GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant find this in the archive (as MOT is too short a word), but i have a question for all GTR owners.

Is the 4WD system on the skyline as delicate as that on the GTiR with regards brake testing on the rollers at MOT stations ? Its to do with the front wheels turning with the back wheels stopped and vice versa when testing the brakes - its supposed to screw the LSD on the GTiR.

So is it the same deal on GTRs ? I dont mind having an accelorometer test on the road, just want to be sure its necessary.

Thanks
Chris

(PS - picking up my own GTR on wednesday ! cant wait!)

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Good question Chris .. this is something I need to look at as my GTS4 will be affected by the same issue... Hmmmm :rolleyes:

This is from the MOT manual...

Certain vehicles should not be tested on a roller brake tester, eg vehicles with:

More than one driving axle permanently engaged

Limited-slip differential

Belt-driven transmission

Brakes for which the servo operates only when the vehicle is moving

These vehicles should be tested using a properly calibrated and maintained decelerometer or a plate brake tester designated as acceptable for the statutory tests, see Sub Section 3.7 B, page 25, and C, page 26.

Hmm .. look out, red tape alert :D

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,591 Posts
As long as wheels are not tested independantly you should be okay.

GT-R's are only 4X4 when there is power in the system.

So I get the front pair done together and then the rears.

If you do try one wheel on its own, then yes power will be sent
down the prop shaft the the other pair!:eek:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Rollers

Just had my GTR MOT'ed and as a previous GTI-R owner I had asked that very question.

Brake test rollers are fine as long as they are a low load type, meaning they spin the wheels gently. Was the answer.

The guy who I asked at the test station know's about Skylines so I guess its reliable info.

Hope this help m8.

Mark.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Excellent!

Nice one Mark .. I'll press the local MOT centre for info before they break my centre diff :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
some excellent info - thanks.

I thought the GTR 4WD system may differ slightly to the GTiR due it only acting as 4WD under power , so thanks all.

Chris

·
Registered
152 Posts
No problem mate.

And yes the 4WD system is totally different to a GTI-R as I found recently IN THE WET! Oh Shite, I thought as that tree comes straight at me........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts