GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like the DSG box in the Audi/VW camp is very nice and now that Nissan have a competitor in the R35 does anyone think that a box may be retrofitted to the skyline R32/33/34?

I believe it would really update the skyline by using a modern technology that helps performance and is the one thing I'd like to see as an upgrade. These new dual clutch gearboxes are a remarkable improvement.

One more thought, how does a continuously variable transmission box compare? Is there one available that can handle 500BHp? Will it perform better than a manual by using full engine power for longer?
Continuously variable transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
206 Posts
What's wrong with the good old fashioned clutch and gear stick? I hate DSG boxes as they take part of driving away.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I've read, these new gearboxes are more fuel efficient and faster at changes. So it only makes sense to use them if they can be used. CVT seems to suffer with high power outputs, but Nissan do a CVT for there 3.5V6 260BHp engines, so its getting there.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,199 Posts
It looks like the DSG box in the Audi/VW camp is very nice and now that Nissan have a competitor in the R35 does anyone think that a box may be retrofitted to the skyline R32/33/34?

I believe it would really update the skyline by using a modern technology that helps performance and is the one thing I'd like to see as an upgrade. These new dual clutch gearboxes are a remarkable improvement.

One more thought, how does a continuously variable transmission box compare? Is there one available that can handle 500BHp? Will it perform better than a manual by using full engine power for longer?
Continuously variable transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It would be possible to do though I suspect that the costs would out weigh the benefits. If you spend enough money on sticking the box into a R32-34 then you could probably just buy an R35 for the same outlay and MUCH less hassle.

If you were replacing the engine and gearbox (and I suppose 4WD system) for another package then it might make more sense. I can't think of many current DSG packages which I'd want to put in my GTR: the Audi V8s and V10s are robotised manuals (from memory), can't see the Porsche flat six fitting, maybe the VAG V6...

I should also add that having driven a couple of dual clutch boxes they aren't that much fun to use. The fuel economy saving is pointless given the implementation cost and the performance benefits could be gained with say a sequential box.

Oh and CVT boxes are horrid for performance driving. Makes the engine/drivetrain feel like they are on a piece of elastic.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
dual clutch with paddles can be fun, the 35s is. I still like the R33's box but that 3 to 4th and on to 5th is always a worry at full bore....

in the 35 its the fun bit

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
It's interesting to note that the 'fuel economy' increases with DSG boxes are false; the 'combined cycle' etc. figures that manufacturers have to use for manual boxes set the gear change rpm points.

This means that they may be changing at the wrong point in the torque curve for best economy.

DSG boxes can change where they like, so obviously get different figures.

Another example of bunch-O-ass government green meddling which causes more harm than good... There's no way a DSG is more fuel efficient than a decent modern manual; how can it be? The energy to make it work has to come from somewhere...

You could argue that you need to add the human's CO2 into the equation for a manual, but life's too short... :D

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2 things spring to mind on the efficiency part.

1. Maybe there are less mechanical losses in a DSG box? I'm guessing so don't flame me.
2. The computer is better than a human at selecting the right gear?

CVT is the interesting one as that in theory will maximize efficiency and performance, but the feel is a problem

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Good points, but there's no reason a manual can't be designed for equal mechanical losses to a DSG.

Fair point about DSG choosing a better gear than most idiot drivers out there too. :D

My point is fact, though; the official mpg tests are flawed for manuals due to the fixed rpm change points.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking more like the Tesla, as in a constant push squishing your internal organs. But hey I haven't driven a car with CVT and they ain't in performance vehicles so I guess there is some technical problem.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
DSG's are better on economy when in full auto mode

mine changes really early in the rev range if leave it in auto

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like the DSG control mechanism, it synchronizes engine speed during changes so there is probably less loss in energy and less ware on the clutch plates. I'd love to get one of these fitted to a R32.

Is there a separate computer for the gearbox?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I like the DSG control mechanism, it synchronizes engine speed during changes so there is probably less loss in energy and less ware on the clutch plates. I'd love to get one of these fitted to a R32.

Is there a separate computer for the gearbox?
Seperate computer and logic for the shifting.

The R35 setup - I see a used box on ebay for 15k , USD. Just the box. That is a trans-miss-differ-clutch-transfercase assembly.

No one has gone that far into the TCU yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts