GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I bought this car in July of 2012. During that time until now I have done couple of bits and pieces to my car, all the while taking pictures when possible.

As my confidence in my mechanical and DIY skills has grown, so has the lack of need to take my car to my nearest garage every time I need something done. Attempting stuff on my own, I get to take pics and best of all I get to learn a hell of a lot.

My collection of tools are slowly growing and my spec list and "nice to have's" are growing also :rolleyes:

These are a collection of pictures which I have taken over the last few months during various works carried out...nothing too major yet.

So, without rambling on too much...this what the spec as advertised from Harlow Jap:

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/183985-my-new-r33-gtr.html

I got a bit carried away taking pics when I first picked up the car :chuckle:

Was a bit wierd to be looking out the window to see two R33's....the white gtst was up for sale and got sold about 1 month after I bought the GTR:

Outside Ron's place when I took it there to sort out a few issues:

PFC Unstable Idle
Fitting a new front number plate
New battery
Boost pipe loose

Decided to raise my BC Coilovers a little bit as the car was way too low for London roads:

At some point, I need to replace the rusting rear upper arms:

Resealed the passenger side tail lights as it was letting in a serious amount of water!

Neighbor's kids keeping me company sometimes and always with lots of questions :chuckle:

Couple of underside shots while at Ron's getting new CV boots done:

New Toyo T1R 275/35 R18 tyres for the rear :clap:

New standard sized brake discs for the rear:

New Japspeed Silenced Decat for the Blitz Nur Spec R:

Ace Cafe Meet:

Decided to swap my Blitz exhaust with an Invidia RSR system from another user on the forum:

A sunny day :chuckle: :GrowUp:

Strut tops starting to bubble! :(

New LEDs and D1-spec quick release fitted with a Mountney 350mm wheel:

Some parts arrived for my timing belt/rad/water pump change :popcorn:

Japspeed rad

Teng 420NM Torque Wrench

N1 Water Pump from USA

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Defo the way to do it, save yourself from the Skyline tax and getting raped financially :)

your neighbours kids seem to be behaving themselves lol unlike today they were like possessed lol

Great work and effort and when things take shape you can be proud of your achievements!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
its always good to see someone attempting to do things on their own. i also try it myself as much as i can but of course there are things i cannot do due to lack of skills. if minor works can be done by yourself and save extra £££s, why not? its the process of learning. good luck bud :bowdown1:

subscribed! :)

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys!

I will update this section as often as I can ;)

Younes, really appreciate your help today mate and the relief I felt when we managed to undo the crank pulley bolt...well indescribable lol ....pictures of today's work to follow...

those kids can be a nightmare sometimes, but there are occasions when they are calm and relaxed :chuckle:

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
No worries mate glad you got to the stage where it's a case if fitting the new bits on :)

Crank bolt was fun though but we got there in the end!!

My head is still spinning from the army of kids.. All 6 of them :runaway:

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So today an attempt was made to strip the engine bay down in preparation for the new rad, water pump and belt kit:

Removed the plugs to do a compression test:

Result looked good -

Cylinder (compression value) -> 1 (148), 2 (152), 3 (151), 4 (153), 5 (151), 6 (151)

Continued with the strip down:

Managed to undo all the small belts without too much issue:

I probably was being a bit blind and couldn't locate the coolant bleed screw, so I just yanked the bottom hose out...and got a bit wet in the process lol

LOL :chuckle:

I was a bit nervous as to the accuracy of the spec list...so opened up the cam cover and was relieved to find Tomei cam gears and Tomei cam belt!

The belt teeth looked in good shape and this belt could still have been used for a bit longer...my choice to change it was purely due to limited previous service history...

Heavily rusted spring on the tensioner pulley

We called it a day and covered it all up...I am still waiting for loctite threadlocker for the crank bolt and RTV sealant for the water pump.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rusted tensioner pulley and spring - This is most likely due to the bonnet vent right above the cam cover! I seriously have to cover it up or replace the darn bonnet...

All parts gathered and ready for a thorough cleanup

Old N1 water pump - looks to be in good shape still

I was going to keep my current crank pulley, but upon removal it turned out there was a small crack on it as per pic below - looks like I will be getting myself a Ross Tuffbond damper from Raw Brokerage

The outcome of today has resulted in these decisions:

Will get a Roff Tuffbond damper ordered asap
As soon as the oem thermostat, loctite, rtv sealant arrives I will commence the refitting process.......with the help of Younes if he is free - thanks matey! ;)

I was going to undo the turbos as well at this point, but I will put that off for a little later as I need to purchase a few more quality tools and funds are running low for this month :)

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tried to remove the turbos today once the rain stopped. I managed to get to the point of removing the pipework on the top before my I started ripping skin off my hand and I called it a day.... dammit!! next try tomorrow!

uploadfromtaptalk1400960750253.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1400960762861.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1400960778145.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1400960793674.jpg

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol... well almost ...Nielsen 94 piece kit ;) Its a 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch all in one plus hex socket set ...

it's getting darker also and tomorrow weather should be better so hopefully I can finish the lot then!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks Chris! :) if I had a drive atleast would be much easier for sure.

it's taken me a while to be confident enough to attack the engine so I'm getting there slowly. plan is to remove my gtss turbos and replace it with a set of -5s.

ordered myself a fluidampr and oem thermostat from USA so waiting for those to arrive and once they do I will refit the water pump / timing kit assembly and get that out of the way... :)

1 - 20 of 201 Posts