GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
You have to know a mechanic

When I had my GTi-R I used to get away with **** loads of illegal things. Safe, but not according to the Police! He'd check the car and see if it's safe or not and if it was he'd ignore the straight through exhaust, tarmac rally tyres, harnesses (no seat belts) and just give me the certificate. Where about's do you live?

James

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sports CAT from MM

I live in the W Mids does any one know of such a garage in this area ?or is it case of buying a sport cat from MM inc fitting for 350 quid putting it on for the MOT and taking it off after. Does any one have a Sport Cat that MM are selling fitted and if so what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
CAT

I am sure you could borrow a Cat from someone for the MOT.

I am prepared to lend you mine if you want but I live in sussex and it is a fair drive for something so trivial.

I see no point in using the cat from my old system except for MOT's.:smokin:

If you ever drive down this way then we could meet up and you could borrow it.
what about one of the tuning companies like Middlehurst or Hiteq ?
they may do some sort of deal for the loan of a cat.

Let me know if I can help.

/Steve
[email protected]

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,591 Posts
I'm not sure it is a legal requirment to have a cat,
just emissions low enough to pass.

I don't have a cat, and don't need one in a '91 car.
But when I went for my last MOT the bloke told me even
though I don't need it, on tick over my car comes below
the legal requirment and so would earn a pass.

Never know, try your luck. If not, borough one for your re-test.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the offer Steve but I have been told that you can purchase a unversal Cat, that will do the job for MOT's, from Motor Factors for about 85 quid so I am investigating.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
MOT rules apparently

As told to me by a couple of local garages.

Pre 95 vehicles did not need to have a Cat fitted so if one was not factory fitted then no Cat test for MOT but if one was factory fitted to a pre 95 then a Cat test has to be done, but only if your vehicle type appears in the ministry booklet. I don’t think that the R32 is listed so no Cat test but the following applies

The Co2 output for pre 95 non cat vehicles is 3.00% but for R33, which does appear in the ministry emissions guide booklet, the Co2 output is only 0.30%, and must have a Cat test.

The best my R33 managed 0.80% and averaged 1.70% so unfortunately no where near 0.30% ministry guide.

So Universal Cat on for MOT get the ticket and remove straight away is the only option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Me went for me 1st MOT last week!! and guess what!!! FAILED!!:(

still if you know ppl then mots are easy to come by ;)
But i wouldnt to a thing like that:D!!

BTW STI-R with full HKS System!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Dull and tedious subject

Guy

I just thought that a couple of snaps might just make a rather boring subject a little more interesting thanks for your appreciation. Any way here is another one it is of a Subaru B4 and appeared in national press ads and on billboards in Japan last year

1 - 10 of 10 Posts