GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
History

Hi all, as I'm a new member here please let me introduce myself, my name's Matt. I think being a member to these forums and GTROC is very long overdue considering the length of time of actually owning a Skyline, so here goes with a little history to get started.

I bought my car way back when you hardly ever saw them in the UK, which is one thing that attracted me to it in the first place.
The guy I got it from was just starting out in the import business and this was his first vehicle. A completely standard 1993 GTS 25t, two tone example (1N4, KL0 on top and KM1 on the bottom), complete with narrow band radio and old Japanese MOT certificates. Incidentally, his second car was an Impreza WRX which blew up a couple of weeks later after racing an old Sierra Cosworth. Pushed it too hard I guess! ;)

The car stayed unmodified for many years except for the stereo, which was promptly replaced with a, at the time, brand new Pioneer AVH-P6500DVD with TV option, reversing camera, 10inch sub and Infinity mids and tweeter all round (All of which still works to this day, except for the TV part of course...damn digital switchover lol). The next thing to be replaced were the wheels, 18inch RS alloys and then once again, the modifications took a back seat for a while until I took the car to Abbey Motorsport for a thorough service and a couple of upgrades: Uprated fuel pump, Gizzmo boost controller, BC Racing coilovers, cross drilled brakes and Apexi induction system. They were also kind enough to fix a failing speedo which actually packed up on the journey down there, doh! This kept my interest going, for a while.

My first drive after many winter months of standing dormant revealed the rather annoying, but common, ticking noise coming from the offside, especially when full lock left. Wheels off, hubs cleaned, job done :) Time for Garage-D to do an all round inspection plus one or two extras. After the installation of a FMIC, adjustable camber arms, Blitz BOV, full 3inch custom stainless exhaust and a much needed remap, the power was almost up to stage 1, a conservative but reliable 320hp. In fact, I would've loved to have fitted a replacement ECU at this point too but couldn't quite stretch the budget.

Not being able to progress further with any significant performance mods due to the lack of an ECU didn't bother me. Instead my attention turned to the aesthetics of the engine bay. I decided to do a little cleaning, after all, you see so many Skylines nowadays where the owners have concentrated so much on the outside and as soon as you open up the bonnet it's like it's never been touched, why not keep the inside clean too right? I got a few bits and pieces polished up and I sourced a coilpack cover for an RB25 Neo engine because it was plain and therefore, could be customised easily. I also installed a number of shiny stainless bits, Tomei oil cap, machined radiator brackets, Nismo radiator cap, dual air horns (Couldn't resist it!), two HID kits for low and high beam (The indicator stalk had to be modified to allow both beams to be on at the same time in order to overcome the warm up issue associated with HID kits. Not sure why it wasn't designed like this in the first place!), TurboSmart FPR with a gauge, Earl's braided hoses and ends, AN rocker cover adaptors and a D1 Spec oil catch can in place of the unsightly, and now rather redundant, carbon canister.

Hand painted and airbrushed.

Nice and shiny :)

The inside still looks relatively unmodified (Compared to some!). A low mileage Series 3 GTR interior, including: all door cards, front and rear seats, parcel shelf with square speaker grilles (Great for hiding tweeters under), GTR rear strut brace and Nissan Almera chrome door handles. More recently a nice NRG Innovations "Thin version" neochrome quick release, HKB steering wheel boss, Momo drifting steering wheel, generic short shift and a polished fire extinguisher adorned the inside. I have a fully refurbished GTR instrument cluster waiting to be installed and one of those quirky but rare Nissan Puretron devices for the parcel shelf along with its' remote control. Also waiting to be fitted is a Gizzmo touch sensitive shift light, Defi BF Advance boost, water temp, oil temp, oil pressure and fuel pressure gauges + accompanying custom gauge pods, genuine Nissan aluminium sports pedal set, Alcantara handbrake and gear knob gaiters, NRG neochrome handbrake handle and button and lastly, an NRG neochrome gear knob. I'm in two minds whether or not to install my Greddy Informeter Touch because it'll become largely non-functional once an aftermarket ECU is installed (If I ever get round to getting one!), hmm not sure about that one.

In the last couple of years I've noticed a few rust spots appear here and there, mainly on the sills and the classic front suspension turret top problem which usually just gets filled and covered only to come back a year later, you know who you are lol! The car owes me so little, I think it's about time to take it for some much needed TLC in the form of a full restoration and to convert the body shell to look like the GTR. I've always loved the stance of the GTR :) so I planned to fit full fibreglass rear quarters but ultimately decided to do it properly. Genuine GTR rear quarters on standby! A full Do-Luck Aero Wivern style kit was promptly purchased from the fantastic Gary at Japsalon, which I'm sure many of you will know. He was very generous in agreeing to let me have a go at making part of my own kit too, top man and very helpful. I actually tried my best to source a pair of Do-Luck Aero Wivern wing mirrors but was advised they don't fit on the R33 because the original mirrors needed extensive modification (??????), frustration ensued! Anyway if anyone's got any ideas or advice on this give me a shout.

Bobby and Jay at Zealou5 have been kind enough to accept the massive job of carrying out all the work. Like Gary, top guys coupled with amazing workmanship, enthusiasm and a great eye for detail, definitely made the right choice. I've taken them a huge list of parts which now await their attention.

One of the rear quarters.

As the title suggests, let the restoration begin (Pics to follow shortly).

·
Registered
55 Posts
I never loved a R33 before, even a GTR R33...
But after seeing your GTS, I don't know why, I am starting to love it! :bowdown1:

Very very nice car and project, Matt! I believe you are a very proud owner... Keep us posted :wavey:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never loved a R33 before, even a GTR R33...
But after seeing your GTS, I don't know why, I am starting to love it! :bowdown1:

Very very nice car and project, Matt! I believe you are a very proud owner... Keep us posted :wavey:
Thanks very much. I am indeed a very proud owner. It's in the hands of the masters as we speak :) so hopefully updates will come soon.

·
Registered
55 Posts
hey, by the way, I just realized you hand painted that engine part... AWESOME! very neat! you should post your process in painting it :bowdown1:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey, by the way, I just realized you hand painted that engine part... AWESOME! very neat! you should post your process in painting it :bowdown1:
Cheers:) I wish I'd taken more photos of the process so I could show you guys but unfortunately I didn't :confused:

I might do the front engine cover too so I can do write up then (With pics) but I don't think I'm going to be putting any lettering on it, just continue the flag pattern.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Cheers:) I wish I'd taken more photos of the process so I could show you guys but unfortunately I didn't :confused:

I might do the front engine cover too so I can do write up then (With pics) but I don't think I'm going to be putting any lettering on it, just continue the flag pattern.
Nah, it's alright mate...
Seeing the finish product is already a satisfying moment :)
I wonder what are you next projects, though...

But you know what, somehow I find GTS25T like yours is sexier than a R33 GTR, I don't know why... :runaway: I've seen a few revving like hell in London, I met one when I was on a bus but I just didn't get the chill.. Sorry for those who own R33 GTR, I'm not saying R33 is a rubbish, not at all... :bowdown1

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Just wanted to say how excited we are that Matt bought his 33 Gtst to us for this extensive conversion and restoration work. It's a big project with a very clear vision.:bowdown1:
When complete this is going to be an amazing car:clap:
Just need to clear some smaller jobs through and then will get some pics up of this beauty!
:thumbsup:
bob

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just wanted to say how excited we are that Matt bought his 33 Gtst to us for this extensive conversion and restoration work. It's a big project with a very clear vision.:bowdown1:
When complete this is going to be an amazing car.clap:
Just need to clear some smaller jobs through and then will get some pics up of this beauty!
bob
What Bobby said lol :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow, what Bobby said makes me very very curious :chuckle:
Good luck, Matt and Bobby :wavey:

I'll be here waiting... LOL :) :cool:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Cannot wait to get started on this, there's a lot of work to do but going by matts instructions it will look fantastic when it's finished!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Although a long way off, I Just thought I'd post pics of a few bits and pieces awaiting installation.

Genuine Nissan sports pedal set

New badges :)

Just for show.

All new exterior parts so very shiny.

Touch sensitive Gizzmo shift light

Loads of Defi gauges to install.

Back soon.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Jay and I got started on Matt's awesome project today. More to come very soon.....

bob

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Time for an update.

Ok so we've been very busy on Matt's R33 GTStR the last week or so.
:cool:
Of course we started with a quick wash, don't want to be putting covers on cars with dirt and grime on the paint.:)

Matt has done some really incredible work on his 33, his attention to detail is just awesome! :thumbsup:

Its a car that is going to be totally transformed in the next month or so, so excited about the plans Matt has for his beauty!:)

Seriously when it's done you wont recognised the old girl.:bowdown1:

Setting the car up on the 2 post ramp is something we take very seriously, hate to see the sort of damage that can be caused by garages who don't.:flame:

One of the things Matt has asked us to address is the rust damage in the front strut tops.
We've done quite a few now from shocking to ones like this. But you'll always be surprised how much rust is hidden between the two layers and what a bad design it is in the first place.

Like I said the attention to detail on this car is stunning!
Eye candy opportunity!:popcorn:

The strip down begins, every part that comes off is bagged, labelled and boxed to protect from damage. Photos taken along the way as every car is different and we want it to
go back the way we found it.

Intake, bumper, intercooler and pipework all getting stripped as the engine is coming out for a full restoration and respray.

Time has taken its toll on a few things even though generally Matt's 33 is very clean. But on a car this age you'd expect the odd thing to need replacing/refreshing.

Luckily were fitting a Greddy plenum so the oem one will be being replaced.

We also protected Matt's cool artwork on his cam covers from damage or scratches whilst removing the engine.

All fluids drained almost ready for the engine and box to come out.:clap:
Rad, front top suspension arms, prop shaft all need to come out still.

;)
bob

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Appologies for some of the quality of the pics, forgot the camera so they're just off the phone.
:banned:

Final prep for engine and gearbox removal.

After a little bit of to and fro she came out a treat!
Much prefer getting engines in and out this way as there's much less change of damage to the chassis/engine bay area.

Much smaller than the heffalump that comes out of a GTR!!!! :chuckle:

Safe n sound split into easier manageable components!;)

1 - 20 of 226 Posts