1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do we need more of em?
Do we need less of em?
Do we need em at all?

Nothing against the moderators or Cem but we did OK on here before without ' big brother ' watching our every post, most things got sorted out when they needed to before they got out of hand.

Personally I dont like it, what do you think?

Vote now before this gets Moderated!:D

Edited to try and allow more than one vote but couldnt work it out, doh. Sorry Peter.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Andy,

Got to admire your tact! I didn't think you'd have balls.... :)

I'd like to have 2 votes though!

Peter.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Are you tryin to start trouble again Dirky?????:D

Not bothered either way reall, both was fine, glen and guy dont seem to censor anyone so whats the problem?

At least they stopped all the GTR32 rubbish (which I was involved in he says very quietly);)

Si

S

·
0 Posts
Check out the mess at 300zx.co.uk

No disrespect to Craig at the 300zx forum, hell Im even donating hardware for the new server and I dont even have a zed anymore!

Bu-ttttt

That place can and often does resemble a bloody playground - too many egos and some very bad feeling.

We tried moderation but it never worked due to, I guess, apathy and no one wanting to be seen to censor. Basically anything goes and some of the posse abuse it in my opinion. Occasionally Craig will close a thread but usually by this time the damage is done.
What tends to happen on 300zx.co.uk is bile thrown at members whom other members have fallen out with, here there are PM for that but I think the moderation helps to avoid it happening on the public forums.
I get the feeling there is a healthy respect here, I always got that feeling and my thoughts are its a good thing BUT it can make the register a little sterile - as though personalities are not fully reflected in posts and threads.

Here are some stupid wastes of bandwidth:

http://www.300zx.co.uk/forums/ubbforum/Forum1/HTML/008966.html
http://www.300zx.co.uk/forums/ubbforum/Forum1/HTML/008677.html
http://www.300zx.co.uk/forums/ubbforum/Forum1/HTML/008673.html

There are much much worse - yep its mildly amusing and nope I dont like censorship one little bit BUT I get the feeling that all that nasty shit wouldnt happen here.

So no I dont like to be moderated but I feel that someone moderating what is said makes the register a more civilised place.

Sorry to waffle but I feel strongly about this and dont want gtr.co.uk to degenerate into a public slanging forum, nor do I want it to be like mkivsupra.net where (IMHO) you cannot say anything without a moderator jumping down your neck (sorry JB but I cant stand mkiv.net:( )

Rant over.

Glen <---- been here since day one, only just got a Skyline ;)

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
This board is very enjoyable. One of the reasons, is that there are moderators. The other reasons are the non-moderators :D .
Moderators are policemen. Even the sight of them makes you tremble (just kidding Glen :p ). Or wanting to p1ss on their shoes and tell them that it's raining :D
I say keep the b'stards....

Andre.

·
Registered
805 Posts
2p worth

Dirk,

I've no doubt moderation in many areas is a complete mystery to you :), but for me as a 'guest' on this board, I respect the 'owner's' wish for moderation and prefer it that way, if not I can go elsewhere. I've no doubt it is a very difficult task to keep everyone happy, when 'moderating', but after all this is only car enthusiasts site so deleting an odd post is hardly serious, in the life and death stakes

If it is of concern to you, you could of course start your own 'open' forum, but if develops like some I've seen it won't be for me

RonS

·
Registered
805 Posts
Post 150

Er...hum, of course when I said "this is only car enthusiasts site", I meant the TOP enthusiasts site...

Post 150 done... I'm off to me bed, can't stay up late like you young lads anymore :D

RonS

·
Registered
97 Posts
arent all grow ups have better things to do then slagging each other off??

i think the reason why people do that its coz A: they know nothing and think they are the best

B: they dont like what other says thats bad of which they own it

C: they cant use their brain or say ''SORRY''

anyway.........its good to have someone who watch over things juz to make sure everything is in order

LL

PS.......we all got better things to do then wasting time slagging

·
Registered
97 Posts
donno
u say
hehehe

LL:D

·
Registered
547 Posts
Ahh but

Actually I always moderated in the background .. I have deleted quite a few posts in y time .. or cleaned them up a bit

So it's never been 100% free mate

- Joss

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Go the Moderators :D

IMO without moderators this site will go the way of the Zed board mentioned earlier. As it grows (maybe Cem can give figures for the user base / % growth) the number of hangers on will increase and people posting with no intent than to cause distress to users will appear.

I'd be happy to help out too guys, nobody likes me anyhow :(

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Glen/Guy,

I think you're both doing a great job...keep it up. Enough brown nosing...give me a spin in your cars next time we meet :D :p

Claire

·
Registered
805 Posts
Re: Nothing against the 'moderators'

Glen,

TOKYO said:
I'm Glen and the other ones Guy ;) .

I voted get rid of 'em.
LOL... another cracker mate, love your sense of humour :smokin:

RonS

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
what a pointless post!

Keep em.
stops all the crap getting through like racism, slander etc.
otherwise it will become a bloody chat room like before.
Why don't you start up GTR chat Dirk? They have it on other boards and you can say your piece on there...

NLW.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Not really giving a toss either way and having been the subject of moderation myself and not wishing to speak for Andy, (deep breath) the question was not whether this board needs moderation, it is was whether we need moderators, I think... :)

Obviously it needs moderation or people like me could get pi55ed or whatever or not of course and say what they liked. The adminstrator performed that task before (thanks Joss) on his own without the need for separate moderators.

Obviously that decision has to be Cem's being the owner of the site although I suppose we do live in a sort of democracy so I'm sure he listen and takes account of our opinions. I suppose it depends whether this site should be run in the form of a club or not. If it is, perhaps one issue with some people is (and don't get me wrong here G & G) who the moderators are....? Perhaps we should set up annual elections for moderators... :) Radical or what!

Peter.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
If we take into consideration

these guys are doing it in their own time and effort then I think they should be applauded.
They also run bloody quick and georgeous Bayside skylines so another pat on the back.

Fair points there PE (how's things...gazmo PMd me and reckons he has had those bloody JJs out...swine!!)

Good luck to all tomorrow and I hope you get what you want with no probs or breakages.
NLW

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Like I say Nick, I don't give a, just trying to read between the lines and make the world a far happier place!! :)

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.