GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if anyone's tried this before but off to the ring soon and gp circuit but my cars currently fitted with mpss which to me seem pretty useless on track if pushed hard (mainly being the front rubber)

Now I bought another set of wheels for track but ended up with 3 fronts and one rear I've fitted oe dunlops to these
So what I'm thinking of doing is running dunlops on the front and mpss on the rear. I don't have a problem with the rear mpss just the front as I think the walls are too soft if you push hard with it and they go off quick leading to even more understeer

Has anyone actually tried this before?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Will that not lead to a very tail happy car in the dry & an understeer-fest in the wet though? If the car's rear is too loose, wearing MPSS, they may well overheat too quickly and then the car will be awful. It may also make it particularly twitchy under braking ... Also, I'm not sure the 'ring is the best place to be experimenting with mixing tyres ...

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Very bad idea.

Both these tyres are designed different.mpss are crap for directional changes and make the car feel unstable when pushing hard where the dunlops are very firm and give good feed back (what they where designed for).

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes I appreciate its not the done thing but the rear mpss do not actually overheat unless you incite a drift, but the fronts do with the understeer issues which is what made me think that by having a thicker walled tyre on the front may actually help with understeer rather than induce it.

yes the ring is not a good place to experiment I have to say but I was thinking of trying them on a private road I know of and throwing the car about just to see what the handling will be like, which is why I wondered if anyone had actually tried this before or whether its just a no no in terms of theory?

if no one has actually tried it il give it a go and hopefully wont be posting up with pics of a bent car lol

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
yes I appreciate its not the done thing but the rear mpss do not actually overheat unless you incite a drift ...
But you'll be changing the natural balance of the car by mixing the tyres and it may become quite unstable and act in an unexpected fashion ... Your choice though of course ;)

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Oh C'mon you all know that there is only ONE proper tyre for the GTR and they should be the same all round !!!!

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
There was one gtr owner at spa recently who had bridgestones up front and dunlops on the rear.. Seem to be having lots of fun on track :) not a good idea mixing rf and non-rf. Take it you've not been able to source a correct rim from any of the traders?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no still cant get a rim despite trying
one breakers wanted £450 for one s/h rim which I think is a ridiculous price to pay

I do appreciate and know that its a big no no mixing tyres but it seems that no one has actually dared to try it and you cant blame people for not doing so and there is no need if you have a full set of spare wheels lol
but im intrigued now to see whether its a no no because people have heard it is or whether it makes the car actually better balanced by running the runflats on the front and mpss on rear which may to my way of reckoning possibly help with understeer issues

only one way to find out I guess...........dumbass guinea pig needed lol

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry guys but just had to try this as I can't see why it won't work

Just fitted the Dunlop fronts today and nailed her round a few roundabouts first off then onto some country back roads and so far it's spot on dare I say it lol

So I'm gonna take a gamble and heading off to the ring tomorrow morning for the nismo event, then off to the gp curcuit I hope I'm not made to eat my words and the car comes back in one piece

But first impressions are very good, with the Dunlop rears the car skips and jumps over bumps making the rear very skittish but with just the front dunlops it certainly stiffens up the front and makes the ride harder and steering feels lighter too but the rear of the car still feels stable and planted

Only time will tell after the trip and true test will be on track but if this works out then I'm sticking to this combo of tyres as wrong as it may seem to everyone.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
not ridiculous at all

Just come back from the ring and gp curcuit and tried this and has definitely aided a huge amount with understeer so il be sticking to this combo from now on.
the car also turns in better than with the mpss up front, rear stability is also much better by using the non run flats on the rear

Il post a vid up soon as I get time in the nismo event thread
Didn't push it that hard on the ring as I don't know it that well but did on the gp curcuit and the car was miles better than my last visit there

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Although a different car i've had exactly the same dilemma on my F10 M5 (should be a slightly different outcome as not AWD).

Spanked her round Nordschleife for a couple of TF laps & then 2 days at Spa & battered the front tyres (MPSS). They however performed epically, however as they got so hot & grippy, they lost all tread from both shoulders very quickly.

To this end i spotted than i could get Pilot Cup Sports in the correct size for my front wheels so was considering for Spa next year having Cups up front & MPSS at the rear.

No idea if this will/won't work, but i can't on paper see any danger but am curious to see how you get on??

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tbh I would have thought with the beemer it would have been lighter on the front tyres seeing as it's rwd unless your going in to quick and turning under braking.
My Tvr cerbera (I know it's completely different but still rwd) that chews the rears up as your basically driving the rear wheels and controlling oversteer
But I've never owned a BMW so not sure how they handle on track

I do know though that if you think how a car works with weight transfer and so forth you can work out what's happening and adjust by trying different things out.
Despite what I was told I'm a firm believer in trying things out for myself as what works and doesn't work for someone else may well work for you as we all have different driving styles
So in short try it fella

I'm pleased I did and il be sticking to that setup now
Only thing I haven't tried it in yet is the wet on a twisty track, now that could be a whole different ballgame and the handling then may not be so good

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Tbh I would have thought with the beemer it would have been lighter on the front tyres seeing as it's rwd unless your going in to quick and turning under braking.
My Tvr cerbera (I know it's completely different but still rwd) that chews the rears up as your basically driving the rear wheels and controlling oversteer
But I've never owned a BMW so not sure how they handle on track

I do know though that if you think how a car works with weight transfer and so forth you can work out what's happening and adjust by trying different things out.
Despite what I was told I'm a firm believer in trying things out for myself as what works and doesn't work for someone else may well work for you as we all have different driving styles
So in short try it fella

I'm pleased I did and il be sticking to that setup now
Only thing I haven't tried it in yet is the wet on a twisty track, now that could be a whole different ballgame and the handling then may not be so good
That would have been the case had i been stupid enough to totally disengage the T/C. I've no desire to get black flagged off a track for drifting or even worse binning the car. I'll leave that kind of stuff to the kids.

Even in M Dynamic mode with is T/C at 40% the back was very lively so i went no further than that & as a result the fronts took a hammering.

Spa is very fast so the corner speeds are higher than many UK circuits & as such due to the tyres being very hot & very sticky, they degraded quicker than i'd have expected. They did last the course but i had to back off here & there & as such didn't dare to try for sub 3 mins. Next year though.

Let me know how the mix works as am sorely tempted to try cups up front next year at Spa.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Give it a try fella
I don't know how it will work on there, I can only speak from what I've found with the gtr and my problem with it on track so I'm happy with the handling now with run flats up front

And your not the only one to make an error switching traction off completely as I did the same thing earlier this week thinking I was in ltc when Infact there was none lol
A few scary moments for sure but no harm done

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I think you logic is sound. I am thinking of doing the same. I had MPSS on the M5 and thought they were great, with little or no tramlining.

No tramlining, more comfort, better turn in and less road noise. cant see the down side.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok little update on this for those that was thinking of trying it as I said I would give you an honest verdict on my findings.

Ok cars still intact and my arms and legs are still attached to my torso so all is not bad lol.

As said in previous post definitely noticed a marked improvement with understeer issues in the dry which I was very happy about but.....................did a track day at snetterton last Monday and it was absolutely chucking it down and was a lot of standing water on the track.

Now here's the truth..............DO NOT try this combo of tyres in the wet as the handling is absolutely atrocious to the point of being damned right dangerous. Straight line braking ability is massively reduced as well as being able to turn the car in at any kind of speed, she will just drift out on the front end even on a slight lock.
Ben was on this day too in his car and was running mpss all round, I went out in his car and the handling of the 2 cars was chalk and cheese no comparison at all.

Funny thing is that one of the lads from my pulsar gtir forum turned up in his 420hp car and he was running Toyota 888s in the wet which aren't the best by any means. Anyway he had to retire in the afternoon as he threw an engine rocker but prior to that he handed our asses to us on a plate so the pair of us were wiped out by a 25 year old pocket rocket on cut slicks in the wet lol
Got to love the pulsars, one of the most under estimated cars of all time

Anyway that concludes my verdict on my loony tyre choice so il stick with them if I know it's going to be dry but under no circumstances ever try them in the wet

·
R35 Section manager
11,261 Posts
Toyos are one of the best tyres around for use in the wet! I used to run them on my Subaru's and 33 Gt-R

1 - 20 of 21 Posts