GTR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi fellow GTR register members.
After months of spluttering around in my Gtr, I have got my car back. I am posting to let you know what was wrong and how it was fixed to try and help anyone else out who gets the same problems.
The major problem was that car seemed to accelerate ok and cruised at 60 mph in 4th ok but any faster and, after a bit it would start to hesitate and the dump valves would keep going off all of the time, and eventually it would struggle to accelerate with BIG flames coming out of the pipe. Exciting! A diagnostic check had given a poor signal from the oxygen sensors and no signal from the detonation sensors.
I have had metal inlet gaskets fitted but the mechanic only replaced the three small ones and not the big one that fitted on the head-http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=499&highlight=gasket. This was causing a big air leak, which was causing all of the sensors to give wrong readings. Anyway inlet off, passages cleaned up, gaskets on and all ok! The ignition timing was 1 degree out and the throttle sensor needing adjusting (very adjustable with the right equipment).
The next big one was problems changing gear and getting into reverse. Apparently there was a block of wood under the clutch pedal! I cannot remember ever seeing this but not there is more pedal movement. The system was also bled and is now better but still is not 100%. It looks like the clutch plates may be slightly warped but the gearbox does seem ok. Have to make decision on what to do with clutch (not the nismo one in for sale as my car is too old!).
Also there was a knocking noise from the left-hand side of the car but the nut and bolt holding the shocker on only needed tightening up.
The power steering was heavier than normal (I had not noticed). When I put the c.d. player and speakers in I looked for the amp in the boot and removed the box with the thin wires going into it. Wrong….Hicas computer….no 4 wheel steer..LOL…DOH. Won’t do that again!
So all in all nightmare car into sweet car with very little work.
The car now is very smooth and seems quicker and the steering is very light and responsive.
So thanks goes to Rod Bell (Email - [email protected] Tel. 07803 616948) in getting me in quick and fixing the car in a week. His attention to detail shows and I will be back again to get the car checked over on a regular basis. I would have no doubts in recommending him to any skyline owner. The plus for me was that he is not as busy as the other top experts in my area and therefore could fit me in quickly, so the car is off the road for less time.
Also thanks must go to the other experts who have got me where I am now with their advice in the last six months…Ian (Hiteq), Gary (GT-ART) and Mark and Tony (Abbey Motorsport).
I have got Motul oil for the car but I have not used it yet as the oils seem ok and I want to get used to the car in it present state first so that I can assess the difference when the oils are changed.
All I need now is a dyno run at the excellent Tuning Japanese.
See you all soon, Dave

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
GLAD TO SEE YOUR HAPPY

DAVE GLAD TO SEE YOU ARE HAPPY WITH YOUR CAR NOW

ALSO THE SERVICE THAT YOU AND YOUR CAR
RECEIVED FROM ROD BELL.

BEST OF LUCK WITH THE CLUTCH

KEITH.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Feel a bit like Stu now. Power seems to be in different place. Back end out today in 2nd gear in the dry many times so have enoyed myself. Steering is so much sharper, can really chuck the car around. Really feels like a new car. Taking mates for a spin again.
Gears are odd though, can get in into 5th gear if I am careful...so not sure what to do. Need to play a bit more in the car:D

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Your car sorted

Glad to hear Dave that you are happy with your car now.Isn't it amazing what a good mechanic can do with a car ?You take it to them,let them play with it for a while,give 'em loads of dosh,and them get back a 'new' car which induces mega grins ! Well worth it,but let's not tell them heh?
Good to see you were happy with your garage,ie RB Motorsport ,which I think is very important for ones car and peace of mind .

Your fifth gear sounds maybe like worn synchros which is a known
weakness on Skys !Does it do it when the gearbox is cold ,hot or both ? High speed changes ?
Changing the gearbox oil might help too !

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gearbox.

The gearbox does seem to almost be ok. Low rev and slow changes do seem fine but it is that big fifth cog again. Rod says it was the clutch and I would be stupid to argue (remember what an expert from down under said). We have to listen to what we are told and he says that other for drag starts I do not need an expensive clutch. but he was not out with me pulling off in 1st gear yesterday! The sensible option or the expensive. We will have to wait and see and some bigger injectors are tempting!
Dave

·
Registered
389 Posts
Sorted

That's great Dave , glad to see you managed to get it working right so soon, we'll have to meet up some time.
Garth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts