21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I guess the votes so far give us a clue:

25 - Yes
4 - No
9 - Don't care

People like having moderators and whether I was one or not, I would vote for having them.

I'm not sure what started this debate, as very little has ever been moderated (I closed the GTR32 thread, removed a few plate references and have moved/joined some threads), no more than administration really.

However I'll be blunt and say that if the real issue is 'I don't like Guy and Glen' or 'isn't it unfair that they're both Abbey customers', then that is an entirely different debate......

Guy

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Re: Ahh but

Joss said:
Actually I always moderated in the background .. I have deleted quite a few posts in y time .. or cleaned them up a bit

So it's never been 100% free mate

- Joss
I know that Joss but you never made it feel like you were sitting in the wings, batton in hand waiting to pounce either, thats what it feels like to me, thats why I dont like it, its no disrespect to anyone on here, Glen, Guy or Cem, its Cems site he can do whatever he likes but things are changing here, some for the best but its getting further away from being a cosy friendly place here, as per our discussion Cem;)

I just dont want it to be like the other forums, full of hate and disrespect either and feel that if there was no problem in the first place, why change it?, again no disrespect Cem:) .

I'm not trying for a revolution, just airing my concerns, I used to come on here quite alot and have a good laugh but just recently all my posts are getting more serious cos I write something funny or amusing or p1ss taking for a laugh and then sit here and think, nah cant post that, someone will jump down my throat, paranoia maybe? I dont know, but thats how I feel.

I dont like the ' in yr face ' moderating, not ' moderators ', nothing against anyone, everyones on here for entertainment and to enjoy themselves and for me this enjoyment is whittling away slowly ( and some others on here ), and I enjoy it too much to sit here, get the hump and stop posting as I have in the past. Go back a few months, the site was buzzin, everyone having a laugh, no bad feelings, Dirk banter thread time I am talking, it wasnt everyones cup of tea but we were all soo much closer then, the competition, friendship, banter, it was going so great then we get all the bandwidth and serious shite and we are all back to square one cos of a few serious hard comments. Everyones entitled to their opinion but you could see how many people were logged on, it got so many people up and buzzin around that time, not just the thread but everything in general, now we are back to mostly serious shat again and where are all the die-hards?

As per the poll, moderators are so far the best choice in a majority opinion which is fine, I have no problem with that, just airing my views, I dont like it, I am not ready to sit at my computer with my smoking jacket on, pipe in hand, fire burning, dispensing good solid advice whilst leaving my sense of humour in a different set of trousers, know what I mean! Thats how its making me feel at the moment whether intentional or not.

I mean, take a look at this post, what a load of tosh, wheres the Dirk that just came on here for a laugh to enjoy the scene? Oops, sorry just remembered, got me blue slacks on today, SOH in my Black ones:D

:(

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Guy said:

However I'll be blunt and say that if the real issue is 'I don't like Guy and Glen' or 'isn't it unfair that they're both Abbey customers', then that is an entirely different debate......

Guy
Just see this after I posted my epic story, read my post above Guy, I dont dislike you or Glen, weve had our run ins on topics etc but thats healthy debate, I dont dislike you's , maybe you dislike me? I cant help that but this is what I am talking about, I post something topical and controvertial and its gets turned around and I have to go and put my Darth Vader suit back on cos Luke Skywalker is trying to strike me down:D The difference I feel is that what ever you or Glen post now, you must remember to us now ' mear mortals ' you are the voices of the board and it means serious stuff, what we have a laugh and a joke or chat about off the board is different but on here you are representing us all thats your choice to be moderators.

Now youre making me sound like I am creating a scaving attack you two when I clearly said at the beginning that this was not the case. Dont go there Guy, its not necessary, youre just beating yourself up for no reason.:)

What difference does the fact that you are Abbey customers make to me? and even if it does, why should that make any difference, this is not my issue here, why bring it up, it just creates divides, the same ones that dont belong on here.

I am not attacking you or Glen or Cem, my feelings would be the same if any other member on here were moderators, I just dont like that part of it now thats all and therefore seeing if anyone else feels the same instead of playing secret squirels and back stabbing asking behind the scenes, its health to bring it all out.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Who moderates the Moderators ?

Guy,

Where did that come from ?
FFS chill a little, no-one is trying to start a flame war, it's just a discussion. :eek:

BTW, I'm with Dirk and agree this site is becoming a labour, very little enjoyment to be had from it recently with overly serious topics and overly pumped but fragile egos getting in the way of the fun.

Just check back to the 'This site no longer belongs to Joss, and aren't we cool, please pat my back' thread. (I can't recall the correct title) I did comment at that time that the quality of this site was starting to slip.

Told Ya So :p

Edited cos, I still think we need moderators, and my agreement with Dirk didn't read right

·
Registered
253 Posts
Like me grandad always said

"every thing in moderation is a good thing"

So keep em!!

mind you he did die young....mmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Dirk,

Maybe I'm taking it a bit personally then.

I'm here for the cars, I love Skylines and I love doing events with them. I've made some good friends here and try to be polite and respectful to everyone.

I'm happy for there to be more moderators and I'm happy to give it up, I do it because I thought it would help and because I was asked to. It doesn't give me any sense of power and i don't see why anyone should feel afraid - personally I can't imagine you as Darth Vader with sideburns and I would be a very overweight Luke Skywalker!

With all the bad luck I've had with my cars and also the negativity on the board at times I often wish I had never bought a Skyline, then I remember the good times (dyno days, trackdays and the Germany Trip) and I realise I can never give it up.

Oh no I'm rambling...........

Guy

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Guys....just chill out!! We are all here to chat about Skylines and not have a go at each other. Moderators are here to keep an eye on things...and so far they have done a great job IMO.

"Keep chilling" as Samuel L. Jakson would say:D :p

·
Registered
666 Posts
I am a miserable B'stard but love my car.
I look on this board every day almost bar none, and rarely post.
As a thoughly boring b*ggar I am interested in the cars and the techinical and enjoy the occasional laugh, but casual banter and 'was it you' should not take over the board as it has been recently.
At times the amount of crap on the board has made me wonder why I bother.
A year ago or more the board was fantastic, now it is overrun with much pointless nonsense.
I still read just for the occasional sensible thread of interest amongst all the dross.

What made this board great is the car.

Perhaps there needs to be two boards one for the humour which some people crave, and one for boring f*rts just like me.

I think it was boring f*rts like me which made the board special in the first place though.

OK start shooting!

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
I agree with Ged. I agree that the board was imo a better place when it was smaller, most of the contributors actually owned Skylines, were interested in learning from each other's experiences, good or bad and all was relatively light hearted barring the odd misdemeanour. :eek:

Into boring fart mode and getting ready for flack and not wishing to dis anybody here but, I honestly think this is the problem with the fairly rapid expansion of late and whilst elitesim (for want of a better word) is not what we want, it is perhaps what we need. More people, more crap, more personalities, more differences, more agendas. It's only gonna get worse I reckon..... :(

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Surely there is room for Dirk and his ego, it can't be that big...can it:D

Come on matey, lighten up, you are still humourist in residence.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Mycroft

I dont have big ego that requires another forum, I started a thread and its been questioned, thats all.

I am no better or worse than anyone else on here, just the same and I am asking questions.

:)

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Re: Mmmmm something fishy going on

TOKYO said:
This thread appears to be another stirring situation, cleverly worded and disguised, and with an underlying point that will never present itself in full. It's being disguised for a reason and it pi55e5 me off when people take me and everyone elso on here for a fool. IF YOU'VE GOT SOMETHING TO SAY, THEN BE A MAN AND SAY IT FOR GAWDS SAKE.

I hope members on here realise that sometimes they can unwittingly be used as Pawns in a game of Chess and should be aware of this.

My personal thoughts are that Traders are a great asset to this site but perhaps they are the ones that ultimately need voluntary moderation. After all they do have a vested interest in taking our hard earned £££££'s whether this be in the form of parts or manual work :D
Must say I couldn't understand this Glen. Why have you and Guy mentioned 'Traders' and 'Abbey'? We all know that you and now Guy are in Abbey's fold and Andy loves Gary but what relevance is this is in this discussion? Am I being totally thick....?

Peter.

PS. Can't make the Legion, they measure the beer in a different way to the Labour club!! ;)

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Hi All,

Two things immediately come to mind.

Firstly, Andy, if you're going to post something controversial, then by the very meaning of the word it's going to go against the beliefs of the majority. That's the nature of controversy. To then expect no-one to disagree with your controversial points would be a little naive.

Secondly, nobody likes change. I am trying my very best to keep this board as it was before and have stressed to Guy and Glen on many occassions to be as invisible as they can. Please also understand that for two of the most well known Skyline celebrities in the UK, for them to remain totally unbiased and ethical in their postion as moderators is an extremely hard task and one that is often discussed between us. They are human after all and we all have opinions.

As for my choice of moderators and the reasoning behind it, well let's just say I knew no better. I was relatively new in the scene and saw them both to be the most knowledgeable and also the most well known within the community. As far as I've seen they've done fantastic jobs and have had nothing but subjective critisicm for the part they play. Would you rather Glen wax lyrical about Abbey Motorsport the same way you discuss GT Art? Because that's something he's never done since being a moderator.

As for why we need moderators, well the site's now being funded by my own pocket, traffic is higher and the community is larger. As such, I am unable to maintain and moderate the site on a full time basis by myself. It needs moderating, as some people know, every website is open to abuse. 6 eyes are better than two.

Andy,
I did think about asking you if you minded helping out with the moderation, but as a future sponsor of the site I thought it would be an unethical position ;)

Keep the comments coming folks, I am interested to see where this will end up. But please keep them factual and non-subjective.

Cem

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
I hope members on here realise that sometimes they can unwittingly be used as Pawns in a game of Chess and should be aware of this.
I'd just like to go on record, factually that is ;) , that my opinion in this subject has not been manipulated by anyone elses personal agenda.

I still feel that the slide in the quality of threads on this board is not a recent thing, and hope that it can be halted. I wholeheartedly believe that we need moderators to achieve this and will stand by their decisions to moderate as they see appropriate, until such time as it would appear that their impartiality has been compromised.

Glen,
I hope your not having a dig at me, else I'll bring up the tights thing again. Woops, I did didn't I :eek:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Quality...

...Surely the way forward is to use the Technical forums more for skyline questions and accept banter etc in the General Chit Chat...

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,591 Posts
I have been on this forum since Joss got the previous one on line. In my opinion it has gone down hill.

Most of the old regulars, of which Glen and Guy are among, don't bother any more because of the stupid banter.

As for being an old fart question, I have my mates and work colegues around me for a laugh and piss taking, where this forum is for Skylines and the love of.

I have expressed my concerns a few tmes now about the growth of the site. Its like most buisnesses I guess. Once money is involved you have the need to make it as large as possible so it can be as flash as possible. I prefer the small presonal touch.

Dirk,
Have you ever though that people may be put off by harsh remarks and 'banter', cos they do.

I now have to inform several of the old regulars when a meet is comming up cos they can't be arsed to get involved in all this.

I guess I don't have a solution, but the bigger this thing gets the worse it will get.

I will be off before then though.

Sort it out guys, we NEED moderators, other wise we will be over run, if we are not already.:(

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Scott said:

Dirk,
Have you ever though that people may be put off by harsh remarks and 'banter', cos they do.

Im sure they do , but hey, I feel the same with other things on here and what people say, we all got feelings.:)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Glen, sorry can't make the legion I am off down the darby and jones club!
At my age I can't afford the luxury of the legion

21 - 40 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.