GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after less than a month driving my GTR after my perfect gearbox rebuilt, i was cruising today on 3rd gear, then i decided to shift to second gear to overtake a car, i down shifted , car accelerates like a missile, then 1 k before cutoff i hear a uninterupted sound like trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr coming from the engine, and some smoke going out of the engine, i look at the oil pressure and oil light in dash they are ok , i look in my rear view mirror and i see oil , i shift to neutral shut down the car and go to the side of the road to stop. i get down of the car open the engine from where smoke is going out, and i see all the oil under the car... at that point i was CONVINCED its an oil pipe that is broken, i called road service to get towed, go to the workshop, and... guess what............ broken cylinder block...... something seems to have broken on the crank, or piston or pushrods and made a big mess..the block is broken on both sides, i guess the broken part blew off left then right.. i was running on AP stage 2 97 version 2.0
the bad news:
- i got AP , Y pipe and 5zigen, car is already blacklisted and out of warranty :( :(
-new engine is 55,000 us$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!
-i'm really really pissed
-i hate nissan management!
-we don't know yet the extent of the damage inside the engine

the only good news:
unlike the GR6, nissan sells engine parts and not only complete assembly.. otherwise i would put fuel on the car and burn it in front of the nissan showroom

here is some pics, can anyone share any experience with the engine? any thoughts what could have happened? is there is any other cases with broken cylinders blocks???? i cant believe that the AP software upgrade could have blow off the engine.. these engines should support more than 70hp of upgraded power IMO

im in love with the gtr but i HATE nissan

·
Registered
290 Posts
Feel sorry for you. I am now convinced I shall leave my engine standard. The grief and cost does not support a 70hp gain IMHO....

You will have to load your pictures onto a site like photobucket and use that url to place them on the site.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Very sorry.

I don't know how to put photos up but it sounds like you've run a bearing. Be careful how the motor is stripped down, you will need some metallurgy on the broken bits of metal to determine what failed and how/why.

Depending on what happened, and irrespective of the warranty, you would have a claim ("statutory rights", tort) in the event of a defect in manufacture, parts or design.

If the car is well mapped then an extra 100bhp is not going to make a material difference to the loads on the internal oily bits :mad:

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
From where are you??

European car??

If so,you get a new engine for free in the next days....as Nissan had problems with the bearings and this is maybe the reason for your broken conrod(or whatever broke) :wavey:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
surely its warranty anyway an engine should not let go like that i would contact nissan before doing anything else they may want to inspect themselves

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is everyones worst nightmare !!!! Best of luck getting it sorted mate !!! I'm gutted for ya !!!! It does go to prove how much a decent warranty is worth, and shows how much a relatively small increase in BHP can ultimately cost you.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Nightmare!!! Sorry to hear that dhayek!!

I was all set to go down the "Sod the warranty and gimme more horsepower" route, but now I ain't so sure.

On the bright side JUN are soon to have a 4.0L conversion block on the market. This could be an opportunity................ lol!!

Hope Nissan can help you out.

Trav

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sorry about the engine. It's hard to see where that hole is, but it looks a lot like a rod has let go.

If it is a rod, the most likely cause is over-reving. Does your AP map raise the rev limit at all? If so Nissan will no way pay for the engine without a big fight.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry about the engine. It's hard to see where that hole is, but it looks a lot like a rod has let go.

If it is a rod, the most likely cause is over-reving. Does your AP map raise the rev limit at all? If so Nissan will no way pay for the engine without a big fight.
i am using standard AP maps. and when it happened i the gearbox switch on the dashboard wasnt set to R, meaning it changes gears alone . and anyway, the car has a cutoff at 7krpm

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
has the car been driven very very hard? ie abused? lots of launches use LC, lots of redline, any overboost?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
has the car been driven very very hard? ie abused? lots of launches use LC, lots of redline, any overboost?
never launched the car, never tracked the car, but i drive the car the way its meant to be driven, and i drive fast, and know how to drive, dont abuse the car at all.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
it really sounds like your USDM gtr is suffering from a similar problem that's causing a large recall of european cars... could it be just a LHD problem?

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
never launched the car, never tracked the car, but i drive the car the way its meant to be driven, and i drive fast, and know how to drive, dont abuse the car at all.
Great quote. That is how supercars are supposed to be driven. Not polished and sat in a showroom gathering dust:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts