GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering modding my R34 GTR. My target is 400hp cuz the car is mainly for street and daily driven. Do you guys have any suggestion of what I should do. power is one thing, but I also consider reliability. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Thats the power mine kicks out at the moment. You will need full exhaust system, induction kit, ECU, boost controller and iridium plugs. Lots of choice out there, but I personally went for a full Mine's stainless exhaust, Mine's ECU, HKS filters and HKS EVC boost controller. Very very happy with it and recommend any of the parts.

:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DCD

I have a quiet day today. So, I have time to work on my modding list now. Here is my list. Tell me what you think.
Nismo exhaust, downpipe.
HKS intake pipe with filter.
HKS EVC Boost controller.
HKS F ConS to tune the ECU.
Nismo Intercooler.
I was also suggested to get the twin plate clutch which I hate most and changing the turbo to HKS GT2540.

This is my first time to mod on a turbo car. So, any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Sounds like a good list even though I would personally go for the Apexi Power FC ECU as its mappable through the hand controller. The Fcon is a very good ECU and allows you to run MAP sensors. If you have a shop that knows how to map it(experience & software) then go ahead as its a great ECU.

You don't need to change turbines as the mods you have listed will allow you to run more boost on the stock ceramic items to get 400ps

HKS GT2540s can flow enough for 600+ps so you will need a never-ending list of expensive mods to go along with them. If you are looking for a good turbo kit for street use you can't go wrong with the GT2530s. If you like more power HKS has released a new generation turbine called GT-RS. This can flow 400ps each and have much less lag than its size suggests.

As for the clutch. I'm still using the standard one and its still holding up.
If you don't like to use a twin plate clutch there is always the Nismo upgrade kit for the stock one that is not as snappy or jerky as the multi plate ones.
If you have to go for a multi plate one then I suggest OS Giken twin.

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
400bhp

My advice for what it's worth, since my R34 has been through the 300bhp, 400bhp, 550bhp and 670bhp stages and is now being built for a bit more.

1. Nismo exhaust, downpipe.

Nismo exhaust is good, but pricey and has a restrictive bend near the rear-tail pipe, HKS or Trust are more commonly used.

2. HKS intake pipe with filter.

At 400bhp there is little need to change intake system, if you use a good panel filter eg Nismo/Mines (Mines cars use stock airbox to 600bhp). The HKS foam filters have been proven to have poor filtering, better to use Trust or Apexi if you want pod filters.

3. HKS EVC Boost controller.

These are great and the most commonly used in the UK.

4. HKS F ConS to tune the ECU.

Probably not necessary for 400bhp. Any programmable ecu gives better control than a chip but most 400bhp cars in UK use stock chip. FConS not in use yet in UK, so most people use Apexi PowerFC.

5. Nismo Intercooler.

Upgraded intercooler will help, especially if in hot temperatures. Most make intercoolers are similar size and spec, so no difference at that level of power. Buy the best you can, so it last for future upgrades.

6 I was also suggested to get the twin plate clutch

Stock clutch will be ok at 400bhp provided it is not drag-raced. Get and OS Giken or Nismo, not HKS, since HKS clutches are really hard to drive in most cars.

7.changing the turbo to HKS GT2540.

2540 is a bad turbo due to a poor exhaust/compressor mismatch, much better to get 2510 or 2530. If after only 400bhp at crank then run stock trubos at slightly higher boost (1.1 or 1.2bar)

We had R34 cars run 420bhp at crank (about 300 at wheels) using 1.2bar on stock turbos, stock chip, with mods being exhaust, air filter and intercooler.

Welcome to upgrade addiction.....!

Guy

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Good points

Hi Initial E

I ran 421 bhp in my 34 (as did Joss,) with HKS I/C, HKS Hard Pipe Kit, Standard ECU, AFR's, Trust D/Pipe, NISMO Exhaust (already fitted to the car when new), HKS Filters(like Guy said didn't really need 'em though) and the car ran superbly at 1.2 bar with no boost controller.

Only problem is, WILL YOU BE HAPPY WITH THIS. Tricky one this as when you've had your mods for 3-6 months you may be looking for more. If so you perhaps need to change your initial wish list to include other parts that can handle/be upgraded in the future.

Let the game begin :D :D :D .

glen

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Agree

With all the points made above!

I have just dipped my toe into the performance puddle myself and have realised that it comes all the way up to my neck. :(

For info my mods were: HKS dowpipe, Blitz exhaust, De-cat, Apexi Induction, Boost Controller and an oil cooler. Because of the nature of the Blitz exhaust, Abbey had to fit a restrictor to control the boost, but at the higer setting (1.2 bar) its putting out 420bhp(recorded at g-force). This is probably the limit in terms of performance for the current turbos and injectors.

I'm no looking at making some more long term modifications as suggested; I don't want to be making the same purchases twice.

Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
404 Posts
'Skyline tuning... It's a downhill slide with no end in sight.'

I was talking to some ex-Skyline owners at the weekend and asked why not another one well the unanimous answer was ‘tuning a Skyline… it's a downhill slide with no end in sight.'

Guy and Glen are seasoned Skyline owners and know their stuff when getting the most out of their cars. I’d just add an oil catch tank if you’re going to run more than 1 bar.

Paul.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Re: 'Skyline tuning... It's a downhill slide with no end in sight.'

Surely that's the same with any car but at least with the Skyline it's got plenty of potential and can take more than most wallets can throw at it?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Downhill Slope

You are right about it being an addiction.

At first 300bhp feels quick, then you need 400bhp, then 550bhp seems a good target, but it's a bit slow at 150mph, so you need 650bhp, then ....................

The price/bhp goes through the roof as you go higher, yet you still convince yourself it's necessary. Modifying is the done thing for GTR's and we all encourage each other, so it's all your fault I've spent so much on modifications.

Guy

·
Registered
832 Posts
Re: Good points

TOKYO said:
Hi Initial E

I ran 421 bhp in my 34 (as did Joss,) with HKS I/C, HKS Hard Pipe Kit, Standard ECU, AFR's, Trust D/Pipe, NISMO Exhaust (already fitted to the car when new), HKS Filters(like Guy said didn't really need 'em though) and the car ran superbly at 1.2 bar with no boost controller.

glen
Surely you must have used an Abbey modified ECU to run more boost Glen? Or an adjustable actuator? If you weren't running a boost controller.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts