GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now researching to write a book, charting and documenting the history and background of the R32, 33 and 34 model Skylines, as a guide for the potential owner and as an atleast partial explanation of why the Skyline is so special. It will not just be GT-R's but all the lower models too (although information on them seems limited as generally anything without a turbo doesnt get mentioned on the web).

Before embark on the writing journey, I want to be sure that no-one here is doing, or knows of someone else that is doing this. The only Skyline books I've seen have been in Japanese, so I'm hoping this will be one of the first written in english.

I'll be asking a lot of the forums over the coming months (years lol) in the process of writing as I want to get a lot of peoples opinions of the Skyline in general, why its achieved such status when "similar" cars like the Impreza and Lancers just dont have this mystery "X" factor. I know why I have an unnatural skyline obsession - but I'd like to find out about everyone elses too!

I'll also be PM'ing quite a few of you over the next few months to see if its ok for me to use photos of your cars in the book. For anyone that didnt read my ideas on the other thread about books, I want to also cover the special models from Nismo, Mines etc

If anyone has any suggestions as to the general level of content they would like to see in this book then please do reply to this, or PM me. At some time or another though, I will try to seek EVERYONE's opinions!

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah, thats a good reference too, I want to go into greater detail on each sub-model though, GTS-t Type M, GTS25 etc to give people an insight into the lesser known models as well as the big boy versions.

I'd like the book to be similiar to one I have for the Porsche 924/944/968 models, the author of which escapes me at the moment, but I firmly believe the Skyline needs a good hardback reference book covering the whole Skyline experience...

Maybe a little to ambitious for me to achieve, but I have to atleast try.

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I would be prepared to help out if you want anything researched or written up...

all good fun by the sound of it. And it would give us a good idea of which mods when etc...

Let me know if you'd like a hand with anything, even if it is just to bounce ideas about.

I am not a technical author, nor am I in the motor trade so value there would be limited..

have fun.
Steve

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve,

Thats excellent - many thanks for your offer! The first thing I'd like to get your feedback on in a few days time is the suggested chapters and loose descriptions of the contents of each...

Thanks for the feedback guys :D

Dan

S

·
0 Posts
HEY HEY HEY

Let me be the first to say ;

'BOOK EM DANOH' !!!!!

Oh yeah!

LMAO!!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol .. cheers senna :D

I take it you found yourself a GT-R then!?

S

·
0 Posts
Yep

Sure did Dan!

Its great R33 GT-R with some goodies, very fast and naughty - currently terrorising the local area:)

Yours got delayed again mate? :(

Good luck with the book by the way, an excellent idea!

Glen

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,604 Posts
Dan0h,
What a great idea!:cool:

Maybe an idea to get the help of a person who can read
japanese to go through current published books.

Obviously a 'cut and paste' wouldn't be allowed, but
there must be every Skyline detail already in print,
albeit japannese.

I have been collecting odds and sods of information
for 5 years now, and know quite alot about their UK history.
I'll see if anyting could help when you have
decided what you are going to do.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stormuk: Are you aiming to do "exactly" the same thing as me - but for the web?

senna: Good on ya! Tear up that local tarmac hehe, my car should have left in four days time, but the transporter has been dry-docked, but its finally booked out for the 4th of Next month! yay! :D

Scott: Damn good idea, the information has to be out there - just a matter of getting it into english I suppose...

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
905 Posts
Nice one Dan, I wish it well.

BUT

I'll be sh!t out of luck getting a pic of mine in though a, when you got the same bloody car!!!!;) :D

Si

·
Registered
592 Posts
Dan - Not sure yet

Initially I was going to do just data on none gtr's for the rest of us then fell in love with the 2000 and decided that there wasn’t enough out there about the old cars so started with that.

Then again Im not a fast mover and too much of a perfectionist so I’ve spent around 2-3 weeks playing with just the look. Which I’m happy with now so I suppose Ill now add content :) - although still not sure how to do the links to the cars - thinking of a flash timeline type thing.

When the skylines done I might then move onto other Jap cars as I got a web address that doesn’t scream skyline for that purpose

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Draxx: your car is a lot cleaner than mine is going to be (I'll put money on it!) so you may well end up being the photographic model for the R32 GTS4! (if thats ok) :D

stormuk: Ahhh ok, just making sure we're not both doing exactly the same thing as each other but just one on paper - one on the web!

I'm only aiming for a loose coverage of the pre-R32 models - as much as I love the older cars (esp. the KPGC10 and the C110's) the majority of potential buyers and fans in the UK seem to go for the R32's and onwards... My own personal reason for this choice - the R32 GT-R was the car that made me sit up and pay attention to the Japanese Auto makers, prior to that I was very much Anti-Japanese cars.

It could well be handy for both of us if we could work on a research colaboration dont you think? ;)

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Excellent stuff! :D

My first stop is to look in depth at the R32's, as I mentioned above, trying to get information on the lesser models is really difficult... But I've not put much time into that yet so it may not prove to be that complex.

Over the next week I'll be writing my basic outline and strategy so I know where I want to go with the book, and what I need to do in what order to make it happen...

I pretty much love all the Jap motors now, but it wasnt until I saw my first Black R32 GT-R that I realised I needed to look at Japanese cars a LOT more! :) :D

S

·
0 Posts
dan0h said:
it wasnt until I saw my first Black R32 GT-R that I realised I needed to look at Japanese cars a LOT more! :) :D
Shhh there Dan, dont tell everyone - they'll all want one...

Leave em to their Micras and Corollas hehe ;)

I used to love the reaction my 300zxTT got - had a full on Veilside kit and 18 inch Kosei Snipers - no Nissan badges and people just used to look at gorp and say thru dribbles
'what is it?'

Just used to tell em it was some old Nissan and they are like - 'Nissan dont build cars like that!!'

With the Skyline its the GT3 generation and Bikers that show respect

But I dont get the mad looks as I did with the Zed - but I love it when someone just looks and smiles - the smile says it all.. that smile says 'Yeah GT-R - nice one'

Perfect!

Glen

·
Registered
905 Posts
No Problem Dan, anything I can help u with just let me know mate, o and dont forget when you get to R33s the missis has the 4 door 2.0 NA Too!!!! That too is in dead good condition, and Im sure she will help you out too.

Got a good digi cam anyway so I can take some nice shots for you!!:D :D

SI

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Senna: Nicely put! I am hoping to write a little bit of how I personally feel Polyphony Digitals Gran Turismo series opened a lot of young eyes in the UK - regardless of its realism it showed an awful lot of teenagers what cars the Japanese have to be proud of... I think the effect that series of games has had on the UK and the USA attitude towards the Skyline is quite surprising, I know my first realistion that there were Skylines other than the GT-R came from GT2...

Draxx: Many thanks dude! I'm going to need both of your cars hehe .. hopefully Elvira wont mind eh? I'll maybe plot a trip up your neck of the woods once mine has arrived all well and good... Thank ya :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Dan, check out the JB skyline site in the links area of this website, it lets you know some of the history behind the cars.
If you plan a trip to this neck of the woods let me know, maybe you could come the the Derby meet.
Mike

1 - 20 of 27 Posts