GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those guys that have opted for MPSS rather than Dunlop/Bridgestone, what's the verdict on road noise? Now my GTR is a daily drive, motorways have become unbearable with that road noise and the drone from the y-pipe only makes it worse. Would appreciate if you guys can give me some feedback on this matter.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Never notice tyre noise before I changed to MPSS, but they are nice and quiet.

Silenced ypipe and downpipes works for me. Almost stock sound at idle and the DPs scream at higher revs and still no cats.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have MPSS with 275/305 and don't really notice much road noise at all. I'm surprised you find it unbearable at motorway speeds.

Spoke to Litchfield and apparently their own Y Pipe has a lot less drone than the Militek one.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I notice it a tad more than in did but I'm putting that down to my new exhaust being quieter at motorway speeds than the previos

·
Registered
941 Posts
Tyre noise is the least of my worries with my Akra exhaust lol
MPSS (high load versions) here and barely notice them. Car is going to PWPro in a couple of weeks to be dynamat'ed to hopefully make the exhaust less intrusive.
I have however found that cruising at 89mph the exhaust is in the sweet spot and really quite quiet...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mainly motorway that's seem loud. The new sections of the motorway are ok, smooth tarmac but the old surfaces are horrendous (majority of the motorway), all you get is loud/quiet/loud/quiet
More concerned about my 2 young children in the rear seats.
Just ordered MPSS this morning, but the fronts are out of stock, :bawling:

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Mainly motorway that's seem loud. The new sections of the motorway are ok, smooth tarmac but the old surfaces are horrendous (majority of the motorway), all you get is loud/quiet/loud/quiet
Camskill and ATS have MPSS 275 or 285 in stock :) Just ordered a set from ATS myself to keep in the garage as every pair comes with a £50 fuel card.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I think that's just a factor of terrible road surface + 20" wheels + wide tyres + very little sound deadening.
I don't know what your two kids are like, but my 3 year old son managed to fall asleep in the back of mine going over to visit his gran via some bumpy B roads. So even with the road & exhaust noise a trip in the car sends him to sleep lol

·
Premium Member
5,040 Posts
One of the MPSS's many advantages over the runflats is a DRAMATIC lowering of tyre noise.

They are also much quieter than the Toyo R888s that have a distinct whine generated by the large treadblocks.
Check out the noise on this hooligan's car; that's nearly all R888 whine.

;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have gone from dunlops to mpss 275/305 about 2 months ago and they seem a lot quieter and overtaking is far better over the white lines!! so for me so far :thumbsup: try svm I got them from them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have just had a new set of wheels and tyres fitted by Projex design on here on friday , I went for the MPSS 305/275 and although they are quieter than the Potenza's on my standard wheels , I don't like them , for my driving style they just move about too much , its no where near as firm on the road with the originals , and I find accelerating hard it kicks the traction control off more.

So these are coming off and i'm changing them , if anyone wants a set of tyres that have only done about 200 miles , i'm looking for a grand for them

Cheers Ian

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I have just had a new set of wheels and tyres fitted by Projex design on here on friday , I went for the MPSS 305/275 and although they are quieter than the Potenza's on my standard wheels , I don't like them , for my driving style they just move about too much , its no where near as firm on the road with the originals , and I find accelerating hard it kicks the traction control off more.

So these are coming off and i'm changing them , if anyone wants a set of tyres that have only done about 200 miles , i'm looking for a grand for them

Cheers Ian
Ian, is it the structure of the tyre that you dont like? I have the squared setup and for the road its, but for the track I want a progressive setup 275/305 - but more than likely in the r888s

I am starting to notice that the TC kicks in quite hard when in normal mode, but in Race its fine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you're concerned about tyre roar the mpss will certainly help but dynamatting the area under your rear seats and rear 3/4 panels will an even bigger difference. Also, if you're worried about the TC light flashing, switch it off :p

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Ian, pump em up and have a play with higher pressures. I felt exactly the same when I switched to the MPSS. Mine are now at 34 psi and far more settled. Not as sharp and precise as the RFTs but better than when I first got them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts