GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have recently had SVM fit the MPSS 275/305 tyres on my Sept 09 GTR.
I think the ride is dramatically better than the Dunlops and Bridgestone runflats.

However, I have a problem! When turning full lock, or anyway near it, the front wheels seem to get stuck, especially at low speeds. Is this normal?
No excessive wear is visible and I can't see any damaged wheel arch or anything.
Is there something I am missing? Should I have installed spacers? I am running stock alloys and suspension.

Any clues would be great along with any tried and tested method of getting a better look under the car without an inspection hole in the floor.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Sounds like a "characteristic" of the drivetrain to me.

Never had any issues with tyre rub.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys - at full lock and slow speeds (forward and reverse), the front wheels seem to be stuck to the point that the rear wheels start to skip/slip a little. I also notice it on tight corners at slightly higher speeds but the fronts don't stick but seem to 'click/chirp' and understeer a little. I never had this issue prior to the tyre change.

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Sounds like the centre diff lock that they altered with software on the 2011 onwards car.

I bet it was there before but you didn't pay as much attention.

It's possible that the tyre contact patch is a different shape due to different inflation and tyre construction and as a result you can feel the binding of the diff in the drivetrain whereas before the tyre may have dragged more easily and prevented the mechanical shunting.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I've noticed the diff lock-up at very low speeds much more recently than in the past. Maybe it's a combination of the surface where I park at work (only seem to notice it there and we've recently moved offices) and me not keep pressures up after the recent drop in temps.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SVM will collect my car in the next few days. I have been told that it could well be a 4WD controller issue! (AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!) It seems so severe that when I put some revs on to actually move, I fear that something is going to snap (like the diff!). We'll see...

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
^Shame to hear that, a certain amount of diff locking/shunt is normal. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is never more than 50% of the torque up front so breaking traction would surely always be at the rear not the front.

Even on damp roads I have only ever had the back end chirping a little

Is the 4WD controller a mechanical issue or is it programmable?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to Amar and the team at SVM, my problems are sorted. 4WD coupling changed for a 2nd hand one (AS NISSAN WON'T SELL IT SEPARATELY FROM A GEARBOX!!!!!)

Lesson learnt is to avoid drifting the GTR or simply having fun on ice!

·
Registered
25 Posts
There are quite a few very capable firms around the UK, so why does Nissan not sell the parts separately? I really can't think of a reason why they wouldn't

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hambroski, out of interest what did this cost?
Only ask as mines started doing a very similar thing on full lock at maneovering speeds.
PM me if you'd rather not put it on the open page.

Paul

1 - 20 of 43 Posts