GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me on the regulations guidelines on the emissions test on my import 34 GTR as i have heard that you don't have to test it? But then others say you must do so! God it's confusing???:confused:
Is anyone a MOT tester on here? Need your advice cos MOTs up & theres no cat on my car at the mo.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Im not an mot tester but i would of thought you would need a cat mate. Only classics are exempt from the emmissions test ( 20 years old +). If i were you id look for a friendly mot station if you get what i mean......

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
won't pass MOT without a cat - MOT stations have 1999 Skyline GT-R listed within their "emission guidline regulation book" with specific emmisions within the tables - I'm sure if you ask a friendly local garage that does MOT's they show you what's required - been there before!

·
Registered
219 Posts
EMMISIONS

IF IT IS A IMPORT THE C/O MUST BE NO MORE THAN 3.5 PERCENT AND HYDRACARBONS NO MORE THAN 1200PPM.IMPORTED CARS DO NOT COME UP ON THE DATA BASE YOU HAVE TO MAKE A NEW DATA BASE FROM THE CARS DETAILS IM A TESTER AND THIS IS WHAT WE DO.

·
Registered
92 Posts
GAL said:
IF IT IS A IMPORT THE C/O MUST BE NO MORE THAN 3.5 PERCENT AND HYDRACARBONS NO MORE THAN 1200PPM.IMPORTED CARS DO NOT COME UP ON THE DATA BASE YOU HAVE TO MAKE A NEW DATA BASE FROM THE CARS DETAILS IM A TESTER AND THIS IS WHAT WE DO.
I had my MOT last Thursday, the tester was able to find and entry for an R33 on his computerised emission test system. Under the versions selection it just listed "All Versions".

Consequenlty the car failed on emissions, as I have no cat. It is an early Feb 1995 GTR.

It is worth trying another MOT centre or do they all use the same computerised test system?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yeah mine just failed the emmisions. Mines a 95 gtr and For C0 it should be 0.3% fast idle and 0.5% idle and the the hc should be about 200 max. Mine has a cat and it still failed even though it was fine when i put it on for the mot last year:mad:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Emissions failures can be from dodgy lambda's or MAF sensors.

Get the cat nice and hot and you should be ok, but a failed sensor throws a spanner in the works.

MB

·
Registered
321 Posts
That was the random thing on mine. The lamda and HC were fine but the co was 1.5% instead of 0.5% And i gave it a very good hammering before i got there to warm it up but to no avail. The sensor in the cat, what does that do? Is it just a temp sensor?

Last year it was ok and now it isnt, ive had a power fc fitted so im thinking that its something to do with that.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
you can play with the PFC settings and reduce the emmission %s - maybe not enough based on what your readings were but if the exhaust is very hot and they start the MOT with the emmissions first you might get a lot closer to what you need to be.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Thats what i did though. It already failed on it earlier in the week due to me not having the cat on so i put it back on and took it down there.

He did the emissions straight away and it was miles off so i took it for a hard drive up the road and then when i returned we did it again and it was closer but still off.

Ive been doing some digging and VOSA say if it is first used from 1/8/02 - 31/7/05 the do a different test on it, and if they have no vehicle specific match on the database they do the non cat test with lot higher values.

Does anybody know if vosa have the early 95 r33 gtr imports on their database before i know shouting my mouth off at the garage for testing it incorrectly?

thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Silver R33 GTR said:
Ive been doing some digging and VOSA say if it is first used from 1/8/02 - 31/7/05 the do a different test on it, and if they have no vehicle specific match on the database they do the non cat test with lot higher values.

Does anybody know if vosa have the early 95 r33 gtr imports on their database before i know shouting my mouth off at the garage for testing it incorrectly?
I thought that was correct as well, used the flowchart from the VOSA site:

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/publicat...01994-2002.pdf

Mine is a Feb 95 R33 GTR and that was in their emission system database. Well actually it listed Skyline and under version it just had the option for "All Versions". Had to fit a CAT to get it through.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yeah thats what i mean. The 33 on their system is the uk version not the import so i think its a bit of a grey area because even though they can say its on there the car isnt in the proper year range if you get what i mean. When did they first sell 33gtrs here (uk cars)

·
Registered
553 Posts
This is strange, mine failed on the first time round on the lambda values but the tester gave it another go and shoved the sensor really far up the pipe (pauses for childish giggles :) ) anyhoo it passed after that.

Aparrently it was something to do with the size of the bore messing about with the values.... I know you have CO2 issues but maybe you could try that

Sev

1 - 16 of 16 Posts