only got 15/50 in the boot

can he mix the oils?

please ASAP

ta

mook

·
Registered
98 Posts
if hes not going far then i would do it and just not kill it thats all, ive done it in my wifes calibra and thats still alive!

·
Registered
160 Posts
There will be no problem... all oils mix.

Cheers

Guy.
I got a question on a common thing heard there & there: is it true that it always becomes the worst of the 2? Ok let me put it another way: you mix a 10W60 together with a 5W40 and the mix becomes a 10W40. True or urban legend?

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
While we are on the subject...

Is there any problem mixing Synthetic Semi-Synthetic and Mineral oils ?

Not that you would really want to.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Mixing oils

Oilman, a quick question for you. At the weekend we were on a bike run to the west coast of Scotland and one of the guys oil lights came on (R1) indicating low oil level. We could not get m/cycle oil anywhere and he decided to do a 70 mile detour to go to a bike shop in Inverness to get the correct m/cycle oil. I have read somewhere that m/cycle oils have longer chain ester molecules compared to car oils to help resist shearing due to being the gearbox lubricant as well (what about the old minis? :eek: ) Would a good car oil, semi or fully, have sufficed to finish the run, then change it when he got home, or was he right going to get the correct oil.

Basically what I am asking is, can you (in an emergency) safely use car oil in a bike engine, or must you use bike specific oil, is this another urban myth? :confused:

Sorry for the thread hijack :)

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
You may experience clutch slip with car oils as they do not always contain the correct friction modifiers.

It's pot luck really but it will not damage the engine.

Regards
Simon

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
We had no probs running car oil in my dads 1994 triumph 900 trophy... or a 600 diversion, And when I worked on bikes most of them got ordinary car oil, the sports bikes needed better stuff IIRC. (going back 13 years though)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts