GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought the Mines Eibach suspension and thought I'd share with you my findings.
They are progressive springs, which means they aren't initially much stiffer than normal. In fact, according to Mines, they are only 20% stiffer than standard R34 V-Spec springs and ride heights are as follows:
FR:30mm-35mm
RR:15mm-20mm

At first, coming out of Abbey's driveway (and those that know it will remember the harshness of the surface) I did notice a fractionally 'sharper' feeling. But as soon as we were on a flat road, there was absolutely no difference whatsoever in ride quality, with the standard V-Spec shocks doing a great job of rounding off the jolts and bangs that would plague other well known springs.

I went recently to Milton Keynes, which is practically roundabout city, with national speed limit between. Basically, outside of a circuit, one of the best places to test both handling and brakes.
Because of it's 'progressive' nature, the springs act as normal until you get to the point where mass is applied and the springs become stiffer the more they're compressed. This meant that no compromises were made during rapid turns and the cars limit was always exploitable still, as always has been. Many aftermarket springs are too hard and are compromised in their handling and on the limit, the car becomes skittish and snap oversteer will always be a problem. Not so with the Eibachs, for the car still leans, although not as pronounced as before.

Braking is also a lot more effective, with a more even distribution of braking, meaning more effort can be applied without exerting too much pressure onto the fronts.

I have previously tried the Dowmax with non-Vspec shocks and found the ride to be a lot harder. But the height was a lot lower, so there was a compromise between ride height and ride quality.

If you want out and out performance with looks to boot, then the Dowmax springs are the best bet. But if you want a little more compromise for on-the-road drivability, then you should take a good look at the Eibach springs, which IMHO provide the best level of performance, looks and drivability. It also passed the ultimate test, the wife knew no different.

CemK

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Wheels

Cem,

Did you change your wheels at the same time as you changed the springs? Am I right in thinking you're running the standard shocks?

I saw the car at Abbey on Friday and it was looking very different from the last time I saw it(Bednight). Those brakes look the dogs conkers!

Howsie

·
Registered
773 Posts
Thanks for the post CEM. I've always found the suspension on high performance Japanese cars way too hard and uncompromising for our pot hole ridden roads, and have considered a European option. I currently have DowMax springs, and the car can be painfully hard over B roads.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has springs made for them specifically for UK roads? In my opinion, the Lotus Elise is an example of a car with low and stiff springs, but is absolutely fantastic on UK roads - not sure if thats a function of the springs, shocks or something else.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Trackday

Hi Shin,

Good talking to you on Friday and that engine looks fantastic.

I know its not the right place so I'll keep it brief. The track day was great with a nice selection of cars (Porker GT2 & GT3, TVR's TuscanS, Chimera, Cerbs, the lot, Caterham, Westfield, Elise, Merc AMG). I'll post some vid and pics soon.

My car held up well thanks and now needs a new set of rear pads.

Cheers,
Sean

PS. Need more usable power, fat wheels and huge brakes. :p

·
Registered
811 Posts
Full 4-wheel laser alignment check after fitting (Recommended!)

Blow Dog did you get full 4-wheel laser alignment checks re-done after getting your mines eibach springs fitted?

In my opinion it really is a must!

I've had many cars in the past and every time I have uprated or changed any suspension part I've always got the alignment reset. Its vital on 4-wheel drive cars too and helps reduce uneven tyre wear. It is quite amazing how much the angles can be out just by changing a single shock or a spring.

Trev

3,665 Posts
Eibach

Trevor,

on a full service,spring changes , shock changes etc we always
carry out a four wheel alignment.

Mark

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've been looking to replace the Vspec springs on my R33 GTR, and have been offered AVO springs. 25mm lower all round.

I'd rather have 25mm lower at the front, with only about 20mm back (if anything), and wondered if anyone has experience of these springs, or can recommend a spring suitable for UK roads (the vspec are too hard for the roads in Cheshire). What do you guys ride on?

Ta
Dave

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Nismo S tune suspension hey DCD. Sweet.

I've got TEIN springs on my R33 V-spec. Although I've never been in a V-spec I can't comment on the difference in ride quality. But the TEINS are seriously hard in my terms, especially town driving

But does anyone out there know by how much the TEIN's lower by??

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts