GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had one of those youtube style side by side drag races from a 20 mph rolling start with my mates 09 RS6 (580 bhp model)
Forgot to put it in race mode too, upto 100 the gtr pulled a good 50 meter gap then pulled that out to about 100 meters at 160 mph at which point we slowed.
When i looked at the clock and it said 160 i was amazed because it felt about 120 mph.
Of course this was on a private runway, as he was always behind me he was blown away by how good the car sounded (milltek Y pipe).
Accelerating just in a straight drag like this you get used to the performance really quickly and ive found myself thinking seriously about the cobb ap, but just goes to show how quick it really is anyway

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
The AP makes a tremendous difference to straight line acceleration. The RS6 wouldnt stand a chance.

You know you want one......!! ;)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Audi rs6 :D Love those car's
Very nice understated motor, exhaust note on gear changes sounds like thunder.

And Charles, stop it im trying hard to fight this urge.
Say for example i had a g/box problem wasnt covered by the warranty and needed to find somewhere near $18k. My wife would quite literally cut em off.
BTW a friend who has just bought himself a new gtr was speaking to Litchfields and they told him they were close to getting a solution on wiping clean the counter that says how many times the ecu has been reflashed.
Anyone else heard anything about this?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I nearly bought an RS6, but the weight and size of it, plus preference for a saloon (hardly any RS6 saloon available used and I'm not paying new price for an RS6), and deciding I could live with the refinement and ride of the GTR and that is what I went for.

The RS6 should accelerate like the GTR, but doesn't. There is less than 300kg weight difference which you would think that 85BHP would make up for, but perhaps the RS6 doesn't make its quoted power, most of the normally aspirated RS models don't. RS6 kickdown at high speed is hilarious, but the GTR is more hilarious.

My attitude to modification is that the GTR, especially when modified has a range of abilities that would cost many times more than its price plus the cost of a gearbox failure, especially now that aftermarket gearbox parts are becoming available, although I won't welcome the bill if it arrives. However, I would personally limit to 600 BHP and 1.2 bar and stock turbos to avoid overcoming design limits of the engine and gearbox.

It is seriously more expensive to run and repair a GTR than other cars like an Evo which can be modified to have similar performance, and when they break a gearbox it only costs about £700 to find a nearly new replacement (as I did in January this year on my IX) rather than say £10k. However, a high power Evo just makes a unpleasant noise and you feel like you're driving around a boy racer's tin can, wonderful as they are for the money.

Accessport even before custom tuning is hilarious.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
the RS6 is a mad car, when you consider that it's a saloon with a twin-turbocharged Gallardo engine stuck under the hood.

GT-Rs in general earned their reputation by giant-killing. A 50 meter lead is an absolute slaughter. A full car length or two is all that's needed to establish pecking order.

Too bad they couldn't get that biturbo V10 into the R8, I mean they did, but it had that "catch on fire" issue :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts