GTR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ooo Matron !
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
No mention of Nissan:

BBC News - Car firms sued over CD-copying entertainment systems

But I don't understand why they think they should be paid royalties. If you buy a CD then it's yours. So you're paid for it once, why do they think you should pay again ?

I am also a bit odd in that I never download music - I always buy the CD. I rip it to my PC, phone, GTR's music box, as I always want the actual CD in my hand.

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Just because they are suing doesn't mean they have a good case - especially when it's a class action.

Pretty sure copyright law allows you to make back ups of your own music. In addition, the car manufacturers would not be the infringers, it would be the end users who aren't easily sued, so they'll be trying to get them on contributory infringement (enabling/inviting others to infringe). Even against the system manufacturer themselves -clarion etc- that would be hard enough. It was tried years ago against Amstrad when the tape to tape recorder came out and it failed then too.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Prs jokers had them on my case all the time when I had pubs.

Hated the fact I said I played music for me to listen to not staff or customers and if they overheard it it was out of my control.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Just because they are suing doesn't mean they have a good case - especially when it's a class action.

Pretty sure copyright law allows you to make back ups of your own music. In addition, the car manufacturers would not be the infringers, it would be the end users who aren't easily sued, so they'll be trying to get them on contributory infringement (enabling/inviting others to infringe). Even against the system manufacturer themselves -clarion etc- that would be hard enough. It was tried years ago against Amsterdam when the tape to tape recorder came out and it failed then too.
Amsterdam made me laugh!

I'm sure even Lord SurAllen His Highness Sugar would smile. ..

·
Ooo Matron !
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Same as PRS in the UK, bunch of chancers
They wrote to me about 2 years ago with a load of pony about needing a music licence (I own a limited company but I'm the only employee, and I work mainly from home). I ignored that and then they rang me up. As soon as I said it was a company of one they did give up. Private Eye had an article about them at about the same time saying how there were trying it on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts