GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else recommend this??

I've been using Esso Ultron 5W 40.

But I wnt to use Mobil 1. I've heard that the 0W 40 is just too thin.

So M/sport is 15W 40, so I thought that should be OK.

Can anyone confrim this.

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Some Japanese turbos do not like low weight oil in the 'Summer', fine in the Winter but in temps we have occasionally during our 'Summer' you can get trouble.

I now run a 15/50 semi. during the 'Summer' months, this is better in my books, as the Winter returns (next week I believe) I shall return to the fully synth. 5/50, I have never 'used' oil but some people running Ceramic types have and this does lessen and sometimes cure the problem.

This could be an interesting subject, I would be very interested in other peoples experinces and preferences, not just a list but some detail.

We could also dispel some myths, I'll start you off with a beaut, did you know that the surface of the all the bearings and their shells actually absorb some of the oil. that one always raises eyebrows, OK, How? Over to you Bamber, your starter for 10.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Please please don't use this oil it's pants, ive got an R1 bike and it drank it like ! now i use silkolene and no probs.Also i had a cossie which done tha same.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So does that mean I should stick to my Esso Ultron 5W40???

What oil 15/50 or 5/50 are you using mycroft??

How come Mobil 1 is consumed then???

I really want to use a good quality oil. Unless the Esso is recommended. According to me its the blood (lifeline) of the engine.

Quite a few ppl use Motul. I can't seem to find that anywhere

·
Registered
694 Posts
Motul

Gary at GT-Art is the man who supplies Motul to most of us, I am unsure if you can get it anywhere else over here or not ?

Anyway, I have just picked up my 33 GTS from GT-Art after having the oil changed to Motul and the car feels better already, Oil pressure seems slightly better and maintains at around the 4 mark when driving, and around the 2 mark at idle. Motul oil isn't cheap but as far as I am concerned only the best goes into my Skyline.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Shaun.

:D

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I think it does not really matter a huge amount

between the oils you have mentioned as long as you change the oil regularly. I would say 15/50 is probably fine as I am sure that is what abbey and rod bell use...Agip or havoline I think.
I am looking to change the oil every 3000 so should be ok.
the basics of oil will be that the molecules are gradually smashed against each other and the compound deteriorates. So the longer you leave it then the worse the oil basic compound becomes. Also running more boost, fuel and pressure increases the effect and hence more changes needed.
just my 2c worth and I would say you are fine with what you have.
NLW (can't get to work!!)

S

·
0 Posts
I swear by Redline 10/30, but as I like to change the oil more than my socks I could probably get away with chucking a lump of 100% Lard in there.

Seriously - Redline Oil is the quackers knackers:)

Their MT-90 is good for transmissions too.

My €0.02

·
Registered
122 Posts
I use Millers 10/60W which would be good all year round.

The exact one is Synthetic CRX 10/60.

Leigh.

PS also comes as 5 litres for about £28.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts