GTR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a slight problem with my GTST and I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I went to move it a couple of weeks ago, started fine, then after about 10 seconds started to misfire, I've been running it really low on fuel as it's been off the road for a year so couldn't go and fill it up. I put a gallon of fuel in, started it and it was fine.
Then a few days later I took it out for a road test and after a mile or so it started misfiring, then cleared.
I took it to Abbey Motorsport a couple of weeks ago, it was fine on the motorway, but everytime we slowed down it would misfire, then when we were driving through Bristol it would mis at every set of traffic lights and when we were driving very slow.

I checked the plugs and changed them as they seemed bunrt and teh gap was about 40thou. I left it ticking over for a while and it seemed fine.

Just bought it home tonight and it was fine for about 6 miles, filled up with fuel, the it started missing as I came off a roundabout, then for about a mile till I was on the motorway, was fine on the motorway then as soon as I came up the sliproad and stopped it started missing again.

Dan at Abbey suggested it may be spark plugs, coilpacks or the ignitor module, I've put a different set of plugs in, (though they weren't new), and it's behaving exactly the same, so I don't think it's them.

I'm gonna try swapping the coilpacks for the GTR ones tomorrow, might also change the fuel filter incase that got blocked.

Any more suggestions?

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give as many facts as possible. :)

Thanks
Alex B

·
Registered
366 Posts
dude, this sounds like every other missfire post...

Buy new:
PLUGS
COILS
IGNITOR
problem fixed. It doesnt act up when driving along cause the air flow is barely enough to cool the pieces down to almost work, when you stop to idle or wait at lights all the heat builds up again.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well Dan said Ignitotrs normally break down under heavy load, so my symptoms point away from this as do spark plugs etc, normally misfires occur under load, (acceleration), this is the opposite.

And I don't really fancy buying new plugs, £60, new coils, £300+, new ignitor, no idea how much they are, when someone has had exactly the same symptoms and it turned out to be a blocked fuel filter, at around £10. See where I'm going?

Alex B

3,666 Posts
Alex,

just use the stuff from your 32.

I could be a dodgy injector thou, as it only mucks about under light load. Once the injector pluse lengthens and/or the fuel pressure climbs a little it goes as it is working the injector harder .

send them up we can clean them for you.

Mark

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alex,

just use the stuff from your 32.

I could be a dodgy injector thou, as it only mucks about under light load. Once the injector pluse lengthens and/or the fuel pressure climbs a little it goes as it is working the injector harder .

send them up we can clean them for you.

Mark
Thanks Mark I'll be trying a few things tomorrow, I'm finally booked into a drift practice day on monday, (after 14 months:( ), so could really do with sorting it asap!

Could it be a blocked fuel filter, (Yeah I know I'm hoping for the cheapest, easiest cure! :rolleyes: ), would it have similar symptoms to a blocked injector?

I'll try the fuel filter first, then the ignitor pack then if its still there I'll try the GTR coilpacks and let you know how I get on.

Thanks
Alex B

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I changed teh fuel filter and chucked some injector cleaner in the fuel sunday, took it out for a test, exactly the same problem, so got a set of splitfire coilpacks off a mate to take monday incase the injector cleaner didn't work.

Drove from weston to silverstone and only had one slight misfire that lasted about 10 seconds and was nowhere near as aggressive as it was.

Had a drive round the drift course so we knew the layout, joined the queue to go out and it started missing. We quickly fired the new coilpacks on and it has been fine since, (some of the contacts on the coilpacks looked a little worn).
When I emptied the car this morning I looked at the fuel filter and it had a load of what looked like crushed leaves, (I'm sure they weren't, but thats the best way I can describe them, brown, mushed up stuff).

So, I'm not 100% sure whether it was the fact that enough of the fuel, (and therefore injector cleaner), had gone through the injectors, of the coilpacks were breaking down. Though having said that, I think the new coilpacks have smoothed out the revving/pickup.

Alex B

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
also try the air flow meter, spray with brake cleaner on the element and remove the top and resolder where the electrical conector is soldered to the circuit inside re-seal the top and bobs ur uncle one working afm
did it to mine had no bother since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts