GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Nick,

Good to hear you'll be up for Bedford. I have no idea what the demand has been like for that event so if you're 100% about it, I'd book it sooner rather than later.

The Elvington day on 24.5 is a beginners day (50 cars) hence the price. Normal ET days there are £89 with 40 cars.

Have you 'nailed' a car now? Was the one 'up north' what you were looking for?

Cheers.

Peter.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have found a beaut...

will send you an email to explain all.
Let's just say one of the official UK cars with all the traimmings
:)

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
will do when I have got the

car mate. Don't want to tempt fate. Not a good player with that one.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I agree,

I am determined to do more track days this year

I am booked in on the Goldtrack Donnington day on the 25th Feb and I've just provisionally booked the Goodwood day through Easytrack on the 30 March :D

I looked at the Elvington day but this seems too close to the Alconbury day on the 19th May and I can't do both :mad:

Does anyone know if the Alconbury day is still on ?

Good luck with the new car ;)

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Jez,

I don't want to be alarmist but the ET day at Goodwood on 30th March is a quiet day (98db at 3/4 revs). My car has tested at between 105db and 108bd at Goodwood in the past. Goodwood are well known for being the most stringent noise testers in the business. They have 2 or 3 static noise meters linked straight through to the Council. Have you had your car noise tested? If you fail the test, you'll be off home without a refund...

Peter.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Track Days

When I went to Brentwaters there were a few 'loony ' drivers who made me very nervous and paranoid about incidents !It's no fun seeing a spinning car in front merely 40/50 metres away from one at 70mph I can tell you !But once you suss the 'dangerous' ones its relatively easy to avoid them ! I also want to do afew more trackdays for I enjoy them and it helps me to learn to drive better.The best and most 'comfortable' trackdays for me were the ones at Kemble with just us loonies on there !The cars were all of similar performances and driven by people who respected their cars and others cars also !Lets hope someone will arrange a couple .Are you out there DaveC?;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
our combined day at alconbury on the 19th is still on yes, will be 60 gti-rs, 50 cars from 200+ (and approx 10-15 of you skylines!)
will be run to same format as top ten day in july, hence split between drag/top speed and a circuit. circuit part will be run on sessions, limiting cars out on track. can prob let groups go on, ie skylines only, gti-rs only etc.
i am also looking to book a top venue for a "track only" comparison day, details later on that one, again invite only, you will be in the first to know!
rgds
chris m

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Re: Track Days

Paul.GTR34 said:
Just looked up that link Nick and have seen what sort of cars are going there .You are going to take your lovely 'new ' Sky there with all those other cars who probably don't care as much about their cars as most of us do ?
Paul,

What on earth are you on about? Don't you think you're being a 'teeny bit' insulting about the people booked in for this day? There's a selection of some very nice cars booked. Why would you suppose that the type of car somebody owns gives you any indication as to how much they care for it? My first car was Vauxhall Viva HB and I cherished it. Let's not get too high and mighty about things.

Peter.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Peter & Paul,
Peter,
I think Paul is spot on the money here.
Yes every car enthusiast loves their car, but mixing cars on track with very very different handling characteristics is chancy.
There is also the value of the car to consider.
Paul must have paid a packet for his R34 and if it got bent by a Caterham or w.h.y the car would be ruined for Paul for ever.
It is easy to replace a Caterham but a good skyline is not so easy. One day irreplaceable due to the number of abused examples and natural wasteage (accidents).
I am not promoting an elite. it also makes sense for safety sake

Paul,
Although the mix of cars made it "interesting", the actual venue of Brentwaters was well superior to the current Kemble one.
A bigger circuit, wider corners, better run off (cars not travelling the other was at 100mph), and much more suited to skylines.
Dead right we need DaveC to sort something out.
He also needs our support

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Ged,

I guess that's what makes this forum interesting, everybody has got a view.

How many track days have you done and what problems have you had with other marques? I've done a a few now and have never had a problem with any cars even nearly taking me out. You just need to be very aware, make room and only overtake when it obvious the guy in front has seen you. It makes for a more entertaining day IMHO. I think you'll be hard pushed to find any track days which only comprise cars of our sort of straight line performance. You'll be surprised how quick the Caterham, etc. are in the dry.

In a sense you missed my point. Why be disparaging about owners of the type of marques booked in for that day? It's not a bunch of Fiestas or Novas going.....

Anybody else got a view on this, Jamie, Steve R, Rupert, Henry...

Peter.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Other marques

Well I used to take my Ferrari F355 out on test days with all sorts of other 'lesser' marques attending and never had any aggro or worry about coming to grief.

Most people are there to have fun and respect the rules. When you do get an idiot, he's easy to spot and if the venue is any good, he gets a talking to pretty quickly.

I've only seen one car to car collision in all the track days I've attended (quite a lot) and it was two very experienced people who got overly competitive!

my €0.02

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
My post

Point made !
I think my earlier posts can be misconstrued !The way I wrote is not excactly what I meant and thus I shall amend it !:eek:

·
Registered
338 Posts
PeterE

Thanks for the advice re noise.

I've got a full Trust exhaust which is probably a bit quieter than the HKS Hiper mufflers etc but I've never had it tested so I have no idea how many decibels its pushing out.

I'm going on the Goldtrack day in a few weeks and I presume they will noise test me there ?

I think I will leave the goodwood day as provisionally booked till then.

I agree with the idea of getting together and organising some more skyline club days and will definitely be up for attending a couple in the next few months :)

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Jez,

For comparison, I've got a Super Drager exhaust, cat pipe and front pipes running 1.0 bar. The trouble with Goodwood is that they test at 3/4 red line whereas most others test at 4.5k revs. That extra 1.5k revs makes all the difference. At Kemble it made 101db at 4.5k.

Goodwood will happily do a test for you at one of their other tracks days but I guess it's a little far for you to go just for a test.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
in the words of a film...

Chill Winston...
Guys I appreciate the arguments and that but I just wanted to give us an option.
Me being a track day "beginner" I would appreciate as much time I can get after being out with the Peter E and nutman Martin.
Pete, could you tell me more about Alconbury??
Also further details on Bentwaters and how I can get booked on.

Thanks, Nick.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FYI re noise..

Mark at Abbey is selling the mufflers that go into the big single pipes for the track.
I was going to have one for my hiper muffler but I never got that far!!
Give tony a call to see if he can help out. Jez he might have sth for the trust systems but you should be ok.

NLW - Skyline 2.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts