GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shortly I will be replacing my tyres and I can see a lot of you guys switch to the Michelin Pilot super sports and just wondered why? I'm currently running the dunlops which came with the car and they seem pretty good!

I'm no tyre expert so just wanted your opinions please, and also why people suggest going from the standard setup to 275/305!

Thanks,

Jon :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
I had 1 set of dunlops that came with my car back in 2009 then switched to bridgies. Ran those on road and track until I put on the MPSS this time last year.

Overall the RFs provide superior feeling and steering as the MPSS feel bouncy and a bit vague. However the wet road handling is night and day difference. For me given the small propensity for a little rain here in the UK I'd struggle to go back to the RFs now.

Btw I run 285 square.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
My car had bridge stones on it at first and they were ok, but not great in the wet. I always had the car in comfort mode.

With the MPSS the ride quality is very much improved, you do need to tweet the tyre pressures at first. And the performance in the wet is a huge improvement

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Much of the reason most owners change to MPSS is simply down to price, IMO.

I've tried all 3 common options, Dunlop, Bridgestone and MPSS, and prefer the Bridgestones. Most people though say the MPSS are far better in the wet, but I can only speak as I find, and that wasn't the case for me.

People use over sized MPSS to compensate for the lack of sidewall rigidity that the RF's have i.e. standard size MPSS are prone to understeer.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've run Dunlop's for the last 5 years. The ride is pretty firm and there's quite a lot of road noise unless the surface is very smooth but I've got used to both. My only concern is that the tyres do struggle in the wet when they are 70% worn particularly if you wear the inner edges on track days.

The Dunlop's are now available at c.£1,200 on the internet which is much closer to the alternatives.

·
Premium Member
5,889 Posts
I had 1 set of dunlops that came with my car back in 2009 then switched to bridgies. Ran those on road and track until I put on the MPSS this time last year.

Overall the RFs provide superior feeling and steering as the MPSS feel bouncy and a bit vague. However the wet road handling is night and day difference. For me given the small propensity for a little rain here in the UK I'd struggle to go back to the RFs now.

Btw I run 285 square.
+1 I've only had the Bridgestones and Mpss, and I agree with the above, best psi on mpss ive found for me cold is 34.. removes enough of the bounce, and retains the extra impact resistance over the pot holes.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
MPSS are the best all round tyre for the R35. I have had all 4, MPSS, Bridge, Dunlop and Toyo. Each do their things well but the MPSS does everything well with the right setup. IMO

·
Banned
51 Posts
I've recently switched to the larger MPSS setup (from Dunlop RF's) and definitely prefer the comfort and wet handling of the Michelins. I have seen the pitching issue with the new tyres, but adding some extra PSI'smseems to have improved this considerably :)

·
Premium Member
5,889 Posts
MPSS are the best all round tyre for the R35. I have had all 4, MPSS, Bridge, Dunlop and Toyo. Each do their things well but the MPSS does everything well with the right setup. IMO
So is it worth getting the Toyo R888/or another tyre for summer, or just keep the MPSS on?

thanks

·
Registered
941 Posts
This is a great thread, surprised it's not come up before?! ;)

I've had MPSS on mine since I've had it (dealer said it needed 2x new run flats or if I preferred I could have all 4 replaced with MPSS). Went for MPSS due to most people saying it improves everyday driving comfort so went for 4 new tyres. They're wearing really good too.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I'm currently on stock size MPSS. Much better, running 36psi cold as I prefer the turn in with that.

I've booked to change to 285/295 on 15th March.

·
Premium Member
5,889 Posts
I'm currently on stock size MPSS. Much better, running 36psi cold as I prefer the turn in with that.

I've booked to change to 285/295 on 15th March.
change why? mpss or 888? I tempted to try 888 for the summer, not sure yet

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
change why? mpss or 888? I tempted to try 888 for the summer, not sure yet
I want to try out different sizes and I've read that 285/295 is a good setup, so I'm tempted to give it a go. Will be staying with MPSS.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Didnt think you could get the xl rating in those?
You can indeed, Mr Jones.
"295/35ZR20 105Y MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 2 N0 XL" £306 each from Event Mobile

1 - 20 of 43 Posts