GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was chatting this morning with a work colleague and we got on to the subject of how we never see the 300 ZX any more.

Now in there day they were the nuts of a car and I would of thought the tuning options would be similar to those of the Skyline.

So where are they now? Are they difficult to tune/mod or is there a gang of Nissan 300 ZX performance chaps that have a chat site like this and im completely wrong?

Just an inquiry thats all.

...Ian and work mate.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ian

A mate of mine here a work has a red one originally from ireland, it looks georgous when polished.....:)
I keep warning him that i am gonna nick the air flow meters for mine!!!!;)

Cheers
Stu

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
300ZX's

Ian

When I was in Japan last month (not name dropping so leave it :D ) saw some LOVELY 300's on the way to/at Mt. Fuji. I've always sort of liked 'em but the ones we saw were SUPERB.

Have seen a couple of nice ones up North Weald doing the drag racing but they never seem to deliver. Well the ones their didn't.

Wonder why we never get any at any of our meets. I mean the Ford boys have numerous models who all meet at the same time.

I know we are Skyline based but perhaps a big Nissan/Datsun meet would be an idea for the future. All welcome. Now that would be nice wouldn't it :smokin: .

glen

·
Registered
312 Posts
Nissans

Hi Glen,

A mate of mine who owns an R33 GTS is the regional co-ordinator for the Nissan Turbo Owners club, if you want i could mention this suggestion to him next time we have a pint!!!!;)

Stu

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Meet

Hi Stu

Yeah that'd be good. Mention it to him and see how you get on and we'll go from their. Nice one.

glen

·
Registered
506 Posts
Loads of them!

Ian,

There are loads of 300's around here. I've seen some very nice examples in Milton Keynes, driven past quite a few on the M6 and seen around 6 in just Lancaster alone (not alot by normal standards, but wads when compared to Skylines:D ).

Just my tuppence:)

Best wishes mate,

Stu

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
I have always heard that the Z's engine block can't really take high bhp figures as the over-engineered RB. Mind you, you do see some mean examples over here. I have no idea what power figures these cars can put out though...anyone:confused:

·
Banned
349 Posts
I had one for a couple of years.

They are great cars and handle really well but not as fast as a Skyline.

I left mine standard but have been in some cars reportly pushing out 450 brake. The engine are good in the torque area but don't like big BHP. They Det no.6 often and the fueling is apparantly hard to get right.

JM

·
Premium Member
5,040 Posts
...exactly!

which is why I fear for the future tuneability of the R35 GT-R if it ends up using a derivative of that engine.
Alan Davies, who used to run the 300zx tt register at about the same time as this club was established, spent loads getting his 300 to about 450bhp, but it made Godzilla look reliable in comparison!
When Joss and I did our first Performance Car appearance, there were a couple of nitroused, Maxed 300s and they didn't make one run between them! :rolleyes:

·
Banned
349 Posts
Dave,

It was Alans car I went in at Alton Park before he went crazy and bought a Cerby (men in white coats needed:D )

He mentioned that he'd re-built it umpteen times!!

V6= Det 6 in my book!!

I've got the same reservations about the 35 as the V is not well balanced at high revs, plus when the RB26 was designed Nissan where cash rich hence the over engineering but now they are run by accountants I'm not so sure if the new engine will be as good.

What they should do is follow BMW's way and increase the capacity of the RB26 to 3.2 litres and put on some decent turbo's that will take 1.5 bar:) Then we'd be in business!!!

David, I sense you'll be in a 34 soon!! PM me and I'll tell you about one in Bayside with 12,000 miles which may be avaliable.

Jamie.

·
Registered
404 Posts
US spec 300 ZX

I work with a guy that used to have a Callaway (famous for the outstanding C12) tuned 300 ZX, he told me that the best that they could reliably get out of his car was 400bhp although some where running up to 465bhp.

There seems to be all kinds of problems getting any more out of the engine after that, however the performance was not lacking for that with 0-60mph in 4.6 seconds and around 170mph top speed and a standing ¼ in 12.9 seconds.

Should point out though that these American spec cars where front engine rear drive with only 2 seats quite different to the Euro/Japanese cars.

Paul.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Z32

SE Nissan (Silvia Engineering) used to look after a pearlescent white one, with Blitz Technospeeeds and a purported 600bhp (I seem to remember it was badged "600ZX").

·
Registered
3,467 Posts

Phillip

Yeah I think thats one of the ones I saw up North Weald :( . Lovely looking car but sounded like it had probs on full chat.

glen

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
600 ZX

Yeah,I saw that one when I went down to Silvia once for a chat and a quote to tune up my car!
What an AWESOME lookig car that was.The rims the bodykit and that engine bay.....WOW.I heard he had spent a fortune on it, but well worth it!

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Saw a really nice example at Fisco last month....here is a pic. Not sure what bhp it was pushig out.

David....back to the next GTR argument....it seems that there is a very high chance they will use the VH8 twin turbo as they really want to use a different engine from the 350Z.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
There is a person who lives near me who owns a Silver 300ZX. (His kid goes the same school as me). It looks truly amazing. I don't know what type of bodykit it has on but it looks stunning. I think its a veilside kit. Well it looks like this anyway but in silver:
http://www.zcentre.co.uk/Images/bodykits/bodykit4/bk4_1_lge.jpg
The only difference is the spoiler on the back. On the silver one (near me) it is a LOT Bigger!

http://www.zcentre.co.uk/Images/bodykits/bodykit4/bk4_4_lge.jpg

Regards
-Elliot

·
Registered
832 Posts
Re: Z32

Philip said:
SE Nissan (Silvia Engineering) used to look after a pearlescent white one, with Blitz Technospeeeds and a purported 600bhp (I seem to remember it was badged "600ZX").
That's Andy's motor and it's lovely. It's running over 700hp now but as Glen's noticed, it's having problems putting down the power. The sound it's making isn't a problem with the car at all, it's the traction control cutting in pretty much constantly, to keep the rear end in line. It sounds like it's constantly mis-firing.

The 300ZX site is at www.300zx.co.uk and they have a BB just like this.

FYI, The very soon to be formed "UK 200sx Owners Club" or SXOC as it's known can be found at www.200sxoc.com and it too has a BB.

Dan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts