GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chaps.....might get myself some carbon with some of the decent deals that are on right now and thinking about the Mines rear spoiler. Only issue with this though is that it obviously does not have the centre support and will leave a hole in the bootlid. Anyone successfully used any small grommets in the hole rather than having to repaint and fill the bootlid. Don't really want to do that but also don't want a big crap looking grommet on show either.....suggestions?

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Have you thought about the knight racer high level wing? Still Oem looking but a bit different and can keep the middle stand and third break light? That's what I'm looking at.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was looking at it but can get the non-centre support version for half the price......if i could get something discreet that would not cause a leak would opt for that i think.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I had a similar issue with the APR spoiler. Jurgen came with a neat and cheap solution in just covering the hole with a 3M carbon patch :smokin:

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Isn't your car wrapped Matt black Steve? Just have the boot lid re wrapped??
Yeah but I was worried about the wrap over the hole going soft or getting punctured. I might give Paul a call and see what he thinks.

·
Banned
3,066 Posts
Aye. He'll know best. In my opinion, it's pretty strong stuff, and the hole in the middle isn't too large. Unless you actually find the hole and stick something sharp through it, you'd be fine. Tape up the hole from the inside as well, just to be on the safe side

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Hey Steve

The hole is about the size of a 2p coin if i recall correctly

Like yourself I first toyed with the idea of a grommet/plug then I called Paul about covering it with a wrap but a wrap wont cover it as you will still be able to see a recessed area

Eventually I had it filled and painted by Greg Howell (Circa £300) which is the best thing to do especially as you are keeping your car long term..

Perhaps buy a carbon bootlid?

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Yeah but I was worried about the wrap over the hole going soft or getting punctured. I might give Paul a call and see what he thinks.
either grommet or fill as just wrapping over it will at best sink into the hole over time and at worse split as it has nothing underneath

sods law dictates someone will put there finger in there lol

you could strip the boot wrap off then use one of the stickers that cover the screws either side underneath the spoiler to cover the hole then wrap over

you will see it slightly though

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Steve

The hole is about the size of a 2p coin if i recall correctly

Like yourself I first toyed with the idea of a grommet/plug then I called Paul about covering it with a wrap but a wrap wont cover it as you will still be able to see a recessed area

Eventually I had it filled and painted by Greg Howell (Circa £300) which is the best thing to do especially as you are keeping your car long term..

Perhaps buy a carbon bootlid?
Thanks Andrew.....was going to try and avoid filling it but might have to go down that route or perhaps just get one that's got the centre support. Will have a think about it. Trying to avoid spending too much right now as still buy bit for the bike i have not even got yet :)

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
either grommet or fill as just wrapping over it will at best sink into the hole over time and at worse split as it has nothing underneath

sods law dictates someone will put there finger in there lol

you could strip the boot wrap off then use one of the stickers that cover the screws either side underneath the spoiler to cover the hole then wrap over

you will see it slightly though
Thanks Paul...my OCD wont let me have it not looking 100% spot on so going to have a rethink. I could just see someone sticking a finger through it and me just having to cut it off for them:chuckle:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts