GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i was out driving when my car when it decided to light up like a fairgound.
all my warning lights came on greabox, 4wd, vdc, key, and master warning light
the the gears started flashing on the dash, water temp drop to -40. pull over turn'd her off 10mins later she fired up and drove fine....... but then it happen agen, and guess wot agen 3 f****ing times. just about made it home. i rang middle hurst told me to check brake fluid levels, was fine now they need to see the car.
has anyone else had problems like this or can anyone tell me want mite be causing this?

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
Judging by all the "caution and warning" lights, you should have said...

"Middlehursts, we have a problem...."

In all seriousness, I hope this gets sorted asap for you. Knowing Linda at MH as I do, she'll have you sorted in a jiffy.

·
Registered
331 Posts
well, i was out driving when my car when it decided to light up like a fairgound.
all my warning lights came on greabox, 4wd, vdc, key, and master warning light
the the gears started flashing on the dash, water temp drop to -40. pull over turn'd her off 10mins later she fired up and drove fine....... but then it happen agen, and guess wot agen 3 f****ing times. just about made it home. i rang middle hurst told me to check brake fluid levels, was fine now they need to see the car.
has anyone else had problems like this or can anyone tell me want mite be causing this?

hi i will try to help you
i do know alittle on fashhing lights & i love them lol

how ever your sought of flashing lights (not as pleaseing :(

this is my advice due to your limited data given!!
all nissans after a certain year suffer from ecu dash light issues

the r35 gtr is no differant
the main issues with these systems revolve round low battery voltage

many gtrs are not used on a regular basis so battery voltage beggins to drop ! after a time the ecu throws up error codes all over the place!

in my experiance (guru status) badge expert your nissan sorry r35
has picked up code errors
the main one will be steering angle/ this will give your symtoms
i had traction lights/gear lights/suspension lights/return to dealer
all flashing!!!
what to do not telling you!
....................................................................................
only joking first trickle charge battery all night
then the difficult bit to belieave(trust me)
get your self down to your freindly nissan dealer(the ones with micras out side) ask them if they would be so kind to put there consult3 onto the dl16 data port(they will know where it is)you might use it if you have a cobb access port.
the technition selects 350z (dont laugh)run system
codes are wiped and this time stay off..before all you comics expect it to run like a "Z" it wont !!
you might have to persuade the technition but it works!! 9times out of 10 and if it doesnt youve lost a tenner HPC centres what do they know appart from very large invoices!! save your self some cash and give it ago i did.....i good luck kk:thumbsup:

·
Registered
131 Posts
The Truth Will Out

In all seriousness, I hope this gets sorted asap for you. Knowing Linda at MH as I do, she'll have you sorted in a jiffy.[/QUOTE]

I see, and just how well do you know Linda. Taking the 5th is not an option over here, sorry.:chuckle:

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
I see, and just how well do you know Linda. Taking the 5th is not an option over here, sorry.:chuckle:
She's had chocolates and flowers off me.......

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
I work with these units every day. You seam to have a fault with one of the many ECU, ECM, BSI or cluster the GTR has. Its in your best intrest to reset all of these units by removing the neg cable from the battery and leaving it for a good 1 hour. Reconnect and you should be O.K. If it happens again, you've got a serious fault and you hould have you car sent to your local HPC straight away. This fault will be stored within the so call mysterious black box found on the GTR and if not its a pile of shite.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update!!!
Midedlehurst collected my GTR R35 last week and after testing all wiring and ECU's they found the problem was the engine ECU.
The problem occured due to having the car flashed and re-maped by ecutek software, which may contain crupt files in result needing a new engine ECU.
Ever since i had the flash and re-map ive had numerous amount of electrical faults with the car.
Within 2 hours of having it done, the car went into limp mode when i was in heavy traffic on the M6 going home. I had to leave the car for 10 minutes in the hard shoudler till it restarted and went back to normal.
I rang Ian from Litchfield to ask him why the car was behaving like this and questioned him on whether it was to do with the flash and re-map because i NEVER had any problems with the car before. He told me it was nothing to do with re-map and ive probably got a problem with the gearbox (which i thought was a bit cheecky as ive never had any problems with the car).
Spoke to him today and i told him the full 100 that his re-map has caused my ENGINE ECU to fail. He then went on to tell me that his re-map was unlikely to cause this problem but was willing to help me solve the problem by taking my ECU and updating it with the new software that he had got.
I will be hearing from him hearing from him tomorrow as he told me he would speak to Middlehurst and also told me he would go up there and try and fix the problem, so i will see what he says tomorrow .

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Are Middlehurst refusing to warranty repair the failure as a result of their findings?

Did you volunteer the info to them?

What stage remap are you running by the way?

D

PS Hope it gets sorted without too much pain to the wallett!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I'm sure Ian will look after you. ECUs can be weird, but it is often incorrect to blame them, but -40 on the MFD happens when the MFD is not receiving CAN signals from the ECM. Flash memory techniques are not always reliable, they can be voltage, RF and timing sensitive. With checksums and self testing though, they usually tend to be all or nothing, the car won't start or it will and is perfect. It may be that ECM replacement is not the end of your issues, but I hope it is for you.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The only way this will now bee sorted is either a new ecu or the exact same dump file to be re-instated in to your ecu. To be honest with you i dont know why people are bothering with this cars performance via the ecu as 100s of stories have come out of the states and australia about the issues people have had. Nissan has sucked all the performance out of this so if your going to upgrade in any way start with the hardware and not bits of it as the bits you dont change will probably fail due to the stress. Cobb tuning got it right as you always have the original file within a box so if any errors are caused by a new map the original can always be uploaded, unless the hardware fails whilst uploading or downloading. All the best you may need it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I'm aware of few flash related problems on GTRs. In the main LC1 failures, engine bearing failures, BCM failures, key failures, solenoid failures on stock and tuned cars.

The gains from simply flashing are huge on this car with high 2s 0-60, high 6s 0-100 and high 10s on the quarter on the best stock cars with just a flash and with excellent reliability apart from the known issues above.

·
Registered
565 Posts
IF it can be proven that the ECU reflash caused the issue AND Middlehurst are not going to cover a new ECU under warranty (Don't see why they should as you have played with it) then hopefully Ian Litchfield will do the decent thing and ensure your car is repaired so that it is running 100% even if this includes stumping up for a new ECU.

Dont hold your breath!!

·
Vendor
787 Posts
Just to be clear on this before trial by internet takes over :( The first I knew of any “ECU fault” was from Mr Thompson’s phone call at 17:14pm yesterday.

Some brief history. The car was actually my old demo and has been through various owners and thus far as not caused a problem. Not bad considering it was the first car in the UK and with over 40,000 spirited miles :)

As you can imagine it has been programmed a few times with the ECUTEK software, of which we have never had a problem with ANY GTR we have programmed. No “Bricked” ECUs.

Mr Thompson visited us on the 5th of November last year for tyres, an exhaust fit and remap. I tested and logged the car after the remap and everything we fine.

Just before he reach home he said a “gearbox light came on when at the redline in 2nd gear” the car when into limp mode. I called Mr Thompson the next day but no answer.

I heard nothing more about the problem until by chance I met Mr Thompson at the Autosport Show. He said the fault had not re-appeared after turning the car on and off and seemed happy as we discussed further upgrades including intercoolers etc.

So the next time I hear of this was late yesterday afternoons phone call. Mr Thompson said he did not have any more problems (including a driving trip to Europe) until about a week and a half ago. I explained that I did not think that the ECU remap had caused a problem particularly as such a long period of time had passed without fault. I said I would speak to Middlehurst and help him resolve it.
I immediately called Middlehurst but there was no answer, understandable at that time.

I spoken to Andy Middlehurst first thing this morning and then immediately left a message for Mr Thompson to call me. Andy and I discussed the faults and that they would send the ECU straight to ECUTEK for examination. We both thought it very unlikely that the act of reprogramming the ECU had caused the problem but ECUTEK would be able to check.

Moments later Andy called me back to say he has spoken with his chief technician he believes it wasn’t the reprogramming but an unrelated communication error with the ECU as Consult III would no longer communicate.

So after a few hours of work this morning I thought I’d read some of the forums only to discover this thread, joy :(

So I think it’s fair to say we have acted correctly, quickly, and will continue to support our customer. Naturally we will make any decisions once the FACTS are know on exactly what has gone wrong with the car.

Iain

1 - 20 of 51 Posts