GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep its another question about my clutch troubles!!!!!:bawling:

After putting the box back up to my car with my new nismo super coppermix single plate i fired her up and it was very hard to get in gear, once in gear though it seems to work fine and bites halfway up the pedal.
I have now took the box off again and feel that it may be the spigot bearing bitting on the gearbox shaft, is this possible?
How far do you tap the spigot bearing into the hole in the crank as i see there is a shoulder in there, does it go up to this or just flush with the end?

Any advice as im lost again!!

·
Registered
558 Posts
i cant see it being the spigot bearing,when it is running and clutch is pressed in gear the imput shaft istnt moving,so if the spigot had a prob im sure it would make some kind of noise.
you are in the same situation as me,with the os giken conversion kit i have the slave cyl push rod is adjustable and i can adjust it to get a gear but then it slips.i'm just getting myself motivated to tackle this again next week,but i'm fitting a r32 bellhousing and push conversion for a ats carbon twin, and hope this cures it.
when its all fitted, is there any play between the slave cyl pushrod and the clutch arm,if you have a bit of freeplay try a longer push rod made out of a old bolt.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have already tried lengthening the push rod but it had no effect!
This sounds like it has got to you as much as me mate, i have had enough of this job, it has gutted me as i seem to get over one problem and then find another.
Does anyone know what the problem is?

·
Registered
558 Posts
yep same here, i had the box on and off 4 times in one day then 2 days trying different things,i asked rod bell and very helpfull he was but only told me what i had already tried.
i'm stuck cant think of anything else other than a slave cyl with a smaller bore to give it more travel.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Yep its another question about my clutch troubles!!!!!:bawling:

After putting the box back up to my car with my new nismo super coppermix single plate i fired her up and it was very hard to get in gear, once in gear though it seems to work fine and bites halfway up the pedal.
I have now took the box off again and feel that it may be the spigot bearing bitting on the gearbox shaft, is this possible?
How far do you tap the spigot bearing into the hole in the crank as i see there is a shoulder in there, does it go up to this or just flush with the end?

Any advice as im lost again!!
Not the spigot bearing, they sit flush with the crankshaft end but if it goes in a couple of mm more it does not matter too much. Could be air in the system. A new clutch arm could also help as these can bend. Also the piviot arm can wear. There is some adjustment on the master cylinder push rod as a temp fix. Did you let the weight of the gearbox hang before it was fully home as this can bend the clutch disc

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Paul.
Thanks for the advice.
I did not think i did any harm in how i put the gearbox back in and surely a warped disc would judder on take off?
When fitting a new clutch do you have to adjust the master cylinder push rod to compensate for the thicker clutch?
I spent ages (actually days!!!) bleeding the clutch fluid and made sure all air was out of the system.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
You would normally get judder but with the servo system on the GTR clutch I am not sure if it would be felt at the pedal. The clutch should self adjust to the clutch disc thickness in much the same way as the brake system does for new brake pads.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK eventually I managed to solve the problem and now have an operational clutch.
This did turn out to be a problem with the brass spigot bush as i first imagined. These little things are a complete pain in the **** and i do not understand why nissan did not use a bearing instead of a bush.
When i tapped it into the crankshaft the first time it appeared i just turned one of the edges over on it and it was grabbing on the input shaft and spinning it even when the clutch was released and so made it hard to engage a gear. When i took the box back off i reamed it out with a 16mm drill bit turned very slowly and cleaned it up and this solved the problem.
I learnt the hard way with this clutch how carefull you have to be.

May be something for you to consider about the spigot bush car32?

·
Registered
558 Posts
great news:smokin:
with mine defo not spigot,as i can adjust the pushrod and this gives me a fully operational clutch but it then slips.the other way you cant get gears but it does'nt slip.:confused:

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Ian, glad to hear you got sorted in the end.

Speak soon

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers.
Have you tried adjusting very very slightly as clutches are funny things, they only just need enough to release.
I hope you get it sorted as i know how frustrating it is, i was close to putting it on a trailer and getting it to a tuners and asking them to make it work!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts