GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
What's no.1 in the collection?
Something probably not to your liking, but it really started me off on the modifying road and I have lots of memories (good & bad), it's a BMW E39 M5 which I eventually took over to Germany to have Ralf Kellener & his dealership have tune, camshafts, lifters, full ECU remap on their inhouse dyno.

It’s still normally aspirated and pushed out 430hp/390lbs. Mods included GruppeM CAI, AC Schnitzer DFC suspension, Brembo GT brakes allround 8pot/380mm fronts, 4pot/345mm rears, ACS 19s, Supersprint full exhaust, they developed the RHD headers/manifold from my car at their r&d factory in Italy. Uprated 3.46 diff, Rogue SSK, Spec clutch kit, single mass flywheel etc..

Was featured in TotalBMW magazine in 2006. The rare ACS DFC - Damper Force Control was one of the first aftermarket suspensions to offer damper control back in 2004. E60 M5 then had it as a standard option. The S62 V8 engine is really nice, with a good exhaust, it really sings!

:smokin:

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
nice write up Tin. I think you took me out in this when you raced the bike at 'the showdown'?

Out of curiosity, do you remember off hand the approx. cost of the 2,4,6 Dodson gear cluster? Other than that, I have similar box mods to you and semi regret not enquiring about the cost of the secondary shaft.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
nice write up Tin. I think you took me out in this when you raced the bike at 'the showdown'?

Out of curiosity, do you remember off hand the approx. cost of the 2,4,6 Dodson gear cluster? Other than that, I have similar box mods to you and semi regret not enquiring about the cost of the secondary shaft.
Thanks Martin, yep I remember that day, was great fun :) When's the next one?

Just had a quick look at the invoice, and the 2/4/6 shaft itself is £110+vat.
Did you do other 1/3/5?

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Thanks Tin. I assume that's £110 plus the gears? (If not - kill me now!) Although I guess the gears are only going to be £150 - £200 ish each.

Learnt a lot on that showdown as was bigger than the local ones we had run previously - but was certainly hard work. Maybe 2017, but we would like to run on a bigger runway - which has proven too difficult to sort without it being really very expensive.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks Tin. I assume that's £110 plus the gears? (If not - kill me now!) Although I guess the gears are only going to be £150 - £200 ish each.

Learnt a lot on that showdown as was bigger than the local ones we had run previously - but was certainly hard work. Maybe 2017, but we would like to run on a bigger runway - which has proven too difficult to sort without it being really very expensive.
Yes, gears are all extra, not sure on those prices, as I didn't want to go that far, other than the 1st gear.

Shame on the runway day, perhaps a closed circuit, which has a good long straight section.. Bedford :chuckle: (Guess they'd hate the noise though). Rockingham has a nice banked corner which can easily hit over 100mph

Stage 5.5 is listed here on the Stage 5 section: Nissan GTR Stage Upgrades - Litchfield Motors
Thanks Mr B! :thumbsup: I knew I wasn't making it up, would be funny to get a stage named after yourself though... 'Yes I'd like a Tin stage please' :smokin: (just kidding).

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Got the car back on monday, and headed up to Donington Park for a trackday yesterday. :D Only ran it at 1.3bar ~750hp and wow, simply brilliant. :bowdown1:

The power is amazing, it was very good at 800, but it's epic now. Still need to get used to the slight jerkiness of the 1st-2nd gear change, but once the clutches have been bedded in, that should be gone.

The handling kit has made a vast improvement too, turn in now, is quicker and sharper.:cool:

Going back to Litchfields next week to get a MOT, alignment and a few niggles ironed with ecutek.

Have been using the new Ecutek OBD bluetooth unit, its great upgrade, so much more useful, being able to scan for errors, check maps, adjust options etc. from your iphone :clap:

:runaway:

Few pics

·
Premium Member
7,640 Posts
Always loved your car buster. Very smart

Reactions: Tin

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Glad to see a GTR being used properly!

Enjoy

Reactions: Rich_A and Tin

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Minor update, collected the car back from Litchfields today (sorting out a few niggles plus geometry/mot etc).

Drove back and its simply crazy, love it! power delivery is silky smooth, and very very very fast! I didn't realize I was doing some of the speeds, till I looked down :D

Gear changes in normal town driving have got alot smoother, clutches bedding in nicely.

Also checked fuel economy (ala chronos style), was getting 28mpg at a steady 70mph reported on the MFD.

:smokin:

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Was at Silverstone today, and wow, car was faultless, everything worked brilliantly. Even pumped up the boost to 1.6bar in one session and it was epic. Toyos R888Rs got a good workout today, they are a really really good tyre in the dry! R-R-OFF :D

Jake was also there today and I asked him to drive, as I wanted to see how good it could be in more capable hands and even he commented - "it's [email protected]@king fast! Smooth power, Handles really well and brakes and turn in are awesome"

Not more I can add to that! :smokin:

Drove down to London this evening too and in slow moving traffic gear changes have become alot smoother too.

·
Premium Member
7,640 Posts
A proper car being used properly.

Love it buddy.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
A proper car being used properly.

Love it buddy.
Totally agree.

I love the near OEM styling, and much prefer the wheels you are running now rather than wheel set no2.

Glad you are using it properly and I bet the performance is hairy. How long track sessions do you go out for out of interest, do the tyres go off before the brakes?

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Love the colour, any plans to visit Donington again?
Yes, next month, but probably not in the GTR. I think the Donington National circuit is alittle short for the GTR, still alot of fun though. Spa trip booked in May.

Totally agree.

I love the near OEM styling, and much prefer the wheels you are running now rather than wheel set no2.

Glad you are using it properly and I bet the performance is hairy. How long track sessions do you go out for out of interest, do the tyres go off before the brakes?
Thanks, I do really like the wheels, a tad darker colour would be better I feel - smoked chrome, although I think it needs a rear wing of somekind, to finish it off. Going to concentrate on the interior alittle more now, few alcantara & carbon pieces.

Track sessions vary as did get quite a few red lights on tuesday (race cars braking down and being towed off :nervous:) but typically between 15-20min stints are more than enough for me. Temp wise, the engine oil doesn't get as hot as it did before the engine forging, oil has also changed to Motul too.

I also have a manual switch for an inline transmission oil pump, which pushes the oil through the HKS DCT cooler, trans temps from 110 come straight down to around 94 on the cool down lap.

Tyre's were getting very hot and did hit 40psi in one session, came back in and let them down to 35-36psi - found that to the hot sweet spot for R888Rs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Love your car and nice to see GTRs being used for what they were intended. Learnt a few things reading your thread too, Gearboxes don't seem as chocolate as it appeared from watching TX2K as there was one breaking every 15 minutes lol

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
A few updates, updated the visual looks with the newer style front and rear MY14+ headlights, they have a brighter light beam at night, certainly helps with travelling warp speeds ;)

Just got back from Spa Franchorchamps.. and she didn't miss a beat, other than a bit of topup oil. R888r's are great, had been trying different pressures throughout the day to get the most from them, 34psi hot was a good setting. Track temp was around 24degrees, sunny and dry both days :)

Going up Eau-Rouge, front nearside wheel was catching the arch liner. Hoping the DSC controller from Hugh can resolve that, as I'd still like to keep the Litchfield suspension with electronic dampering.

Brakes glowing.. need some brake ducts to channel some air.

·
Premium Member
7,640 Posts
Breathtaking.

That car, that track, that scenery.

Living the lifestyle Tin!!

21 - 40 of 62 Posts