GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I was just wondering how reliable are tuned/modified R35 GTR‘s ?
I have a 2013 GTR which I’ve had since new and I’m wondering whether to modify it but my wife is a little concerned about breaking down in the middle of nowhere

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hi all
I have a 2013 GTR which I’ve had since new and I’m wondering whether to modify it but my wife is a little concerned about breaking down in the middle of nowhere
It depends on the type of modification and who does the job, do your homework & discuss with the big names to define what you wanna do, you can't take any shortcut nor "saving" to be made.

One thing you can consider is bolt on parts to improve the cooling, turbos, fuel supply etc with a tune, should be enough to improve the perfs without going crazy, remember that's a capable engine you have.

As long as you don't buy eBay upgrade tuned modified kits that comes from a sweat shop, you should be fine and won't break down somewhere.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
The more power any car makes the more unreliable it will become it's as simple as that

Just make sure it's built properly and quality parts are used, after that it's simply a case of "you pays ya money and take ya chances"

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi all
I've been driving GTR's since 2009. They started at 473/478 bhp, my MY12 had 523bhp and my MY17 made 562 bhp. My latest car has a stage 4 tune and was making 680bhp with a completely decatted exhaust which won't pass an MOT. The latest car is an absolute hoot but has more power than you realistically use on the road. Before you spend the money ask yourself what you need the extra power for ?

·
Premium Member
5,950 Posts
Mine has been stage 2 for nearly 6 years and used as a daily, never had an issue with the engine and gearbox. The only time I have been left at the side of the road is with flat tyres.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just part exchanged my 4.5 in for a 1006 and we shall see how reliable. All build properly by reputable companies from on here. No issues whatsoever in the year i ran my 4.5 750 hp,but this is a different animal all together. The key is servicing i believe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for your replies.
With the aftermarket performance exhaust systems, does it make it particularly noisy in the car or is it tolerable? I seem to remember someone saying the car can drone on a motorway with the y-pipe changed

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've been driving GTR's since 2009. They started at 473/478 bhp, my MY12 had 523bhp and my MY17 made 562 bhp. My latest car has a stage 4 tune and was making 680bhp with a completely decatted exhaust which won't pass an MOT. The latest car is an absolute hoot but has more power than you realistically use on the road. Before you spend the money ask yourself what you need the extra power for ?
Totally agree. Im at the point. 2020 model, incredible power in standard form. The need for more power becomes questionable.

·
Premium Member
5,950 Posts
The early stage remap are less about more power (though that is nice) but the enhanced driveabilty throughout the Rev range

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
The reliability aspect seems to be a bit hit and miss. You can find threads on here where either engine and/or gearbox have failed. But its often impossible to know how well the car has been treated (properly warmed up, maintained, abused, put under stress etc etc). Likewise, the same applies for cars that haven't had faults. And there will be many "failures" that go unreported so the overall %reliability can never been known. I've got a CBA (2010) its at 35k miles, I'm the second owner, its never broken down or left me stranded. I service it every 6 months, even if its only done 1-2k miles since the last service. And I drive sympathetically, ALWAYS let it warm up properly etc.

Re. exhaust drone - its a subjective thing. Some have reported issues with certain y pipes, others have no problem. From what I've learnt, 102mm exhausts seem to drone less than 90mm ones. I don't know about 75mm, slightly bigger than stock so perhaps OK? 102mm Titan Street for example, no drone at all. Loud on start up for about 10-20 seconds, quietens down to a deeper rumble that is purposeful but isn't that loud. Normal driving stays sporty but not intrusive, go above 3k it starts to sing, above 3.5/4k or wide open throttle sounds absolutely incredible and LOUD. And its non of this valve exhaust and synthesised sound crap - its a proper exhaust. Downpipes seem to make a big difference noise-wise and you may notice smell of exhaust fumes in the cabin (hot days etc). Something to bear in mind as you lose the catalytic converters.

4.25 for example, gives you more drama than stock. More noise (whoosh from intakes) and sound from exhaust. Personally, I don't think its really useable in normal driving, its so easy to do quick blip in 3rd and be at speed limit within seconds. BUT....the extra hp and torque ensures you have enough "in the tank" to pulverise most things in the real-world, especially when you are in the right gear and on boost. Above 4.25 and the cost v performance ratio seems to go the wrong way. But that's no different to many things e.g. audiophile quality hifi.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts