GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've been around here for about 11 years now (which is the amount of time I've wanted an R32 for, incidentally)... But I've been living in Evo land for the last 8 years, and before that, S-chassis world:

UK S14a
UK S13
Evo III
Evo V
Evo V

I've recently sold my last Evo V, with the aim of finally taking the plunge and getting the car I've always dreamed of.

Having become accustomed to the extremely potent handling and power delivery of the early Evos, I'm wondering what the transition to an R32 will feel like, and whether anyone has gone through the same process? I'm guessing I'll be looking at buying something already modded to stage 1, so about 370-400hp... Any ideas on how that would feel compared to an Evo? I am worried that the handling won't be comparable, even if the acceleration is.

Cheers in advance

Dave

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
an r32 gtr weighs in at around 1500 kg, how much does an evo weigh ?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Dave,

When I went from scoobies and (1) evo to an R34 GTR, it took me a long to adjust. The rally bred cars offered permanent four wheel drive compared to the adaptive AWD on the GTR (so to me the GTR did not 'feel' as safe and secure), The Scoobies and Evo I had owned previously were very 'chuckable' around corners, ran a lot less power (400 - 500BHP) so felt like they were easier to control when going fast.

I have to say that the R34 GTR (obviously a bit bigger and heavier) than an R32 GTR never ceases to amaze me when it comes to the handling. Yes, it does now (with a lot more power and torque) scare the crap outta me, but everytime I've needed it get around a corner, brake fast, change direction in a hurry (avoiding obstacles / suddenly stopping cars / chavs) it has always done what I needed it to.

I think moving from the rally refuge to an R32 GTR will be an easier transition than the one I experienced, purely as the 32 is that much smaller / lighter than my 34.

If you go down the route of buying the GTR, I don't think you'll regret it, but you will need time to adjust from a car that can / wants to be thrown around to a car that wants to be driven with a bit more precision and dare I say it, respect.

Good luck!

Tal

·
Official GTR.co.uk Photographer
2,671 Posts
What talski said is spot on , just with the 32 you have to be a little more respectful with the fact it has a slightly slower responding awd system than the 33 and 34 .

Put it this way never once have i ever experienced under steer in my 32 so they do take more prescision driving than permenant 4wd systems but once you get used to how they react they then become very rewarding especially once you start to really get moving .

As you have driven evos plus an s13 and 14 that should give you a quicker connection with the 32 ......better prepared for a little tail end action then some power to the front wheels to pull you straight asuming you got the steering wheel facing were you need to go lol.

Plus there are a few devices about that gives you some control of the awd system so you can make it more to your liking like whats sold in the shop on here to do with a member here that you probably already heard of .... r32combat ?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I used to have a 460bhp/460lbft evo 8, and it was a completely different kettle of fish, power delivery was vicious and a lot sharper round the corners. The R32 feels a bit clumsier, but, the noise it makes puts a massive grin on my face every time haha :smokin:
When are you looking to buy btw? I might be tempted to part with mine as the mrs wants to go back to us having 1 car, so thinking of going evo 9/10 for daily use

·
Registered
25,945 Posts
it does depend on what you using the car for

as a 1 car policy / every day car, been there done that on both evos and 32s for many years.

the evo is far more practical for an everday car, (obviously all weathers too).

32 is a great GT-R (providing its the right one) and drive really nice (imo, better than the other models)

however....it will depend on how you wish to use the car.

if its a weekend/track thing, thats cool, but as an everday car, i think its impractical and takes the shine off of a very special car.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Concur with talski, had an evo 6 tme, great car and awesome, pointy handling, but much prefer my r32, much more of an occasion to drive, if slower down a tight b road.

·
Registered
25,945 Posts
Concur with talski, had an evo 6 tme, great car and awesome, pointy handling, but much prefer my r32, much more of an occasion to drive, if slower down a tight b road.

i agree (and would eco the comments on the TME, its really the only evo to have), however if you only have 1 car and are using the 32 daily (as i was at the time) it puts mega miles on it, and detracts from the "occasion" aspect of using it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hi bud,

I currently drive a 33 gtr but coming from a really well modified sw20 mr2 turbo the skyline just didn't feel right for me even tho it's been my dream car for 10 years plus..

We didn't get off to the best start to be fair, having just come off my 1 month honey moon I was on a high to come back and buy a gtr as my weekend toy. Straight away I started having problems with stalling plus high idle due to mafs and a polished inlet (sorted now) so that set me back a link g4 so I could delete the mafs..

Then as I'm sure you're aware skyline are long.. Annnnnd don't like dipped drive ways...
So I lost the front splitter after one of my planks snapped when pulling the car off my stupid drive..

But splitter repaired a lot of money later, lots of mods puting my own touches to her I couldn't see my self selling her ever. The way she delivers power (500hp) handles around corners.. Straight 6 twin turbo sounds great.

If I could give my car a number out of 10 it would be an 8.

There was a point in time when I wanted to sell mine due to the problems, what a mistake I would have mad!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
When i had my pulsar gtir 4wd sr20 turbo at 380bhp it was soo much fun and i could throw it about anywhere but with the r33 gtr it kind of demands a bit of respect and more open roads but when you do get to put your foot down its a different experience.

If i could afford to i would keep a evo 8/9 as 2nd car but hey ho instead i have a 1.6 civic

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
The 32 will handle very similarly to your old s14 round corners but on a straight will have the same traction as your evo.

It's kind if the best of both worlds; turn in like a rwd, straight line traction of a 4wd. For me I find 4wd boring through corners, unless it's a system like the gtr's.

Stage 1 GTR usually more like 350-375 bhp running safe boost on standard turbos and is quick enough, not much difference in weight to an evo 7-9 but the evo is more modern and stiff. 500 bhp is plenty and reliable too. Even a standard car is fun to drive but worth working out what you want in the long run.

Like for like with the same driver the evo might be quicker on track but won't be anything like as much fun to drive (if going sideways doesn't scare you).

There's a load of us going to brands hatch tomorrow, you'd me most welcome to come and join us and sample a few - should help to make your mind up:)

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
i agree (and would eco the comments on the TME, its really the only evo to have), however if you only have 1 car and are using the 32 daily (as i was at the time) it puts mega miles on it, and detracts from the "occasion" aspect of using it.
Yep Matty, it is a very occasional 2k miles a year car, I drive a little Fiesta as my daily!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I bought my 32 GT-R after having a RB'd S13. They actually feel very similar to drive although the R32 feels a bit heavier, has a noticeably better front end and a lot more traction.
I have driven an EVO 5 in the past and I would say that they're more idiot proof to drive than the R32 but if you think of the R32 as a RWD car with extra traction when you need it then you cant go wrong.

Cheers
Stu

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers for all the info/opinions, guys! I do miss how the S14a used to feel tbh. Would just have to get back into the habit of driving like a RWD, after being pampered by AYC for so many years haha!

Dave, you have PM!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
R32gtr + skylab fusion setup = sorted - better more responsive 4wd system (albeit still not permanent) and then the ability to turn it off for rwd mirth :p

i'm not far off getting my own R32gtr up and running on the road - hopefully only a few weeks away so i'm looking forward to it too :flame:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts