GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to think the Mine's VX ROM is a piece of C***

Can anyone lend any views to support or otherwise against how I am feeling please?

Q. Why wouldnt I go buy a Haltech???

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Run a search on the forum & you'll find info about the VX Rom, where NickM (he's in close contact with Mine's and was their official international reseller) explained that each VX Rom is setup for a specific car & therefore in order to have a proper map you'd need to send the car in order to get it done. Otherwise you could send the ECU to Mine's & the car specs & mods & they could map it that way.
Try to find the post in order to get more details on this.
HTH

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Mine's VX-ROM are superb, but usually custom map, or more likely in your case a 'retail unit' that can cope with a specific range of mods, but as soon as you go outside that, it all turns to sh*t. Also Mine's ECUs do not tend to be the 'casual' modder's choice. They are road/track warrior choices and as such are remarkably unsuited to driving in the UK.

Your best option is piggyback an F-Con on it. Then remap and enjoy.

Haltech is a perfectly valid choice, but unless you have serious tuning plans, overkill.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I am starting to think the Mine's VX ROM is a piece of C***

Can anyone lend any views to support or otherwise against how I am feeling please?

Q. Why wouldnt I go buy a Haltech???

You could start by researching the ECU and the suitability for your car. Maybe even ask some questions and offer constructive criticism.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nick, before you fiercely jump to the defense of Mine’s… I am dead happy with all the parts on the car.
I have tried researching the ECU by contacting *the respected Japanese car importer* who imported the car into the UK. I have twice asked them if they could speak to Mine's to see if my VXROM is on record and if there are any details as to what the car actually has done to it. My suspicions always were that the handling company in the UK that *the respected Japanese car importer*uses has done a poor job of UK prep and it might just be as simple as they a) couldn’t be bothered or b) incorrectly set the timing up for UK fuel.
Unfortunately my first request to the *the respected Japanese car importer* and official Mine’s dealer went unanswered and my second request got a "we don’t want to pester Mine's"
You were the last choice and when I searched for Kanzen there was no activity since 2008. I then gave up research and focused on something else.
Yes my car has lots of Mine’s bits on it… and yes there is blue engine builder paste all around the sump and oil pump. Can I tell what’s inside… NO… do the cams look standard… NO…
The facts are the car idles like crap, absolutely stinks, kicks out lots of black smoke on boost, “soots” around the exhaust in no time after cleaning and I seem to float between 100% and 80% power with the same boost…. Almost like an ECU safe mode triggering. If I take it to any tuner in the UK, the first thing I am sure they would do is put the part that they have no way of knowing what it does in the bin. No point having an ECU that no one knows how it’s been setup.
Totally open to any suggestions!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I wasn't leaping to their defense, but your first post wasn't exactly informative.... I thought you was just another idiot that had bought a VX-ROM on Ebay for 50quid and expected it to work with the mods you already had....

Anyway, to find out the spec of the VX-ROM you need to send Mine's the following information. A picture of the label also helps.

Make
Model
Year
Engine
Mine's Serial Number
ECU Serial Number

The information is fairly basic though, there won't be much detail other than the boost setting, timing etc. When I had Kanzen they didn't mind providing this information, but it doesn't make them any profit so it was bottom of the pile of things to do. If they were quiet I'd get a reply in a day or two, if they were busy it could take a couple of weeks. I don't know if they still do this, but I do know that 99.99% of Emails they get from abroad are from time wasters and they're tired of it. Unless they get everything they need they're reluctant to enter into any conversation. If you address the Email to Nagahama-san and say you know me he *might* reply...

The actual map should be fine though. They're quite conservative and although it's mapped on 100RON they've told me many times that it will also be fine on 98RON without adjustment. You could be right about some sort of safe mode though, but I honestly don't know.

Do you have any Mine's receipts with your paper work to show what has been done to the car? They will be able to check it and in theory remap it for you if. Problem with this is you would either need to buy a new ECU or send them your one. I would be inclined to buy a Motec/F-CON or something like that and have it it mapped in the UK. It would be a lot less hassle, and then you can have it remapped locally if you change anything on the car. No tuner will be able to modify the map as it's locked/encrypted.

If you don't get a reply from them send me a PM and I will try and help.

BTW Nagahama-san's English is very good.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I emailed the serial number and a photo to mines and they emailed me back with the mod list...

I didn't use the contact form on the site, but the contact email address

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
just looked at the mines-wave site.. it looks like they may have started charging for the ecu information.... the document was translated with google translate so thats why it doesn't make a huge amount of sense:

Q1)
Bought secondhand, VX-ROM I want to know the specification of what you see in the serial number?

A1)
Can be purchased at auction, and bon appétit specifications often inquire if you get your friends and drew. Sorry, Mine's the only serial number plate, the contact can not answer that specification. Found confirmation of the specification, which will be paid, please send us a check that is kind. Prices found, please contact us.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
having looked again heres what they say:

Q3)
I have a Mine's VX-ROM. And the plaque has a serial number on it.
Can you tell me its tuning contents through this number?

A3)
We can not tell you its tuning specs only by this serial number. If you give us its numbers and letters on either side of VX-ROM through e-mail with attached photos, we could give you some information such as its maximum boost pressure, Speed Limiter, vehicle year and etc ...
Ê If you are in Japan and send us your VX-ROM., We can check it, confirm its tuning specs, and send it back to your own expense.

so perhaps they do not charge....

I've tried to find the email but I can't.... it was a long while ago and an old email account..will keep looking

·
Registered
25,654 Posts
Nick, before you fiercely jump to the defense of Mine’s… I am dead happy with all the parts on the car.
I have tried researching the ECU by contacting *the respected Japanese car importer* who imported the car into the UK. I have twice asked them if they could speak to Mine's to see if my VXROM is on record and if there are any details as to what the car actually has done to it. My suspicions always were that the handling company in the UK that *the respected Japanese car importer*uses has done a poor job of UK prep and it might just be as simple as they a) couldn’t be bothered or b) incorrectly set the timing up for UK fuel.
Unfortunately my first request to the *the respected Japanese car importer* and official Mine’s dealer went unanswered and my second request got a "we don’t want to pester Mine's"
You were the last choice and when I searched for Kanzen there was no activity since 2008. I then gave up research and focused on something else.
Yes my car has lots of Mine’s bits on it… and yes there is blue engine builder paste all around the sump and oil pump. Can I tell what’s inside… NO… do the cams look standard… NO…
The facts are the car idles like crap, absolutely stinks, kicks out lots of black smoke on boost, “soots” around the exhaust in no time after cleaning and I seem to float between 100% and 80% power with the same boost…. Almost like an ECU safe mode triggering. If I take it to any tuner in the UK, the first thing I am sure they would do is put the part that they have no way of knowing what it does in the bin. No point having an ECU that no one knows how it’s been setup.
Totally open to any suggestions!

ok lets break this down a little

yes we imported your car, yes there are ALOT of R32s (mostly) fitted with the ECU's that MINES produce - mine had the ecu which yours has.

they are actually really good, and set up very very well. (on Jap fuel etc), however each ECU is tailored towards the car, and the exact spec, so really they shouldnt be interchanged between two different cars - ive found in the past they do mostly overfuel

However

the reason is why i dont want to pester mines is, (in our experience) they dont like looking up the serial numbers (due to have LARGE amounts or requests for exactly the same information) when the customer does not pay for the information or indeed you are not the original owner.

Being outside the japan for you causes its own problems as if you were to roll up at MINES in your R32 im sure they would be more than willing to check your ECU. They dont really concentrate outside japan.

now i could contact the chap at MINES who we deal with direct (no its not the email address on their website) but i believe they will charge a fee for that information

reason your first request went unanswered was that i was on holiday,

·
Registered
715 Posts
Most decent mapper's in the UK will be able to read the ecu and give you a pretty good idea if it is the mapped to the car it is currently fitted to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts