GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had a chance to look round the new MY14 GTR I have come to say there are some nice new refinements that add quite a bit to the car!

The new day light running lights, personally I can not see the point in keeping the old ones as well as the new units in the headlights, improved bi-xenon main lights and the led rear clusters look so much better than the original units, just hope they have fixed the problem with lens fogging!
The interior seems better put together in general, cant say that I personally like the new trim colours though!

I can however now see where Nissan are going with the base line GTR.

The hints are all there in the new interior colours, the refinement of the interior trims, improved suspension and after talking to the sales guy about the car its clear the Nissan GTR will be marketed from now on as a grand tourer..

Just looking at the interior colours it is clear to see that Nissan are targeting the M series and Audi drivers! The new colours could almost be aimed directly at them!

This was lent credence while I was in the show room when a guy driving an M asked for his new GTR with ivory interior.

I believe any future changes will be to refine the ride and aesthetics of the car, wonder if we will see brushed aluminium accents or marquetry in future upgrades, and will not centre around the engine. Nismo have dibs on that!

For those buying a new car and wanting the "R" in GTR the old option of modifying or the Nismo will be there for you!

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
The MY14 is just a MY13 with improvements to make it more usable in real life / on the road. In My opinion. :)
They haven't made it slower in the quest to make it a GT car.

I agree on the fancy interiors though, but they are an optional extra.
Standard Recaro and premium black are still available for free, the premium red or ivory interiors are a £3,500 extra!

Agree the Nismo has allowed them to refine it a little, so you could say a bit more GT than hardcore R.
But then how many people use the car mainly (or only) on the road and compain about the ride quality? :)

As per my thread here:

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/232538-my14-gt-r-impressions.html

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Got to love that interior on the long wheelbase A8!

They have heated, cooled and massaging front and rear seats, all fully electrically adjustable.

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
I quite like the ivory on its own, but not the way they'be covered the centre console.

Unfortunately it doesn't go with the rest of the car.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Progress MUST be made on Ride quality and tyre/road noise intrusion , I could not drive the GTR as a "Daily Driver" it just gave me a headache.

The changes ( I have yet to drive the new model ) should be an improvement.
The performance has not been "Diminished" at all.
Just my 2P:)

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could you make the first picture a bit bigger, I can't quite see it.
I tried to make it as big as possible for all those that have the following problem!

I can make them bigger if you require!!! :chuckle:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Progress MUST be made on Ride quality and tyre/road noise intrusion , I could not drive the GTR as a "Daily Driver" it just gave me a headache.
Mine is a daily driver and is great … although I do have Litchfield suspension and MPSS.

·
Premium Member
5,870 Posts
Got to love that interior on the long wheelbase A8!

They have heated, cooled and massaging front and rear seats, all fully electrically adjustable.
wow they have made the new gtr all pansy! nice

Mine is a daily driver and is great ***8230; although I do have Litchfield suspension and MPSS.
I use mine as a daily, and with the mpss cold 34psi its fine, even better in comfort mode if you have the family in the car etc

my old evo had x3 more rattly suspension, compared to the R35

·
Registered
734 Posts
Nissan GT-R 2014 review, price and specs | evo

What’s it like to drive?

With the suspension in its default Sport mode, there is indeed a touch more pliancy to the ride. The harder edges have been softened and you no longer make a lunge for the ‘Comfort’ setting after driving over a catseye for the first time. There’s no noticeable effect, negative or positive, on roll control during our drive, and the car contains pitch and yaw just as well as it ever has. We’ll make a final judgment on this when we drive the car in the UK (this first drive is from Sodegaura-shi in Japan), but first impressions relating to the revised suspension settings are good. Very good.

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
That Audi "Orange" is Shite !!!!!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Talking of pansies, I find it really strange how most owners want softer suspension on what's supposed to be a beast of a car.

I find it's still too soft on RF's in Race mode. For comparison, my mate's 360 is far firmer, giving a really pleasurable raw driving feel.

Soft = boring and normal. What's wrong with everyone.. is it an age thing? :)

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Soft or hard is an antiquated way of understanding suspension.

It's controlled or not.

What you want is critical damping which is the combination of valuing and spring rate that brings the wheel to rest on contact with the road surface as soon as possible. It varies dependent on vehicle weight unsparing mass, mechanical design, roll bar usage and thickness, damper construction etc.

Perfect suspension can be incredibly comfortable. Try driving an mp4 before determining that it needs to be hard to be good.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
I have to agree with Adam.

Hard suspension may be good for a race car on a smooth track, but what you need is compliance and maximum contact with the road.

A lot of "sporty" cars are just rock hard.
It doesn't need to be like that.

UK roads, broken tarmac and potholes/manhole covers... I'd rather have compliance and sensible balanced suspension.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Exactly what Richard and Adam say, I've a Lotus and the ride is sublime in a car that weighs less than the plastic bag it's made out of.
It also has 'high' profile tyres compared to the GT-R - try watch F1 high-speed camera going over the curbs to see where the take up is - the tyre wall.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Talking of pansies, I find it really strange how most owners want softer suspension on what's supposed to be a beast of a car.

It could be a Spine thing for some of use, not everyone track drives there cars, or exceeds the speed limit by 30 MPH all day long. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts

I find it's still too soft on RF's in Race mode. For comparison, my mate's 360 is far firmer, giving a really pleasurable raw driving feel.

I've driven lots of 360s and bar the Challenge Stradale in its firmest setting, the pre-MY11 GT-Rs are all much firmer and critically, harsher.

In fact Ferrari are the best example of a company that understands damping. All their cars are incredibly comfortable riding for the handling they have.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I've never driven a pre 11 GT-R, sounds like it would have suited me better tho.

I found the 360 a much more involving ride, not just a little bit. A real sense of occasion compared to my gtr. The gtr wins in every aspect of performance, but after driving the raw 360 then getting back into the gtr, well, it felt like a transit van for a while. Still wouldn't swap it tho, just wish it was more raw and not so damned boringly comfortable :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts