GTR Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
What about designing a plenum from just after the intercooler with 6 individual pipes equal length to the 6 throttle bodies? That seems the most logical design as all the air will travel the same distance and it will be more even air distribution across all 6. i know it would be hard to do. But let's say for arguments sake it's possible will this be the most efficient way?

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,872 Posts
What about designing a plenum from just after the intercooler with 6 individual pipes equal length to the 6 throttle bodies? That seems the most logical design as all the air will travel the same distance and it will be more even air distribution across all 6. i know it would be hard to do. But let's say for arguments sake it's possible will this be the most efficient way?
If you did that, there would be no plenum.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Yes your right. No plenum, wrong use of the word lol. But could it work? Be better and more efficient to connect 6 pipes directly to the throttle bodies with equal lengths. No crazy angles for the air to turn, no air rushing to the back of the plenum and running number 6 too hot? Just seems like the logical thing to do to me. Although fabrication will be a bugger in getting the pipes all the same length and fitted in the space.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yes your right. No plenum, wrong use of the word lol. But could it work? Be better and more efficient to connect 6 pipes directly to the throttle bodies with equal lengths. No crazy angles for the air to turn, no air rushing to the back of the plenum and running number 6 too hot? Just seems like the logical thing to do to me. Although fabrication will be a bugger in getting the pipes all the same length and fitted in the space.
Not really logical, you still need to make sure that the flow is evenly distributed. Plus losses through a maze of smaller pipes would create higher pressure drop.

·
Registered
397 Posts
For me the perfect solution would be diffuser Plenum that is bolted to ITB-s with velocity stacks. Diffuser will help to distribute the flow evenly. Havent seen any of our cars using this:

Picture of a friends dry-sumped Audi S6 (AAN) engine

Turbo Plenum : Turbo Plenum sm 70mm inlet - Jenvey Dynamics

Not really logical, you still need to make sure that the flow is evenly distributed. Plus losses through a maze of smaller pipes would create higher pressure drop.

·
Registered
397 Posts
It is made 2008 and car is sold as parts after that. It made 845hp at 1.7 bar with custom holset turbo. This manifold is now owned by other form member.

But that type of desing is proven in LeMans and in B-group rally cars and WRC-s.

This intake manifold is recognized by the forward facing throttle body which works perfectly with a front mounted intercooler. This manifold also have built in mounting points for single or double injectors as well as mounting points for the fuel rail. Its also characterized by its large 2nd plenum which sits over the primary plenum underneath. The primary lower plenum with connects to the throttlebody is gradually tapered like a cone with a continuous single vent slot that allows gas to pass into the 2nd plenum. The 2nd plenum acts as a collector which then feeds the runners to the head. Pressure in the 2nd plenum is equallized since its not effected by gas velocity and inertia or the pressure variation from front to back of the 1st plenum. Since flow equals velocity times area. The reduction in flow which is released through the side slot is equal to the reduction in area of the plenum assuming velocity is constant. So a smooth conical taper with establish equal pressure and air distribution into the 2nd plenum.

Audi S1

Audi IMSA engine

Skoda WRC

Audi Le Mans prototype

Photo Album

81 - 90 of 90 Posts