb. The response together with the whole car feeling more powerfull, oh and I must add that Scott told me later I'd shot an enormous flame.....well that made my day.....a genuine firebreather
....got to go, still in the office.....sad I know....I'll have a look tonight to see which one it is
Regards
"fire breathing" wroestar (but not a dragon, and definitely not welsh)

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
millers octane boosters

all the 3 work very well ,the vsp and octane plus work well but i spoke to the guy at millers that makes the stuff and the first 2 take the octane up almost 2 ron, but the CVL is the dogs bollocks
it makes 97 ron fuel the big 100 ron yes 3 octane points.it retails at £3.99 for the vsp and the oplus.the CVL is £4.99 and only does 20l fuel as the other 2 does 40l fuel.
as i have a apexi power fc fitted in my car i can see it working when i put it in very very little knock even on track days.

i have a good contact for it CVL £3.50 each not bad.

hope this helps you make your mind up.

keith cowie.

·
Registered
530 Posts
o'booster

Hi guys,
Talat....carrying on from last night, I've checked and found the stuff I used was the Octane Plus.........Guy got it I think in bulk for about £3.50 a bottle from his local car shop!

Keith.....interesting what you say about each type....forgive me if I'm being really stupid but you say that VSP and Octane Plus up the octane by 2 RON points when added to 40 litres of fuel. You then go on to say that the CVL increases the RON points by 3 but only treats 20 litres.
..........Now my basic grasp of chemestry is basic but on a dilution basis surely that makes the CVL up the RON points by 1.5 if put into 40 litres of fuel??? ie, more expensive and not as good!!!......Now as I said I'm probably TOTALY wrong with my line of thought......please educate me

Ian........I tried silcolene a few years back. Apart from being bloody awkward getting it in the tank in the first place, it didn't seem to make a blind bit of difference.........maybe I bought the wrong sort??
regards
A bemused & confused wroestar

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Confused ?

I'm getting a tad confused now as this is the email I received from Millers:

"For the best results today we would recommend 1 bottle of CVL to 20 litres of Shell Optimax Petrol. This will provide 101 octane.

Second best would be CVL in same ratio in premium unleaded which will give 99 octane.

VSP @ 1 bottle to 20 litres will provide similar results.

We do not recommend exceeding this dose else plug fouling will occur. We presume that your car is not cat-euqipped if it is please contact us again."

I don't know how you guy's are interpreting the above but it implies to me that there is nothing much between VSP and CVL when mixed with 20 litres of fuel - which doesn't make sense due to the price difference. Anyway I've emailed the guy back to see if he can clarify the situation and I'll let you know his response.

Keith, is your contact's price inclusive of VAT ? If so, any chance of getting his telephone number. The best price I've come across so far is £40 per 10 pack (for CVL) and £26.91 per 10 pack (for VSP) - prices are inclusive of VAT but don't include delivery.

Talat.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reply from Millers

Just got the reply from Millers:

"The carrier fluid in CVL is beneficial to combustion but highly flammable. VSP carrier is far less beneficial but not highly flammable.

You pays your money & takes your choice!!"

Don't know exactly what that means but reckon that VSP may be the way to go with regards to value for money.

Talat.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
well i was told to use the CVL as it was better than the other
two,and as far as i can see they all work well,the price i get the CVL is very good i bought 4 bottles last week for about £13 pounds inc vat .

i cant let you know where from, as this is a special price to me.

keith cowie.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CVL

Fair enough Keith, to be honest I thought £40 for 10 was a decent enough price considering that Demon Tweeks sell it for £5 a bottle.

I'll probably use VSP for everyday use and CVL for track days.

Talat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts