GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i took my car to get a replacement cambelt and mot today,only to find out i have to have the engine removed as i have excessive end float on my crank,luckily its been caught in time before my engine gets turned into a pile of metal,but i could have done without it thats for sure,i suppose with all this performance you have to pay.

moan over
simon

·
Registered
262 Posts
Gutted for you Simon. Whos doing the work, Someone local or a big tuner? Is it just a case of a new set of bottom end bearings or does the crank need a grind and oversized bearings?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hopefully the crank is okay i think its the thrust bearing
(can't remember what he said) but will change all the bearings while they are doing it,i was pretty gutted especially as i haven't budgeted for this,and my work is pretty quiet at the moment,but at least its been caught early,bells auto's are doing the work I've been going to them for years,

simon

·
Registered
262 Posts
mmmmm yeah hope its not scuffed up the crank. Hopefully it'll just be a case of changing them and that'll be that for you. Why are there bearings worn? Lack of oil flow? what?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im not sure but i will know in a few days,the engine is still running okay,its just theres too much end float on the crank,so i was advised to repair it before a major problem occurred.

simon

·
R35 Section manager
10,644 Posts
Mate, these cars can be a nightmare when it comes to money.

My 33 was good as gold for 7 years out of the 9 years I had it with little or no money other than service costs/tyres/tuning being spent on it but the last 1-1.5 years got expensive with repair bills.

The most annoying thing is they always go wrong when money is tight, not when you have some play money spare!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah your dead right treg,i just get fed up as i don't use the car a lot,its more of a garage queen which in itself has caused problems,not being used enough,i could have bought an r35 for the money I've spent on it.

simon

·
Registered
567 Posts
What clutch have you got in there?, I always wince when people fit single plates with high clamp rate pressure plates, all that force basically pushing the crank sideways..

Other thing is cars that require clutch pedal depressed to allow them to start, all that side loading on the nearly dry thrust bearings..

·
R35 Section manager
10,644 Posts
yeah your dead right treg,i just get fed up as i don't use the car a lot,its more of a garage queen which in itself has caused problems,not being used enough,i could have bought an r35 for the money I've spent on it.

simon

Funny enough when I was using my car daily it ran perfectly but the last 1.5 years I did stop using it daily due to fuel costs and that's when things went wrong lol.

I can recall being at my wits ends when a £5k repair bill came in when number 6 cylinder went, but found a interest free credit card on purchases over 16 months which helped. It became a interest free loan providing I could clear the full payment in 16 months and make the minimum payment each month:)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im not sure what clutch i have in there,but i do know it has a higher clamping rate than normal,I'm wondering if after what you've just stated,this has been a contributing factor,

simon

·
R35 Section manager
10,644 Posts
im not sure what clutch i have in there,but i do know it has a higher clamping rate than normal,I'm wondering if after what you've just stated,this has been a contributing factor,

simon

Sounds like an uprated standard clutch mate-mine was good for 528bhp at the fly

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i hope i don't have to do any more than change all the bearings,worst case put a new crank in it,as i said before the engine was still running okay.but i think i may put a different clutch pressure plate in it,the trouble is i don't like the all or nothing clutches,i need it driveable,my car is running 482ft lb of torque 600bhp what clutch or set up would you guys recommend,bearing in mind i want it to feel as close to em as possible,also i don't drag or boy race my car,i do give it spirited drives where applicable.

simon

·
Registered
567 Posts
If you think about it, the more pressure you force the crank over the more chance you have of wrecking the thrust bearings.

For me a twin plate clutch with stock clamp load is a better option..

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Simon I feel your frustration. Not good news to receive, really does get depressing.

My engine started to knock after a mapping session; it had only covered running in miles, led me to break the car as I couldn't justify putting anymore money in.

If it's any help/option I have a spare well specced new tall engine, fully forged with ported and polished head.

·
R35 Section manager
10,644 Posts
well i hope i don't have to do any more than change all the bearings,worst case put a new crank in it,as i said before the engine was still running okay.but i think i may put a different clutch pressure plate in it,the trouble is i don't like the all or nothing clutches,i need it driveable,my car is running 482ft lb of torque 600bhp what clutch or set up would you guys recommend,bearing in mind i want it to feel as close to em as possible,also i don't drag or boy race my car,i do give it spirited drives where applicable.

simon

It's been 3 years since my 33 but I would go for a copper mix clutch.
Easy to use and will handle the power

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
i don't need a new engine,i will just get new bearings,and hopefully that should be it,but it may need a new crank,which would really piss me off seeing as the one that was in there was new when i had the engine rebuilt,i do need to point out,this engine has been running for nearly five years,albeit with minimal use and running very well,up until this point,tabz i no what you mean about these cars they do cost, and can cause a lot of mental anguish ,but you have to remember your running power that is in supercar territory,

simon

1 - 20 of 22 Posts