GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realise this is pretty trivial......but for those of you with car covers.

What do you do if you arrive home late at night and it's raining.
Do you
a) Leave the car cover off till it stops raining?
b) Just put it on as soon as possible?
c) Dry the car the best you can and put it on? (Not really possible with West of Scotland rain)

Also can anyone explain the issue with putting the car cover on when the car is wet? Does it cause a problem with the cover or does it damage the car?
If you can assume the car is going to be taken out around within 48 hours. Is that too long under the cover from wet.

Cheers in advance.

PS - i've been driving around in Auto with comfort mode (pre-op), but set off at a set off from a set of lights accidentally in manual with a right foot which would see the car change up to 6 rather quickly but didn't,and reminded myself of what a beast the car is! :D

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ps the kids in my street have just knocked my door to tell me to get my cover on as it's raining :D

·
Registered
794 Posts
Did you ask Paul (@UltimateShine) about car covers? I asked him about it yesterday and he said he would never put a cover on a car unless it was completely clean and dry. In fact, his leaflet about the correct car washing technique says that water spots (i.e. those left after washing but not drying the car) can damage the paint, so I suspect putting a cover on a wet car would be worse.

Having said that, I thought these covers (Nissan and GTROC) were supposed to be breathable and, according to their supporting info, can be put on a wet car, so where have you heard about an "issue"?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you ask Paul (@UltimateShine) about car covers?
Nah because my reason for using car cover was more for hiding her from passers by than paint protection. I don't really have any other option at the moment.

So just running through some of the practicalities of using it.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you ask Paul (@UltimateShine) about car covers? I asked him about it yesterday and he said he would never put a cover on a car unless it was completely clean and dry. In fact, his leaflet about the correct car washing technique says that water spots (i.e. those left after washing but not drying the car) can damage the paint, so I suspect putting a cover on a wet car would be worse.

Having said that, I thought these covers (Nissan and GTROC) were supposed to be breathable and, according to their supporting info, can be put on a wet car, so where have you heard about an "issue"?
Ah didn't see your edit.

Maybe i need to ask Paul what is better - Leaving it out in the elements or putting the cover on a wet / slightly damp and unwashed/dirty car.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Nah because my reason for using car cover was more for hiding her from passers by than paint protection. I don't really have any other option at the moment.

So just running through some of the practicalities of using it.
I don't know if you noticed, but I added a little bit more info onto my original post - just in case it helps your decision about dealing with a wet car.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Ah didn't see your edit either!

By the way, I'd still like to come and see your car cover. Sorry I didn't make it over this weekend. I spent almost 3 hours being shown how to wash my car by Paul yesterday (in addition to the 3 hour round trip). Perhaps we could fit in a game of under-car tennis? :runaway:

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah didn't see your edit either!

By the way, I'd still like to come and see your car cover. Sorry I didn't make it over this weekend. I spent almost 3 hours being shown how to wash my car by Paul yesterday (in addition to the 3 hour round trip). Perhaps we could fit in a game of under-car tennis? :runaway:
:D

No worries. Give me a shout when suits. I'm busy Tuesday & Thurs.

I've still to wash my car as it's not been dry enough.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'd wait until it's dry mate, then give it a quick clean and dry, as any dust and dirt under the cover will be like sand paper when the cover moves in the elements :bawling: .

Leaving it exposed for a day or so will be lot less damaging in the long run, just my IMHO, but used covers on cars over the years and it pays to be cautious, especially with the "Philadelphia" paint work on theses girls.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd wait until it's dry mate, then give it a quick clean and dry, as any dust and dirt under the cover will be like sand paper when the cover moves in the elements :bawling: .

Leaving it exposed for a day or so will be lot less damaging in the long run, just my IMHO, but used covers on cars over the years and it pays to be cautious, especially with the "Philadelphia" paint work on theses girls.
Ah. That makes sense.

Hmmmmm.....will have to rethink how i 'hide' my car from prying eyes!

Thank you very much.

I took her for a run to Edinburgh and back to dry her off :D She certainly pulls hard in 4th and that's without WOT!!! :D
Now home, and just gone past 600 miles...so having to do the high revs bit - which is feels very different to say the least (new thread coming up potentially)

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to spoken to Paul @ The ultimate shine and he confirms what Hope4Sun posted! Hmmmm...car cover for sale soon me thinks, as i'm not likely to washing it AFTER i've driven it, when i want to put the cover on.

Those perambulator garages look interesting! Will have a look at later..Cheers V1H :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts