GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who owns the most powerful R34. Someone was telling me today about a 760bhp one?!?! I know Glens is over 400 but have they got past 700 yet.

Nad

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
R34

The most powerful R34 in the UK, that is backed up with a dyno sheet, is my car at 672bhp at engine (Tuning Japanese Dyno).

Whilst not all R34s are known to the club, we have not heard of any more powerful R34s in the UK though the various Skyline tuners (who would source or build them).

There are a couple of members here who are having their R34s built to high power currently, so it's quite likely that this record will be broken in the near future.

We are however now moving towards dynos that measure power-at-wheels (G-Force and Abbey), so we will be tending to quote power-at-wheels in future (or estimates of flywheel power)

Guy

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The owner was meant to be called 'Rupert' I think. One of his mate 'Malcolm' (R32) was talking to a friend of mine today nr Worthing. Was just enquiring as to the authenticity of what was said.

Nad

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Nad

Rupert has an R33 and around the 670-680 mark.
I have felt most of that and I whooped with joy and nearly shat me load.
Top machine.

Guy's is the most powerful R34 as we know "for BHP: but I am sure someone will have sth to say about "torque' ;-)

NLW

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
I wouldnt wuote any power measured froma dyno connected to the wheels as it means nothing.

you need an engine out dyno to measure it to any acyracy worth quoting.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
22b With all due respect engine dynos mean nothing to me.

how often do you drive an engine up a dragstrip/racetrack/to the shops.

Wheel BHP is everything. Tuners use engine dynos for development as they limit variables, but us mere mortals who drive cars want to know what the car is putting through the rubber not the theoretical maximum output, that is for boasting in the pub to people who don't know the difference between wbhp and flywheel bhp.

Everything has it's place and rolling roads are the way to go for a real car.

How feasable is it to have a dyno day where everyone takes their engine out and sends it to an engine dyno. This is for the setting up and race car teams. wouldn't be much fun to watch either.

cheers
Steve

·
Registered
57 Posts
:)
A guy i know near me has a Big horsepower R34.
Its just had the 2.8 stroker kit installed by Hiteq.I think its having some teething problems at the moment,but with the amount of cash this guy has spent on it, £30k+ i think it will be up there with some of the most powerful R34s in the UK:)

Before he went for the stroker, it was dynoed at 560bhp:eek:

According to the owner this car should hit 700bhp,
it has not been dynoed yet:(

Duncan

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Re: Nad

N15MOW said:

Guy's is the most powerful R34 as we know "for BHP: but I am sure someone will have sth to say about "torque' ;-)

NLW
What me, you mean NLW?, sorry I dont have any torque figures, only 2380lbs of tractive effort:p ( it basically converts to 505ft lbs btw ) hehe, its makes the car go - WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Guy,

i dont think he posts here,but i will let you know when its been on the Dyno.

He has attended a few gtr trackdays with it in the 500bhp form,i dont know if its been on any trackdays since the stroker upgrade.

It was on the Hiteq website(dont know if it still is)under previous projects,it had a long list of upgrades that they had done to the car,but the upgrades were done a few years ago.its not been updated for a while.!

Cheers:)

Duncan

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
G-FORCE

GUY,
G-FORCE with their DYNO DYNAMICS dyno system is the only dyno
that measures power at the wheels.
Gary

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Re: G-FORCE

gary said:
GUY,
Gary
Well thats me entirely lost on the subject... I thought that all Dynos measure Power at the Wheels and that some calculated drivetrain losses and hence flywheel power based on deceleration. Am I wrong?

I thought GForce's dyno was different in that it doesn't calculate power at the flywheel because of a different way of securing the car and runs done in different gears... Meaning perhaps better measuring of [email protected] but no way of calculating [email protected]!

I'm probably talking bo!!ocks though!

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Re: G-FORCE

gary said:
GUY,
Gary
What about the Dynapack ( :smokin: ) dyno....

Daz

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
no

Polar,
no mate, you are correct,I was merly pointing out the fact guy was comparing two dynos as giving power at the wheels,G-forces does and ABBEYS doesent, theirs is measured at the HUBS
kinda moderating him :D
Gary

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Power at the Hubs

I do like this idea as it takes out quite a few equation factors that the 'rolling roads' have to contend with. I suppose the nearer we can get to the engine then the better ;) .

Oooops hope I haven't started another Dyno debate :D .

glen

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Ok,

So for clarity

Abbey = [email protected] and calculations for transmisson loss hence [email protected]
GForce = [email protected] and a guess at transmisson loss
Janspeed = engine dyno setup for skyline @ £350/hour :eek:

But the chances are I will end up using powerstation or interpro and their 'traditional' dynos as they are local...

And I think I read Abbey are building an alternate engine dyno too.

So we probably can't compare cars these days as everyone uses different dynos :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Costs taking it in and out for small/large mods

Thats the biggest bind for an engine dyno so I suppose the closer you can get the better ;) :) .

I've heard a lot of ooooohs and ahhhhs re different readings being given from RR's due to tyre pressures, strapping down, rims sizes, getting on and off the throttle sooner/later = slippage/no slippage etc., etc.,

glen

ps. Like Peter E and Pegleg said on the other thread. Worry about your own car as the Big BHP thing hasgone a bit lame.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Yes

at the end of the day you need to use the testing method that you are happy with, all i know is that my car, as it is makes the power that it does, 424.6 at the wheels, and the wheels are on my car when i drive it down the road, so its real and i know whats on the floor when i drop the hammer.

And what a hammer it is, big fick off sledge:D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts