GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Took the GTR for a spin tonight, after spending all day rebuilding the front Driveshafts and Brake Calipers.

After approximately 8 miles I noticed a misfire, the kind that makes the car sound like a Scooby. The misfire then cleared, and came back again a few times during my 20 mile run. It seems to happen just after I give the car some beans, but no more than 5000rpm. Also, it idles fine???

I'm thinking AFM, Temperature Sensor, Fuel filter,Fuel Pump..........anyone got any better ideas, from previous experience??

I NEED to go to JAE next weekend, and only have tomorrow, (Sunday) to sort this. I have all the parts I could possibly need, so please, any advice would be very greatly appreciated

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. The thing that puzzles me is the fact that it only does it after it's been booted??

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have NGK '8' plugs in the car, I'm gonna go and fit the 5's I have from my old car, just to see if that makes a difference. Is a tracking coil visible when removed??

I could just go out and replace everything, but i want to "find" the problem.

Regards

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Hi NigelR32, strangely, I'm having the same kind of problem mate. Its pretty intermittent but seems to rear its head more after a 'blast'. I'm taking mine to Abbey on thursday so they can work their magic on it. I know that you need it fixed ASAP but i'll let you know how I get on just in case your having a 'mare finding the problem.

TT

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I thought I'd have a look this morning. I changed the Coil loom, and then went on the same journey as yesterday, driving at about the same speeds.

I then did another quick blast on the Motorway, and fingers crossed, the problem seems to have gone away!!:) :) :)

I think I'll give her another go this afternoon, just to confirm..........watch this space..........................

Regards and thanks for the tips guys.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
matty32 said:
one of the coils on my 32 was split and visible, i would say that is your problem
I checked the Coils, and they look newish,(Shiny black paint and very good condition/clean rubbers). They certainly look much better than the spare set I've got........

Regards

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
whoflungdung said:
this problem is usually the ignition module breaking down

as i had the same thing :mad:

Do you mean the Amp, the finned Ali block on the Cam Covers?

Regards

·
Registered
25,646 Posts
yep he does

swap over the coils and see if it makes a difference mine were nice and shiny but had a small split in one of them

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I've joined the league of mis-fires. Misses initially when first pulling away when cold ... but now also misses at any point in the rev range. Can drive through it ... but it splutters now and then.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the secret here is to get yourself some spare ignition components sat on the shelf. I can assure you, it makes life a lot easier when you can run through a process of elimination.....like just now, noticed oil under the transfer box, I just knew it was gonna be the rubber boot around the gearstick, and hey.............I had a new one in my spares box:clap: :clap:

Regards

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
NigelR32 said:
I think the secret here is to get yourself some spare ignition components sat on the shelf. I can assure you, it makes life a lot easier when you can run through a process of elimination.....like just now, noticed oil under the transfer box, I just knew it was gonna be the rubber boot around the gearstick, and hey.............I had a new one in my spares box:clap: :clap:

Regards
well I dont know what this has to do with this thread but.....well done :rolleyes:

yes we would all like spare parts knocking about, or just lying around

but like most on here, if you did that then you would need around £5k's worth of bits just lying around, and thats being modest at 5k

and I am not Rockafella :shy: :shy: :shy: :nervous: :thumbsup:

or you could just get a good autospark to diagnoise the problem, around £40 p/hr

a bit less than having a stores department :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

but this has all the signs of being the ignition amp

Oh Poo! its your post, shame on me & you :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
whoflungdung said:
Oh Poo! its your post, shame on me & you :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
No worries!!

I am fortunate enough to have recently broken an R32 GTR, so have all the bits left that didn't sell.

I've now changed the Coil loom, and the problem has still not come back, after two runs. JAE here we come:) :)

As this is my thread, i'll go off subject a little now and ask a question.......What are the symptoms if an AFM plays up???

Regards

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, now theres a whole new angle on this little mystery. I had the problem yesterday.................after I'd disconnected the Battery to bleed the brakes (as the Manual states). Tonight I have disconnected the battery to do a Coolant change (I wanted to remove the coolant reservoir), and low and behold I had a Misfire, on No1 cylinder. I swapped the Coil, Plug and ignition amp, and it made no difference.

So, I took the car for a little run, and the Misfire disappeared???????????

Could disconnecting the battery be something to do with this problem?????

Regards

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Interesting!!

Now dont brake it and make damn sure you're at JAE :runaway:

:D

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
News update.............

I fitted the Grounding kit from my old R32 GTR tonight, then took the car for a very low speed spin of about 8 miles. What a difference!!!!!!

I thoroughly recommend any one who has a misfire problem to try this. You could try any old bit of heavyish cable between engine-bodywork-battery negative-engine, and see what happens. It has certainly worked for me.:) :)

Regards

1 - 20 of 23 Posts