GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says my lucks worse than yours

so a little back ground first, ok i bought my R33 GTR off a forum member (seemed like a very nice chap) had the car 2 days it started to smoke under boost so i rang up Rod at RB and he said it sounds like a turbo oil seal, and recomended i remove them and take them round for him to look at as i only live 30mins from them.
ok i thought "you were going to replace the turbo's anyway at some point so dont stress", started to take the turbo's off and i notice lose bolts and missing bolts , so i stoped and put the car on a trailer and sent it straight to rod not knowing enough about gtr's yet i thought let the experts sort it, Rod rings me back yesterday and says the turbo's are fine and he thinks the head gasket has gone and the engine has been serverly over heated( now remember i only had the car 2 day before this happend) and maybe cooked the piston rings.

so not only have i bought my dream car i've killed it in 2 days!!! I THINK NOT

So now i am very mad and wondering if the previous owner knew of the pending problems? as the first thing Rod asked was has it been using water and has it been running hot, to which i answered i've only done 200 miles in her and not hit full boost more than twice ggrrrrr

ps sorry if this is in the wrong section

so there i dare someone to have had worse luck in 3 days ownership of there skyline

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
mine was worse, bought a R32, blew the exhaust manifold gasket in a couple of days, fixed that and clutch went, got that replaced and turbos blew, then they blew again, then they blew again (second hand turbos :() then found out the chassis was bent from the previous owner throwing it in a ditch. and he claimed he never knew even tho he was a mechanic for maclaren.

Everyone has a skyline horror story lol

·
Registered
411 Posts
ive read of a LOT of people blowing up their gtr's just days after they got them, its really wierd

didnt you get a pre purchase inspection done or something... compression test, body checkup..

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
I think a lot of people sell them when they suspect something may not be right - because they don't have the cash to fix it themselves.

·
Registered
136 Posts
ive read of a LOT of people blowing up their gtr's just days after they got them, its really wierd

didnt you get a pre purchase inspection done or something... compression test, body checkup..
Won't be easy to do if the car is located out of the way...

Very good idea though, and for those in the market for a gtr,emphasizes the importance for a professional inspection.

I've asked the garages, full inspections are about £150. Compression test £40-50. Well worth it IMHO.

Feel for you, MrGT...hope you get to sort it out.

p/s My last R33 gtr also blew up the day after I sold it. But the buyer over-revved it and was cool about it.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Well....

48 hrs after owning mine, I belted it into a pole on a fence and it needed a new rad,intercooler,bonnet,lights,gaurds,and paint.....

after fixing it, 3 mths later it spun a bearing....

then it lunched a turbo a year later....

then it lunched a 2530 turbo I bought to replace the N1s that blew up....

....But I love it still! LOL!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well....

48 hrs after owning mine, I belted it into a pole on a fence and it needed a new rad,intercooler,bonnet,lights,gaurds,and paint.....

after fixing it, 3 mths later it spun a bearing....

then it lunched a turbo a year later....

then it lunched a 2530 turbo I bought to replace the N1s that blew up....

....But I love it still! LOL!
that is bad look i'll give you that and raise you a knakered clutch Rod at rb just rang me back to say the clutch is goung aswell :bawling:

well at least when i get her back they wont be much left to go wrong:chairshot

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well at least when i get her back they wont be much left to go wrong:chairshot
I would'nt say that.[/QUOTE]

hence the little man hitting me with a chair i just hope (fingers crossed in fact everything crossed) that when i get her back she's sorted

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hi Tib

Really sorry and truly saddened by what has happened. I genuinely wanted to keep this car but as discussed it was only sold because the wifey made me. It has never been smoking or any other issues before hand. Nor am I saying that you have done all this in 2 days, 200 miles. But I had been driving the car for the past 10 weeks that it was for sale, so it wasnt a case of something wrong and I wanted rid of it. Secondly I couldnt bring myself to do something like that, as for missing bolts etc, ive never had the turbos off etc so that is how i got it. That is how it has been for the past 4-5years with no issues.

In answer to Rods questions (who I advised you to take the car to, which I wouldnt have done if I thought there was something sinister and wrong) it never lost water and never went higher than usual temps, the oil pressure has always remained good and I also showed this when it was run. I even pushed her when I took you for a drive and there was no smoke, no loss of power, no loss of oil pressure or boost. I really dont know what to say mate. When i was selling it I even had one person interested who was willing to bring the TweenieRob to come and check her over, to which I had no objections because I had nothing to hide.

After all this though I really do feel genuinely upset that this has happened and shocked. Didnt really want to put this out on the forum but felt i have to defend myself.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Plus any issues I did have I was never shy about putting them up on the forum, so you will have a history of my issues and fixes in my previous posts, which incidently was only the clutch pivot bolt.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
3 days seem to be the common thing on gtr really. :(

My first gtr blew a big end in 3 days so that had a full rebuild. Then i wrote it off after 3 months :(

My 2nd gtr a blew another big end on the 3rd day. :chuchkle:

Good luck getting it all sorted mate you will not regret it pal :)

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
I bought my car 7 years ago, within 2 days i had a severe misfire, the car was in a garage for 3 weeks till it was fixed, cars been great ever since, sometimes these things happen.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
i can beat that!

My car arrived with a damaged 3rd gear so it had a new gearbox before i picked it up. It also had a new N1 water pump fitted in japan as it was leaking a wee bit.

Picked up car and drove it home in pooring rain down the motorway (first time i had drove it)

Gave it some crap on the motorway to se what it went like thinking 4 wheel drive baby, loads of grip ! There was lack of grip and it tried to kill me in forth gear at 100 when it lit the rears up and got a major snake on. ( soiled myself)

So then i take it easy and park it up for the night! Next morning its nice and sunny so jump and get it warm. I floor it........ big bang..... o shit.

Pull over and the new N1 water pump has split into 2 and the viscous fan has gone around the enging pay smashing the nismo rad, belts, cam covers , cam belt, water bottle etc etc.

send it off for repairs. Get it back and give it some beans for now the 3rd time. Bang... now the clutch has let go and spat the bearings every where!

also turns out at this point that its stuck in rear wheel drive as the altessa system was not bled after gearbox refit. (it now works fine)

Send it off and get repaired. Give it some beans again and a turbo goes!

Thats about 250 miles i did .

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
in defence to northen monkey, if the rings etc had gone before you purchased i would of guessed it would of been smoking before you picked it up.

Im wondering if something else has gone wrong and caused it to over heat and maybe the temp gauge is not working properly? i would get the temp gauge checked out to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
in defence to northen monkey, if the rings etc had gone before you purchased i would of guessed it would of been smoking before you picked it up.

Im wondering if something else has gone wrong and caused it to over heat and maybe the temp gauge is not working properly? i would get the temp gauge checked out to be on the safe side.

Ok i want to make 1 thing clear i in no way blame northern monkey, very nice chap and directed me to rb, its just my bad luck, really im that unluckyim expecting a call off rod to say the car randomly exploded today lol.

And as for missing bolts im going to guess that before import it was running different turbo's and returned to stock for import and either the jap owner or importer removed the turbo's

Sorry if you felt i was having a dig at you northern monkey, Im not.

I just cant beleive my luck

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Ok i want to make 1 thing clear i in no way blame northern monkey, very nice chap and directed me to rb, its just my bad luck, really im that unluckyim expecting a call off rod to say the car randomly exploded today lol.

And as for missing bolts im going to guess that before import it was running different turbo's and returned to stock for import and either the jap owner or importer removed the turbo's

Sorry if you felt i was having a dig at you northern monkey, Im not.

I just cant beleive my luck

maybe i worded it wrong! I was not saying that, i was just trying to put a point accross that i cant see it being a fault there before you purchased the car, at the point being to other users on here etc.

I have read your other post and know you dont blame him.

Your luck is about the same as mine.

My post previous says about my bad luck and how i think i have had it worse! :D

To be fair every car i have owned has died on me after a days ownership.

And to the chap that said we should of brought supras, well i did, it melted some valves etc on its first day out.

In fact i still own it and the engine is in the dining room as we speak been rebuilt again (9 years on) I will post a pic for you. O and the mrs wanted to leave me when she found an engine in the dinning room one day LOL.

Give me 5 minitues on that photo!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts