GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've had a few members ask me about the progress on my rb26/30 build for my R32GTR on skylinesaustralia.com & gtr.co.uk so i thought i'd add this thread (i apologise if you already seen this on sau).
The car was collecting dust for over 6 months & now ive ressurected my GODZILLA with almost 1000km on the clock.

Here are my specs:

nissan rb30 block
RB26 with extensive head porting
match ported exhaust manifolds
Garrett low mount -10's (combined rating @ 920hp)
RIPS custom sump
RIPS diff adapter plate
RIPS oil pick up
RIPS inspired modified catch can (return to sump)
JUN crank collar
ACL race bearing set
Cometic head gasket
Mahle piston & ring set
Argo rods
Camtech/Kelford billet cams
Performance valve springs
ARP main/head studs
N1 oil/water pump
HKS intercooler
Sard fpr
Bosch 044 lift pump with 2 external Bosch 044's & surge tank
PFI dual entry fuel rail (to accommodate larger 14mm entry injectors)
Delphi Rochester 1000cc injectors
Ross Metal Jacket harmonic balancer
OS Giken cam gears
Jim Berry 4000lbs single plate race clutch (the twin & triple plate was doing my head in)
Nismo engine/gearbox mount kit (good timing whilst the engine was out)
Blue silicone heater/intercooler/radiator hose kit (good timing whilst the engine was out)
52mm dual core alloy radiator
Power FC

My run-in tune results came to 270.9awkw @ 6500rpm on 10psi (cams are still set @ 0). My goal was to crack over 400awkw with strong midrange delivery, after i do my run-in km's with higher rev limit, boost & set cams im sure this will be achievable

Rob @ RIPS was a great help, he said that he almost ran out of memory on his pc from my emails :)

If you have any q's im more than happy to answer them & help as much as i can.

regards,
Marko.
p.s. how do i attach my dyno graph to this thread?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice, what are the specs of the cams you're using out of interest :)
i am using camtech cams from here in australia, they are rebranded kelford cams which are made in new zealand (has the kelford stamp on it), they are 280degree with 10.5mm lift

the cams are still set at 0degrees & it sounds very lumpy...cant wait for final tune, i like it when the car rumbles & rocks :D

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it drives very well - rev limit is set @ 5000rpm so its kinda like driving a truck where i need to change gears very quickly.

even on 10psi it starts to spool quite hard around 3000+rpm & the extra 400cc has really made the world of difference.

i had -10's (hks gtrs setup) on my previous rb26 & that was painful IMO, boost took too long (not with the rb30 though :))

my engine builder thinks i can get final tune done @ 1500km, my tuner wants me to wait till i get to 5000km (im getting it done @ 1500km, its killing me)

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Awesome :D Thats what I'd hoped to hear about them on the 30, that extra 400cc makes a lot more difference than many would believe. Looking forward to hearing how it goes on the final tune :)

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi guys,

Final tune is done :) on 98 pump!

Refer to attached graph, it made @ 23psi:
405awkw (i.e. 550awhp)
930nm (i.e. 686ft-lbs)
445rwkw (i.e. 605rwhp)

To put this into perspective, my previous rb26 on the same dyno & turbo's made 750nm.
Rev limit is set at 9000rpm although the above figures are based on 8500rpm.

It drives like an absolute weapon & what a difference the extra capacity makes, it really is phenomenal!
My tuner’s comments:
"you have the best combo for the street, the average torque increase is HUGE & will feel like an rb26 with 480awkw"
"wait till you drive it, it will be completely different to any gtr"

The car was squirming from left/right on the dyno, the reason is due to torque steer which my tuner has only seen on 1 other gtr with an OS Giken 3.0ltr with T51R & made 480awkw.
We were going to go to 24psi but my actuators wouldn’t allow this as they are set @ 0.7bar, he suggested at this boost level it will make 415awkw.
currently @ 23psi he said it is very safe for hot days & has purposely ran it a bit richer.

My next step (if I want more power) is to run E85 which is a new pump fuel which was realeased here in Aust not long ago (approx. 106ron), upgrade to 1600cc injectors & run 1.2-1.5bar actuators. This will give me an average gain of 50awkw (i.e. over 450awkw) & over 1000nm.
My tuner was very happy with the results considering the engine ran stock valves, intake plenum & throttle bodies.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it pulls like a train - rb26 simply does not compare.
gtr's should have rb30's from the factory, maybe the reason why the r35 now has a 3.8ltr

·
Registered
798 Posts
well done ,marko..!Your car sounds like a total monster.The torque figure is serious!i had a gt-rs on my old 180sx running an sr20..2 of these turbos on a rb30 must be insane:smokin::smokin:

just a thought on e85 as you mention it..i was thinking the same with my car,uprate the fuel system again and remap for e85, however last week the guy who tuned my car(he has a 1000bhp 32 gtr)badly damaged hes head due to a bad batch of E85.egt levels went away too high and melted part of the head..after hearing that im going to steer clear of it i reakon..!im sure e85 can "go off"

You could always uprate your actuators,stiffer springs etc..base set to .9 and go from there..

·
Registered
885 Posts
well done ,marko..!Your car sounds like a total monster.The torque figure is serious!i had a gt-rs on my old 180sx running an sr20..2 of these turbos on a rb30 must be insane:smokin::smokin:

just a thought on e85 as you mention it..i was thinking the same with my car,uprate the fuel system again and remap for e85, however last week the guy who tuned my car(he has a 1000bhp 32 gtr)badly damaged hes head due to a bad batch of E85.egt levels went away too high and melted part of the head..after hearing that im going to steer clear of it i reakon..!im sure e85 can "go off"

You could always uprate your actuators,stiffer springs etc..base set to .9 and go from there..
Maybe you should not talk about your mechanics car publicly and leave him to talk about it,if he wants to.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

yes ive heard a copule disaster stories so im not 100% sold on e85 as yet...1 of my mates was making 460awkw @ 23psi on 98 pump fuel, with e85 he was able to run 580wkw @ 32psi SAFELY!

although, on the way home from the dyno run 1 of the turbo's let go (hks 3037's)...im sure the additional boost is a lot more strain on the engines components

1 - 20 of 195 Posts