GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two keys for my Skyline which I believe is common. One opens both doors, the boot and the glove box, but not the ignition. The other will only work in the ignition. Is this the normal configuration?

I had thought that the ignition key would at least operate the doors as well. I ask as I am planning to get a new key cut and this makes things twice as expensive!!! :)

James

·
GTROC Member
267 Posts
I've got an R32GTR and have 2 keys. Both open the doors, glovebox and boot, and both work in the ignition. Was the same in my previous R32GTR.

You don't say which model of skyline you have so it could be different for newer models, or alternatively maybe the ignition barrel has been changed at some point, as this seems the "odd one out"?

Conrad.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Not wishing to cast a doubt on the history of your car mate, but it sounds to me like somebody has tried to, or indeed nicked it in the past, hence the ignition barrel having to be replaced.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
what model Skyline do you have? Could be just worn out keys....my R32 key wouldn't open the trunk, and would only work in the ignition and doors if the key was a certain side up. Had new copies made from that key, and now the copy works everywhere including the trunk, right side up or upside down. Go figure....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is an R33 GTR

The manual does mention the fact that there are two variants of the key. One for boot & glove box an possibly the doors and the other for, I think, the doors and ignition. I must apologise for my bad memory as I unfortunately do not have the manual with me.

I have no reason to suspect any foul play on the car (theft or otherwise). It has a clean history and no other ominous signs. It just seems slightly unusual. It could be an ignition barrel change but for what other reason I can't be sure.

James

1 - 5 of 5 Posts