GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had my 2010 GTR MOT'd this morning at the MOT centre that Litchfields use. I was a bit apprehensive at the time watching it being done, it was jacked up while on the ramp using the suspension arms of the car. I'd had to watch out for this before when I had my Elise which had tubular wishbones and not able to withstand jacking at this point.

Out of curiosity and hoping for the best I've just had a look under my car and the news isn't good, the offside rear lower link arm (which has the collapsible indentation, see link below) has been bent from all the vehicle's weight pressing down on this small tubular steel arm.
2009 Nissan GT-R: Suspension Walkaround

I've tried calling the MOT place but closed for the day. I'll try and post a pic of the damage.

This is a heads up for those who get it done there, and also has anyone got any advice about how to get this remedied?

Cheers
Paul

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
thats disgusting..i own an mot centre and if i found that any of my guys did that to any car i'd kick there arse and they'd be paying for a complete geometry check and the replacement parts..then i'd sack them

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it's appalling, I'd even phoned Litchfields to ask which one they recommended as I'm very fussy about who touches my car for this very reason.

Got so see what Monday brings and if they do the honourable thing. Anyone know how much a new suspension arm costs?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Had mine done there. Just had 4 months on Litchfield suspension fitted and they had huge issues with alignment due to bits having moved and had to spend 2 days rectifying.

Wondering now if it could of been caused during MOT...

·
Vendor
787 Posts
Paul, I'm shocked! Call me on Monday and we'll sort this out for you and deal with the MOT station.
We use 2 local MOT stations (depending on availability) and have not had any previous issues with either. Knowing both owners they will be equally disappointed.

Regards
Iain

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Yes shocking, but these things can happen when perhaps someone new is working there, I'm sure they'll want to sort it as Iain said above.

I once had a Nissan Vanette MOT'd by the local Nissan dealership in Weston S Mare, and it came back with 4 whopping dents in the cills made by a 2 poster lift!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I'm an MOT tester, and I make sure all different cars are jacked up at thier strongest points wheather that be on actual jacking points, front/rear subframes etc after checking if the areas surround aren't badly corroded!

The tester has made the mistake of jacking it there, the Garage should pay for it to be rectified. If not then they will have to go through thier insurance to sort it out for you.

Feel for you buddy! I used to hate watching my cars being MOT'D and was very paranoid about where the testers used to jack etc!

Hope it all gets sorted for you buddy although I think there won't be any issues.

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
Wow wow wow that's a real joke, mot stations out of most garages should know a cars jack point! Added to avoid list. sorry for you man.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Paul, I'm shocked! Call me on Monday and we'll sort this out for you and deal with the MOT station.
We use 2 local MOT stations (depending on availability) and have not had any previous issues with either. Knowing both owners they will be equally disappointed.

Regards
Iain

This is disgusting, but does not surprise me as the motor industry has more retarded idiots than those few who know how and take pride in their work.

You guys should think about offering MOT so all is in house at least then everything would be to the high standard that you set in your workshop.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This is disgusting, but does not surprise me as the motor industry has more retarded idiots than those few who know how and take pride in their work.

You guys should think about offering MOT so all is in house at least then everything would be to the high standard that you set in your workshop.

Please don't tar us all with the same brush. Some of us work bloody hard to look after customers cars. I 100% don't care about efficiency. The job has to be done right and to factory if not better standard, and I don't care how long it takes.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Please don't tar us all with the same brush. Some of us work bloody hard to look after customers cars. I 100% don't care about efficiency. The job has to be done right and to factory if not better standard, and I don't care how long it takes.
Read what I said, I did not say every single one. I too have been ****ed over by idiots who call them selves mechanics or tuners so I stand by what I say and my thoughts on the motor repair industry.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sorry. I kind of skim read it. Fed up of being labeled as a spanner monkey. I work for a very small garage and every week we have several jobs from main dealers they can't fix or have messed up. I agree with you. Most of the industry is a discrace. Hope the op gets a decent compensation for this f up

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
i agree with the above statement..the VSI offers a guide on where to jack the front so the suspension is checked but not the rear but i always make sure its jacked properly and safely..i'd always take a bit longer to make sure its done right.

the worrying thing is that you dont have to be a mechanic to be an mot tester..

·
R35 Section manager
11,252 Posts
Well that is just mad to jack it up on that point. I'm no mechanic but I would have the sense to know where to jack the car up. Trouble is how many cars has that happened to that the owner dosent know about?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts